People are overreacting to a graphics advantage here

#1DesperateMonkeyPosted 10/24/2013 11:35:45 AM
I see a lot of topics where people are saying Sony has "all the best features" and when they say all, they mean graphics and how thats the only thing that is relevant.

Can I point to the fact that the weaker consoles have won all last three generations? This is certainly no indicator that XB1 will win at all. It is simply to say, graphics has no history of being a determinant in victory. The XBO looked far better than PS2 and could even run games in 720p quite well... There is a huge difference in XBO launch games and PS2 launch games. N64 by the same token was stronger than the PSX. PS3 released at a much higher price point and had worse graphics for quite a few years and even now, the same people who are saying the PS4 is stronger, often say the PS3 was weaker (this is from the Bulletstorm guy who claimed the 50% more power of the PS4).

The XBO lost pretty terribly to the PS2 and it launched with a pretty killer app that, far stronger hardware and a better online system. The Xbox and PS3 both lost very badly to the Wii which had the least games and worst hardware but a cheaper price AND motion gimmick.

The Wii U however, is not able to repeat this even at a cheaper price and with a new tablet gimmick.

The PSV had a crapload of pre-orders and hype and then quickly died off as a system because of lack of games.

The reality is, whatever bad press MS gathered from E3 and before is going to fade in to irrelevance after the console releases. Whether Kinect will have a true impact will not be determined by Kinect 1.0 but by how cool it is to show off Kinect and Xbox OS features to people. It could fall flat on its face but it also might do the opposite. Online gaming is also a huge gambit for the XB1. Instead of graphics, XB1 has focused on Kinect, Online and OS features as their value for the console.

People are now acting like because BF4 will run at 900p vs 720p, gamers everywhere are going to flock to the system whereas the core audience (not the hardcore that preorder and wait for midnight launches) don't seem to care much at all. They enjoy sub HD games like COD and Halo for god sakes and turn their noses to titles like Killzone.

I don't understand how people think that Graphics and $100 is the only thing people will care about now. The Gamecube was stronger and had a $100 price difference when $100 was worth more overall and when the $100 was a much larger ratio ($300 v $200) and was easier to develop for than the ridiculous emotion engine that annoyed devs to no end.

The facts are, history is an extremely poor predictor of the present. People who thought the 7th gen consoles would mirror the 6th gen consoles ended up with egg on their face. But now we use this silly logic again.

Players like games and like cool features. XB1 has games and cool features. Its lost some initial HARDCORE customers (the pre-order people) because of the DRM stuff, but people aren't going to care once the console is released, especially if it has really cool features and a strong library of exclusives. MS has shown it is willing to pay a lot of money to satisfy its customers with its online spending and games budget.

I've seen a few people use "history" as an indicator, but their uses of it is so shallow it is often worthless, not to mention, they want to ignore bad parts of history.

Anyways, just some perspective. It is silly to argue that the PS4 is automatically going to win because the market will act in a way that has no real precedent.

I personally feel that more than anything else, its that killer app that makes the difference, but we don't know who will have that killer. It could be Titanfall but Titanfall could also be totally crap and this becomes the generation of Killzone. The future is extremely uncertain.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#2TrueBlue91Posted 10/24/2013 11:38:56 AM
Tl;dr.

Nevertheless it's fair to say desperate monkey is still desperate.
---
Pour grammer annoy's me
#3METALINGUS5150Posted 10/24/2013 11:39:26 AM
The PS4 has price advantage, power advantage and ease of development advantage.
There has never been a system with all 3 of this.
Could mean nothing, could mean everything.
#4DesperateMonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2013 11:45:09 AM(edited)
METALINGUS5150 posted...

Actually, the NGC had all three of these... People need to get facts straight. NGC was $200 vs $300 for PS2 and was much stronger AND was WAY easier to develop for than the convoluted emotion engine. If anything, the trend today is towards multiplats more than ever so that development issue is unlikely to garner any exclusives by itself. XB1 is also not hard to develop for in the sense like Emotion or Cell. It is hard relative to PS4, which is just easier. The gap between development difficulties is extremely unlikely to surpass the gap between Cell and Xbox or Emotion vs GCN/Xbox.

Also, not having a precedent does not mean anything. It also has a massive deficit in the online sector which is ever growing, and it trades better graphics for Kinect and OS features, which also has no precedent. That is why I say people using "parts of history" often do it without critical thought and just look at the parts that fits with their argument.

---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#5BrokenIcarusPosted 10/24/2013 11:44:08 AM
METALINGUS5150 posted...

He just quoted the Gamecube as having exactly that :D and he's right as well!
Too bad basically every developer except for mikami double downed on the PS2 and made their games exclusive to it.
The PS4 won't be anything like that, though. 3rd parties aren't going to develop exclusively anymore.
#6SAMCROftwPosted 10/24/2013 11:45:22 AM
Reassurance Topic #2,576,376

Move along, people. Nothing to see here.

Just a desperate MS dog defending his bone.
---
Xbox fan since 2003. Tired of Microsoft's bull. LOLXbone.
Mass Effect TaliShep.... still a better love story than Twilight.
#7Dev0311Posted 10/24/2013 11:45:50 AM
So you're trying to justify paying more for worse graphics? Good luck wit that.
#8METALINGUS5150Posted 10/24/2013 11:46:45 AM
DesperateMonkey posted...
METALINGUS5150 posted...

Actually, the NGC had all three of these... People need to get facts straight. NGC was $200 vs $300 for PS2 and was much stronger AND was WAY easier to develop for than the convoluted emotion engine. If anything, the trend today is towards multiplats more than ever so that development issue is unlikely to garner any exclusives by itself. XB1 is also not hard to develop for in the sense like Emotion or Cell. It is hard relative to PS4, which is just easier. The gap between development difficulties is extremely unlikely to surpass the gap between Cell and Xbox or Emotion vs GCN/Xbox.

Also, not having a precedent does not mean anything. It also has a massive deficit in the online sector which is ever growing, and it trades better graphics for Kinect and OS features, which also has no precedent. That is why I say people using "parts of history" often do it without critical thought and just look at the parts that fits with their argument.

The gamecube launched a year after the PS2.
The original Xbox launched later than the PS2 as well.
#9FoppePosted 10/24/2013 11:46:59 AM
Dev0311 posted...
So you're trying to justify paying more for worse graphics? Good luck wit that.

I demand proof that all PS4 developers will use the extra power to make the games look better.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#10blitz_0623Posted 10/24/2013 11:47:20 AM
DesperateMonkey posted...
People are now acting like because BF4 will run at 900p vs 720p, gamers everywhere are going to flock to the system whereas the core audience (not the hardcore that preorder and wait for midnight launches) don't seem to care much at all. They enjoy sub HD games like COD and Halo for god sakes and turn their noses to titles like Killzone.

I don't understand how people think that Graphics and $100 is the only thing people will care about now. The Gamecube was stronger and had a $100 price difference when $100 was worth more overall and when the $100 was a much larger ratio ($300 v $200) and was easier to develop for than the ridiculous emotion engine that annoyed devs to no end.

These 'people' you talk about - they're fanboys and trolls. You said it yourself:
whereas the core audience (not the hardcore that preorder and wait for midnight launches) don't seem to care much at all

It's really only on the internet where you will find the graphical differences being blown way out of proportion. Go out and ask a few people who plan on getting one of the 2 (or both even) and they'll be like "Oh, X1 runs BF4 at a lower resolution than the PS4? Uhh okay? As long as I can still play it on my HD TV I'm good"
---
The purpose of this signature is to allow me to post in ALL CAPS