So... I just saw the "Perfect Day" Ps4 commercial playing on the 360 dashboard.

#51Doom_InfinitePosted 10/27/2013 8:22:38 PM
ROFL if some X360 users saw the add and cancelled their Xbone preorders.
---
I am yours to command, point out our foes and step out of my way. - Adam, Shining Force
#52slyman19Posted 10/27/2013 8:45:59 PM
I really need some proof of this.
#53SparkItUpPosted 10/27/2013 9:06:38 PM(edited)
ssjgohhku posted...
Microsoft are genius they let Sony pay them huge amounts of $ for a few meaningless ads.

I wouldn't quite call them meaningless. If anything, quite the opposite since they are specifically targeting the Microsoft gamer and are reaching out to its base. The fact that Sony feels they are a seriously viable market to the point they would pay Microsoft for the ads says a lot in itself.

MegaWinFTW posted...

I somehow doubt you'd be calling ads meaningless if the roles were reversed here. Advertising is always far from meaningless.

exactimundo....Sony wouldn't toss Microsoft cash if they (Sony) didn't feel it would pay dividends in their favor.

---
http://youtu.be/Mke9EHMQMYI
Did you stand to close to the fire, like a liar looking for forgiveness from a stone...
#54NeoMonkPosted 10/27/2013 9:22:17 PM
This is kinda like when you're watching TV (if you have cable) and they show a Direct TV commercial...

Sure DirectTV runs circle on cable... but they don't care... they want dat dough!
---
"The Xbox One board isn't the place for personal anecdotes, joke topics or fanboy affair." Gamefaqs Moderator
#55ILikesCheesePosted 10/28/2013 5:11:47 AM
NeoMonk posted...
This is kinda like when you're watching TV (if you have cable) and they show a Direct TV commercial..Sure DirectTV runs circle on cable... but they don't care... they want dat dough!

No.

A correct analogy would be watching a program on CBS at 8pm, and then seeing a commercial for a show airing on NBC also at 8pm.
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#56Exodus_PrimePosted 10/28/2013 5:21:40 AM
SunDevil77 posted...
Eoin posted...
SunDevil77 posted...
And with every BluRay disc, I believe Microsoft makes cash from their VC-1

Nope. Use of VC-1 is licensed by MPEG LA and they only need to be paid if the VC-1 codec is actually used. Which...isn't very often (this is the codec use for Blu-rays released in 2013):

http://www.blu-raystats.com/Pies/Codec3DPie.php?AVCCount=206&MPEG2Count=0&VC1Count=4

Microsoft's major source of income from VC-1 isn't even codec licenses - it's selling mastering software. At a guess though, based on that chart, I wouldn't imagine that they're selling masses of that.

I see. No idea how that stuff really works, but it's just silly when people think that companies don't use each other's tech.

Microsoft pays them like 35 cents per disk I believe, that's what one of the business guys said on Gametrailers I forget his name, but they don't pay directly to Sony that's silly, Sony doesn't own the blue ray patent, it's a a lot of companies that own the Blue ray association or I forget it's name, but I think it's funny how the bronies on here don't mention how Sony pays Microsoft to use their Windows OS on their laptops and such.
---
Xbox One and PlayStation 4
Because I can buy both.
#57EoinPosted 10/28/2013 5:27:47 AM(edited)
Exodus_Prime posted...
Microsoft pays them like 35 cents per disk I believe, that's what one of the business guys said on Gametrailers I forget his name, but they don't pay directly to Sony that's silly, Sony doesn't own the blue ray patent, it's a a lot of companies that own the Blue ray association or I forget it's name

It's less than that per disc. The royalty rate for a data disc is US$0.0725. However, that's not relevant for Microsoft. Xbox One game discs are not licensed Blu-ray discs. They're Blu-ray variants (we can safely say that, now that we've seen retail boxes, which have no Blu-ray logo whatsoever). The only royalty payments Microsoft make for using Blu-ray will be for the console itself, which, as a Blu-ray player, will be subject to a US$9 royalty. Sony will get maybe US$2 of that.
#58VirobotPosted 10/28/2013 6:27:54 AM
scoobydoobydont posted...
DarkJaydragon posted...
scoobydoobydont posted...
This is a horrible misuse (in every sense) of a great song. I now hate Sony.

They are saying that all Sony users are heroin addicts.

Based on that commercial, I would say it's more than just Sony's users. I can't believe how rustled my jimmies are over this, I'm not even kidding. I guess I should consider myself lucky this is the first time a song I love is being s*** on to sell something, but it really pisses me off.

And if it was a Microsoft ad, no fanboys would be mad. Funny how fanboys operate.
---
PSN/Steam:Jareski
#59ILikesCheesePosted 10/28/2013 6:41:27 AM(edited)
Ignorance is...

Exodus_Prime posted...
Microsoft pays them like 35 cents per disk I believe, that's what one of the business guys said on Gametrailers I forget his name, but they don't pay directly to Sony that's silly, Sony doesn't own the blue ray patent, it's a a lot of companies that own the Blue ray association or I forget it's name, but I think it's funny how the bronies on here don't mention how Sony pays Microsoft to use their Windows OS on their laptops and such.

Intelligence is...

ILikesCheese posted...
There are MANY codecs that blu rays can use. The VC 1 is but one. It is up to the individual studios which codec is used. Also, Microsoft is but one of 18 owners of the patent. Furthermore, licensing fees for use of the codec are minimal. "Blu Ray" is also "owned" by several companies. However, Sony and Panasonic own the majority percentages IIRC, with Phillips in a distant third. The licensing fees are also much more substantial than that of the VC 1 codec.

If you want to be picky, no MS does not pay Sony directly, they pay the BDA, which in turn hands over a hefty percentage of that payment to Sony since Sony owns a majority stake in the patent. (Much more so than the $2 out of $9 mentioned above.) I especially like the "some guy some where at some time said so I think" two cents. Which humorously isn't worth two cents.

-
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#60CyborgTwentyPosted 10/28/2013 9:40:11 AM
Thanks for the ad Microsoft, i just pre ordered a PS4!