what is cloud gaming

#1tiamat999Posted 10/24/2013 9:51:12 AM
If it means needing internet to stream a single player game than i dont see how that is good for gamers but i think it might mean something else
---
favorite animated shows the Venture bros, gargoyles, justice league, avengers EMH, godannar,Attack on titan,young justice,ragnarok, X-men evolution
#2Viet0nePosted 10/24/2013 9:53:21 AM
It's the console gaming industry catching up to PC gaming.

Dedicated servers
Single player games that have server side processing
etc.
---
Currently Playing: Civ5
PSN/XBL : VietOne
#3tiamat999(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2013 9:57:32 AM
So i will need internet connection to play a game built around solo play? Someone tell me why there going to take the main perk of singleplayer games away which is solo play doesn't require internet
---
favorite animated shows the Venture bros, gargoyles, justice league, avengers EMH, godannar,Attack on titan,young justice,ragnarok, X-men evolution
#4FoppePosted 10/24/2013 9:59:12 AM
Because the future is now.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#5kingofjamaicaPosted 10/24/2013 9:59:13 AM
Actual cloud gaming, or "cloud gaming" as it's being advertised?

Cloud gaming is services like Onlive and Gaikai, where they use their better hardware to render the game for you, and them stream the video to you.

"Cloud gaming" is dedicated servers basically.
---
At some point, you're going to have to talk to a tree and do what it says. - Arbor Day Rule, Grand List of RPG Cliches.
#6Sniper_BrosefPosted 10/24/2013 10:03:11 AM
Cloud gaming would be streaming the video of the game from servers over the internet to your home console and allowing you to input commands and control the game from your home.

Cloud computing, as it's trying to be implemented in the XBO, is offloading certain small and non-essential tasks to these same servers for them to run the computations potentially freeing up resources on the actual system to, theoretically, allow for better performance. It still remains to be seen how this will be utilized and what it's limitations are and experts on both sides of the coin have differing views on said utilization and limitations but Forza, I believe, has already implemented some cloud computing and that is just a launch title. I fully believe that it's use will be expanded as more developer's become accustomed to the computing but how much it can actually do remains to be seen...

I'm sure someone will skewer this but this is all my rudementary understanding of what Microsoft is trying to accomplish.
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#7DesperateMonkeyPosted 10/24/2013 10:15:48 AM
Its mostly for online modes. Its been used quite a lot in MMOs. The reason why its being touted as a feature for X1 is because MS is claiming to provide it for "free" to everyone.

That means all developers in the future should have access to free dedicated servers, which is the obvious huge plus.

But there are tons of other features that MMOs use which normal retail games do not because of the upkeep cost of servers. For example, Respawn talks about using MS systems because of the free dedicated servers and Cloud processing. What that could allude to is server side AI, a common feature in MMOs.

You can also choose to have an AI army running on consoles individually, but as with all things, takes up quite a good amount of resources or would have to be far more rudimentary/limited in numbers. The theory behind Cloud computing is that certain tasks which it can perform, have very little limitations. You could have 100 bots running in the Cloud without any of that AI processing slowing down your game. So people although you might be dealing with a handful of bots in your game, there could 50 bots defending your base as you make the offensive.

Forza 5 uses this as a way to create driver profiles and share them with other people. Drivatars are essentially AI profiles created in the Cloud based on your driving patterns overtime and then sends them off to your friends so that there is diversity in the AI without making your system going into AI processing mode, hence its no burden on the player to share their AI profiles.

MMOs have also used this feature to create larger explorable worlds that are persistent. Events can happen while a player is offline in a huge persistent world. This is a costly process and is why MMOs have some kind of model to charge players constantly. Successful games like Uncharted 3, Killzone SF and The Last Of Us cannot even afford dedicated servers just for regular MP play and what MMOs do is drastically more costly than this.

With MMO features being relatively free, any game can offer persistent world type features with many effects (some of which graphical, but mostly computational), handled in the Cloud.

Basically, a game like Halo 5, could possible have a mode with a persistent world (which is what I hope it has over the weekly mission update crap...) mode where people are fighting for territory or goals weekly on a global scale. You can have game servers that support up to hundreds or thousands of players that work towards an objective.

Again, you also no longer have to play just against players. If it is in the Cloud, you can have plenty of AI so even a 32vs32 game could have hundreds of AIs in the mix. This is something I DO expect them to do because they are certainly going to be "trying" to one up Titanfall.

There is also the Cloud matchmaking system which is something we already know about. XB1 has a feature where you can find a match for a game while doing anything. Since it instantly switches between game and apps, it means you no longer have to wait at the screen for the next game to start. Certain games (HALO 3-4...) have pretty long matchmaking times, although this is mostly because its P2P to begin with. Matchmaking is generally going to be much better now.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#8Hi CPosted 10/24/2013 11:07:43 AM
You play the game on a remote system and they stream the video to your TV/monitor.

Onlive tried it and it was horrible. The technology just isn't there to deliver the service at a acceptable level and that isn't even addressing the consumer and political problems that people have with it.
---
You'll be my John G.
#9DesperateMonkeyPosted 10/24/2013 12:07:08 PM(edited)
You are talking about Gaikai and what it will do for BC. Thats not the Cloud gaming features MS is touting at all. Anyone who has played an MMO knows what Cloud games look like already and what it can do.

Really, the thing about is is that we will most likely see innovative uses of the Cloud now that it is free. Even small developers can toy around with partially streamed computations.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#10Hi CPosted 10/24/2013 1:53:28 PM
DesperateMonkey posted...
You are talking about Gaikai and what it will do for BC. Thats not the Cloud gaming features MS is touting at all. Anyone who has played an MMO knows what Cloud games look like already and what it can do.

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/010/692/19789999.jpg
---
You'll be my John G.