In all honesty, the Xbox One's multimedia support and UI are pretty nice

#1Phange 2Posted 10/23/2013 6:53:33 PM
Upfront honesty - I'm getting a PS4, but only because I have a Vita and I will be playing almost entirely from Remote Play.

I think Xbox One is a vastly underrated system, for a few major reasons.

1. It's more forward-thinking in OS design than PS4. PS4 is following a social media model that I can't say I'm a huge fan of. X1 tends to take a more "integrated media center" approach that the PS3 dabbled with in the last generation, but with the addition of excellent Kinect integration I can honestly see it being an immensely practical component of a modern multimedia center.

2. It adds a multifaceted design element to games - Much like Achievements made a tremendous difference in how some of us were able to derive enjoyment from a game long after it was fully completed, the addition of Snap functionality seemingly offers an extra angle of multitasking to our game play. For example, the ability to watch a YouTube video guide for a game while simultaneously playing it. The PS4 currently lacks this level of OS-Game integration, instead opting for a divided ecosystem between the OS and games. That is relatively backward-thinking as compared to X1.

3. The system's physical design may be somewhat ugly and large, but it's practical. By using across-the-board lower-power (and I mean both technologically and electrically) components with a larger case, the X1 is almost certainly going to run cooler than the PS4, and this is probably due to the X1's intention of being on all the time - even when watching TV. It's still a much better design choice from a practical standpoint, even if it is a bit of an eyesore.

4. The controller is better. Unlike most people here, I've had the opportunity to try out both the X1 and PS4 controllers. While I will say the PS4 controller is astronomically improved over the (in my opinion) terrible PS3 controller, it's still not in the same ballpark as the X1's controller. The addition of a textured grip ring around the analog sticks, as well as Xbox's traditional offset analog design, is simply better than what PS4 offers. The controller is also very slightly more comfortable to hold, and the triggers are vastly superior to the PS4's. Just about the only feature of the PS4 controller I like better is the D-Pad.

5. The current and near-future lineup is better. Perhaps launch games and near-launch games don't matter in the long run (Who still judges X360 by Perfect Dark Zero?), but the reality is that if I had to weather a post-launch game drought, I'd much rather weather it with an X1 than a PS4.

Again, the only reason I'm getting a PS4 is Remote Play. As someone who is married and often has no way of spending time by myself with a television, RP is basically my only way to play console games. But if X1 had its own version of RP, I'd go X1 over PS4 in a heartbeat.
---
Bacon.
Playstation Network: Phange
#2BraxSimeonPosted 10/23/2013 6:55:13 PM
Not listening. Not listening.
---
GT: Brax
13 12 4 X
#3AwayFromHerePosted 10/23/2013 6:56:56 PM(edited)
Says PS4 is focusing on social media, is unaware of XBOne's follower system.
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.
#4Phange 2(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2013 6:58:07 PM
AwayFromHere posted...
Says PS4 is focusing on social media, is unaware of XBOne's follower system.

There's a difference between designing virtually every facet of your UI to integrate with social media (PS4) and having social media functionality (X1)
---
Bacon.
#5Phange 2(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2013 7:02:02 PM
Oh, and one more:

6. Power differentials are generally overrated within the same console tech generation (with the exception of the Wii/Wii U for obvious reasons) - The original Xbox was vastly more powerful than the PS2 - substantially more than the PS4 is to the X1. And, more significantly, that was back when there was no diminishing returns with power increases. The Xbox should've absolutely smoked the PS2 in graphics and performance, but rarely did outside of a few exclusive titles. The PS4 may have first party titles that are outside the realm of possibility on X1, but even if they are, we're in an era where a 50% increase in theoretical "power" nets a rather inconsequential increase in graphics and/or performance. It requires logarithmic increases in GPU power for noticeable gains.
---
Bacon.