Serious topic: I just don't see the appeal of Ryse at all.

#1Mr_SociopathPosted 10/22/2013 12:58:55 PM(edited)
Please, can people who are interested explain it?

Quickly regarding the other X1 launch titles, i can get it. Dead Rising 3? Another game in well-liked and well-known franchise. Crimson Dragon? A new IP with dragons that is vaguely reminiscent of old fighter games like Star Fox and Ace Combat. Forza 5? Another installment in in a fun and much more accessible racing game than Gran Turismo. Killer Instinct? Hard to judge a fighter by looks, but it seems okay enough. Titanfall? A game with mobility mechanics and mechs from a respected dev.

I get it. There are valid reasons to look forward to all of those games.

But Ryse just looks so TERRIBLE to me. I see almost nothing good about it. Battle looks simplistic and brain dead and completely really lacks flow with the constant prompts for buttons. Gameplay looked void of any real strategy or exploration. The game looks nice enough, but the actual gameplay looks nowhere as good as the cutscenes, which do look really nice, but you can't play a cutscene.

I just don't get it! I don't get how you can see the trailers, the gameplay footage (ESPECIALLY THE MULTIPLAYER) and be excited for it. It looks below average as far as action-adventure or hack and slash games go.

It doesn't look as cutthroat and lethal and difficult as Ninja Gaiden.
It doesn't look as flashy and technical and deep as Devil May Cry or Bayonetta.
It doesn't look as epic and over the top and fantastical as God of War or Metal Gear Rising.
It doesn't look as grim and dangerous and realistic as Warband, or as intimidating as Demon's/Dark Souls.
It doesn't even look like it has the cathartic feel of killing crowds as Dynasty Warriors.

I guess you could say that maybe it has all of them, and we don't know yet because most of us haven't played it. But that's just it, we don't know yet, we can only see the gameplay footage, and I have no idea how you can see the footage and be EXCITED about it.

What are you guys seeing in these videos that I'm not? The only things I can see is that it looks okay graphically, and it has brutal finishing moves.
---
Perhaps it was my poor grammar that led the lead mod to not restore my prostitute killing post. - rabid
#2Skynet82997Posted 10/22/2013 1:11:44 PM
I think it looks stellar graphically - the lighting, particle effects, environments, character models and animations look very next gen to me.....

Will it be a great game? I don't know - but it looks like the campaign could be great - I like the way the combat looks a lot, and the whole "QTE Fest" is overblown and misguided.

If the campaign delivers set pieces like the beach landing shown at E3, and consistently makes the combat brutal, satisfying and visceral (which from what I've seen, it does - some of the finishers are incredibly brutal!!) I think at the least it will be a fun, respectable launch title and a great system showcase on a high end flatscreen and home theater.
---
XBL Gamertag - SkyNett / PSN ID - SkyeNett / Clan - TheSynndicate
#3blitz_0623Posted 10/22/2013 1:16:20 PM(edited)
I think the main purpose of Ryse is to showcase the graphical leap to the next generation. The only evidence you really needs is that Crytek is making it. This obviously doesn't mean it's going to be a bad game. I do like the theme - gladiators and all that.
---
The purpose of this signature is to allow me to post in ALL CAPS
#4Enix BelmontPosted 10/22/2013 1:34:30 PM
I totally agree, TC. I can't wait for Dead Rising 3, Crimon Dragon, KI, and D4, but this game looks pretty bad to me. My birthday is the week after Xbox One comes out, and I'd love another game to play, but...I dunno. I don't think it'll be the one. Unless it gets good reviews.

Ryse mountain dew tastes fantastic though. I love it.
---
'Come fight beside me,' I said to myself, and although it doesn't make sense, I held my own hand as a small sign of trust, and together I made my defense.
#5AzaneAzerPosted 10/22/2013 1:49:04 PM
Ryse is QTE and simple combat, most people playing it first hand have said it looks pretty, but would be in the rent category, if renting were still a thing.
#6MRL3G3NDPosted 10/22/2013 1:50:41 PM
I don't either...and now they report that it will look worse than what they showcased smh

I'm not a fan of slashers, especially ones with no innovation whatsoever

a, a, a, a, a, a, a, a, a,
---
The Closest You'll Ever Come to Afghanistan in Gaming...
http://youtu.be/GIhqUiQJt6Q
#7XBOXvsPCPosted 10/22/2013 2:42:08 PM
MRL3G3ND posted...
I don't either...and now they report that it will look worse than what they showcased smh

fun starts at 1:35
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e5XkzV9ydk
---
"Now you're talking to me baby! That I like! Keep it coming!" - Tony Montana
#8Dev0311Posted 10/22/2013 2:48:26 PM
I don't see the appeal either, asides from the graphics the gameplay looks bland and uninspired. This is supposed to next gen gaming?

Even judged on graphics, the game disappoints after downgraded character models and resolution. So overall it's just a swing and miss.
#9fretless58Posted 10/22/2013 2:49:56 PM
MRL3G3ND posted...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTwDmA7do5M
---
http://fretless94.deviantart.com/
#10Koala_R_EscobarPosted 10/22/2013 2:49:56 PM
AzaneAzer posted...
Ryse is QTE and simple combat, most people playing it first hand have said it looks pretty, but would be in the rent category, if renting were still a thing.

Gamefly? Redbox?
---
"I'm just killing the spiders to save the butterflies." - Millions Knives
GT: Koala R Escobar