Whatever happened to LAN parties and stuff with Xbox consoles and games?

#1gfaqsterPosted 10/22/2013 1:44:05 PM
I miss the old days when every fps or multiplayer game on xbox had lan party options.
Halo was a great example of this.

Inviting over REAL LIFE friends to your REAL HOUSE and they brought their own consoles and you move the furniture connect the consoles and everyone has private tv sets and we all play multiplayer together in the same room and have a good time. just gaming and chillin.

Now it seems that a multiplayer game with a LAN option is as rare as finding a copy of Earthbound still sealed.

Whats nice is that you can STILL play Halo 1 multiplayer even though the online is gone because of lan party option.
But can you say the same about the most recent games or the upcoming ones?

the new XBOX One has the necessary ports and the games could have this feature.
but why do all games only have online multiplayer and not local multiplayer anymore?
---
We live to make the impossible possible!
-Lightning-
#2Satchmo25Posted 10/22/2013 1:47:21 PM
Sadly LAN parties are a thing of the past when you get old. LAN parties are what we did in college, when my greatest fear was not having an ethernet cable long enough to rub between rooms.

Once you hit 30 and your friends are all married or having kids, no one has time for LAN parties anymore :(
---
GameFAQS... a forum where the mods fall asleep for days at a time and when they do their job, they do it badly.
#3shawntew9935Posted 10/22/2013 1:57:17 PM
Satchmo25 posted...
Sadly LAN parties are a thing of the past when you get old. LAN parties are what we did in college, when my greatest fear was not having an ethernet cable long enough to rub between rooms.

Once you hit 30 and your friends are all married or having kids, no one has time for LAN parties anymore :(

Unfortunately this.
---
GT SuaveCorpsey
#4FoppePosted 10/22/2013 1:57:45 PM
Used to do it with PC's long before Xbox existed.
And then people got a life, grew up, got kids and jobs...
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#5sonicteam2k1Posted 10/22/2013 1:59:58 PM
shawntew9935 posted...
Satchmo25 posted...

Unfortunately this.

I second this. I'm 31, married, have a child. my younger buddies sometimes have LAN parties but I just don't have the urge to do them. I just plat over Live. It's good enough for me.
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#6mindoftwomoronsPosted 10/22/2013 2:04:17 PM(edited)
gfaqster posted...
But can you say the same about the most recent games or the upcoming ones?

While it doesn't apply to every game in general, Halo 4 and Black Ops 2 does have the option for LAN multiplayer. It all just depends on how much of a priority the devs see it.
---
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p567/monkeyofevil/aguwargrey.gif http://i.imgur.com/u2FewN1.gif
#7SithMasterDKPosted 10/22/2013 2:47:44 PM
I used to have Halo 2 LAN parties at my house where all my friend came over, played football and then enjoyed epic battles of halo.

Unfortunately high school ended, everyone went their separate ways, I moved out of state and that was the end of that.
---
Currently playing- Dark Souls(PC), Pokemon Showdown, GTA V, and good old fashioned foosball.
#8gfaqster(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2013 1:21:43 AM
shawntew9935 posted...
Satchmo25 posted...

Unfortunately this.

yeah its just sad though.
---
-Lightning-
#9CapwnDPosted 10/23/2013 1:33:39 AM
are we talking about a bunch of people who don't have XBL accounts and they get together to play some Halo offline?

That's fun. Sure.

But if they have XBL accounts then what's the problem? Get the correct router, and you can all be online and completely dominate and devastate.
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#10gfaqster(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2013 7:54:08 AM
CapwnD posted...
are we talking about a bunch of people who don't have XBL accounts and they get together to play some Halo offline?

That's fun. Sure.

But if they have XBL accounts then what's the problem? Get the correct router, and you can all be online and completely dominate and devastate.

being in the same room with friend, eating pizza, laughing together and stuff can't be done online.
---
-Lightning-