Whatever happened to LAN parties and stuff with Xbox consoles and games?

#21JohnHalo343Posted 10/23/2013 10:55:23 AM
mindoftwomorons posted...
gfaqster posted...
But can you say the same about the most recent games or the upcoming ones?

While it doesn't apply to every game in general, Halo 4 and Black Ops 2 does have the option for LAN multiplayer. It all just depends on how much of a priority the devs see it.

Nobody wants to play Halo 4. I put up an add for an adult Halo 4 LAN party with alcoholic beverages and nobody responded. The next week I put up the same add but for Halo: Combat Evolved and I had to take the add down in two days because people would rather play a 10 year old game than Halo 4.
---
Official Voice of the Xbox One Community
#22Ironman06Posted 10/23/2013 11:14:34 AM
Anyone else miss the smell? Pepperoni pizza and BO... those were the days
#23gfaqster(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2013 2:02:14 AM
JohnHalo343 posted...
mindoftwomorons posted...
gfaqster posted...

While it doesn't apply to every game in general, Halo 4 and Black Ops 2 does have the option for LAN multiplayer. It all just depends on how much of a priority the devs see it.

Nobody wants to play Halo 4. I put up an add for an adult Halo 4 LAN party with alcoholic beverages and nobody responded. The next week I put up the same add but for Halo: Combat Evolved and I had to take the add down in two days because people would rather play a 10 year old game than Halo 4.

haha yeah this.
---
We live to make the impossible possible!
-Lightning-
#24slowdog76Posted 10/24/2013 2:09:35 AM
i know its not the same, but this should at leat warm the cockles....

http://insomniagamingfestival.com/
---
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Confucius
#25Spetsnaz420Posted 10/24/2013 2:36:11 AM
Ahh I miss bringing the old PS2 to my friends for 4 player Monster Hunting.

BTW just becajse many of you are older now doesn't mean there's not a whole new generation behind us with plenty of time for LAN parties...they don't know what they are missing
---
I don't conform to social convention
#26ShadonicPosted 10/24/2013 5:33:23 AM
you can have up to 4 xbox 360's running from the same router before you need things like static IP addresses or such, lan parties do still work if you have the space for it.

what ticks me off is the amount of games that don't support online that way, Red dead redemption? can't go into the same public lobby. assasins creed? Matchmaking will, at most, let one other person into the same group if you're lucky, the rest get all split up.

Lan parties seem to be going the way of the split screen.. as the internet gets faster and better, and the more they pump into the infrastructure, the less of a benefit LAN provides, with the exception of major organised events..

Pc always has, and always will be the dominator in this regard though.
---
Gah! My 0's fallen off! has anyone seen it?
#27gfaqster(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2013 12:23:02 PM
slowdog76 posted...
i know its not the same, but this should at leat warm the cockles....

http://insomniagamingfestival.com/

looks very nice.
---
We live to make the impossible possible!
-Lightning-
#28TreGoodaPosted 10/24/2013 1:10:28 PM
gfaqster posted...
I miss the old days when every fps or multiplayer game on xbox had lan party options.
Halo was a great example of this.

Inviting over REAL LIFE friends to your REAL HOUSE and they brought their own consoles and you move the furniture connect the consoles and everyone has private tv sets and we all play multiplayer together in the same room and have a good time. just gaming and chillin.

Now it seems that a multiplayer game with a LAN option is as rare as finding a copy of Earthbound still sealed.

Whats nice is that you can STILL play Halo 1 multiplayer even though the online is gone because of lan party option.

the new XBOX One has the necessary ports and the games could have this feature.
but why do all games only have online multiplayer and not local multiplayer anymore?

I have 3 360s at my house, a ton of games have a LAN option. However, as other posters have said, once you get a little older nobody really does this anymore. Plus, the internet is so much better these days, it makes it less appealing.
---
"Get a life! What? I'm a gamer, I have tons of lives."