Is Xbox One vs Wii U a better comparison?

#11MilesTeg420(Topic Creator)Posted 10/22/2013 8:50:15 PM
userfrigginame posted...
Noo way. The PS4 and Xbox One have a lot more in common. The most important being that it looks like they'll be sharing like 90% of their libraries just like last gen. And you should see the Wii U board. It's filled with ppl saying that it's a failed console cuz it's not as powerful as Xbox One/PS4. Wii U seems by far to be more unique than PS4 and Xbox One.

I agree, but from a technical perspective I'm inclined to believe Wii U and Xbox One produce similar results based on what's out there.
#12UnquietSlumbersPosted 10/22/2013 8:54:12 PM
It is definitely a better comparison as they're competing for second place.
#13mike468Posted 10/22/2013 8:55:57 PM
Anyone that is bashing XBO games because they're only at 720p~900p<1080p needs to realize. That your talking about a game like Killer Instinct that is going to be able to do:
-Picture-in-picture 720p, 30fps Skype video call
-track your sport teams
-favorite tv shows
-party chat
-actively look for your next online match
-keep track of friend list notifications
-actively record all your game matches

all while running the game at 720p, 60fps at the same time. Something has to give somewhere. I don't see the big deal with a game not being native 1080p if it's going to be upscaled. It's a small sacrifice. I don't see the PS4 being able to do all that stuff.

People are griping and it's going to be a very marginal difference. It's like splitting hair/pixels.
---
The Official Thunder Of The Killer Instinct Board
#14MilesTeg420(Topic Creator)Posted 10/22/2013 8:59:53 PM
mike468 posted...
Anyone that is bashing XBO games because they're only at 720p~900p<1080p needs to realize. That your talking about a game like Killer Instinct that is going to be able to do:
-track your sport teams
-favorite tv shows
-party chat

all while running the game at 720p, 60fps at the same time. Something has to give somewhere. I don't see the big deal with a game not being native 1080p if it's going to be upscaled. It's a small sacrifice. I don't see the PS4 being able to do all that stuff.

People are griping and it's going to be a very marginal difference. It's like splitting hair/pixels.

Not one single person wants to sacrifice graphical fidelity for a bunch of unnecessary features, not on your new videogame machine.
#15Foxx3kPosted 10/22/2013 9:00:09 PM
mike468 posted...
-track your sport teams
-favorite tv shows
-party chat

I'd take 720p60 upscaled over 1080p30 native any day of the week, no question.

But let's face it - the target and expectation needs to remain at 1080p60 native, no exceptions, no excuses, for the entire generation. This applies everywhere. Dead Rising 3 "dynamic" resolution, 30fps? Missed the mark. Killzone Shadowfall 1080p30 campaign? Missed the mark.
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#16ZeoDefenderPosted 10/22/2013 9:04:45 PM
Not really, no. Nintendo is in their own little world doing their own thing. The PS4 and Xbox One are at most indirect competition for the Wii U. On the other hand, Microsoft and Sony are both targeting the same demographic. A direct comparison between the PS4 and the Xbox One is the only comparison that makes sense.
---
"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets." - The Brigadier
#17mike468Posted 10/22/2013 9:11:20 PM
Foxx3k posted...

I'd take 720p60 upscaled over 1080p30 native any day of the week, no question.

But let's face it - the target and expectation needs to remain at 1080p60 native, no exceptions, no excuses, for the entire generation. This applies everywhere. Dead Rising 3 "dynamic" resolution, 30fps? Missed the mark. Killzone Shadowfall 1080p30 campaign? Missed the mark.

I think it mostly has to do with with these games being launch titles. Developers still aren't used to the hardware or are optimizing games for them. So that is why your seeing the hit on the native resolution. Give it a year or so.

Publishers have been working on these titles for less than a year for next gen systems. Killer Instinct has been in development for less than a year, I'm sure most multi-platform games have had less than a year of dedicated work to get them ready for both the PS4 and XBO. Even the titles that probably had the longest work put into the Killzone and Forza 5 have their problems.
---
#18Shad0wg00nPosted 10/22/2013 9:22:13 PM
mike468 posted...
-track your sport teams
-favorite tv shows
-party chat

This would be excellent for the average consumer if party chat wasn't locked up by Playstation as well, it wasn't more powerful at $100 cheaper, and the Xbone wasn't $499. It's a niche at that price, should be $299 without the camera but Microsoft won't take a loss and it'll cost them North America.
#19MasteroftheArtsPosted 10/22/2013 9:42:53 PM
MilesTeg420 posted...
Not one single person wants to sacrifice graphical fidelity for a bunch of unnecessary features, not on your new videogame machine.

Translation: I don't like those features, therefore no one else wants them because everyone obviously likes what I like.

If the situation were reversed in favor of PS4, you'd be championing them as the features that make PS4 the superior console.
---
"I refuse to prove that I exist" says God. "For proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing..."
#20mike468Posted 10/22/2013 10:19:41 PM
MasteroftheArts posted...
MilesTeg420 posted...

Translation: I don't like those features, therefore no one else wants them because everyone obviously likes what I like.

If the situation were reversed in favor of PS4, you'd be championing them as the features that make PS4 the superior console.

pretty much. Just look at the Samsung Galaxy S4 it has a laundry list of features, a ton of which I'm sure a lot of people could care less about but with the right marketing they helped it become one of the top selling Android phones.
---