Why have Sony and Microsoft been doing almost the exact same thing with consoles

#1iKhan88Posted 10/24/2013 12:45:08 PM
Look back over the history of game consoles. Each developer took a different approach to console tech, controllers, and peripherals. But since last gen, we've seen Sony and Microsoft match each other nearly one for one. They both put out a motion controlled peripheral. Sony almost included they PSeye in the PS4. The controllers are pretty much exactly the same. And both consoles have extremely similar tech specs.

Why is this? Why are both companies doing the same thing? And if they are doing the same thing, is there a point to both of them existing?

Frankly I've found consoles like the Steam Machines and Wii U to be refreshing, as they are at least taking different approaches. They both have their problems, but at least they tried to do something different.
---
Any sig ideas?
#2Joey-ZazaPosted 10/24/2013 12:47:07 PM
It's kind of like that episode of South Park where the people from the future come back to the past to live and they all look the same. Everything is just becoming the same. As I type this my fingers are becoming one with the k eyeboardshelpmee
---
"I guess you could say I BLUE... myself!" - Tobias Funke
-StarTropics- -Golden Sun- -Ocarina of Time-
#3userfrigginamePosted 10/24/2013 12:50:52 PM
Seriously, you'd think that they had spies in each other's camp to look at what each one was doing.
#4SoulTrapperPosted 10/24/2013 12:55:40 PM(edited)
Microsoft tried deviating a bit with the online only and it got them a lot of bad reactions.

The gaming audience has grown and changed over the years, it's no longer looked upon as something for "nerds in a basement" but it has (mostly) become an acceptable hobby.

Due to this, the audience is a lot more homogenized and it makes sense that both products aimed at this audience would be similar.

Deviating from the norm is always a risk.
It's why the amount of new IPs has also decreased. Why take a risk when you can make Shoot-the-terrorist 78 and make a good profit?
---
PSN: El_Coon
#5iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2013 12:55:36 PM
Joey-Zaza posted...
It's kind of like that episode of South Park where the people from the future come back to the past to live and they all look the same. Everything is just becoming the same. As I type this my fingers are becoming one with the k eyeboardshelpmee

But it's not. Consoles like the NVIDIA Shield, Steam Machines, and Wii U all do something different.

It's only Sony and Microsoft
---
Any sig ideas?
#6Joey-ZazaPosted 10/24/2013 1:04:55 PM
Yeah I know. I was being stupid about it.

I bought a Wii U recently, pretty happy with it. I have zero interest in launch next gen games except for maybe ACIV.

It's pretty sad I'm more excited for Super Mario 3d World than the launch of the X1.
---
"I guess you could say I BLUE... myself!" - Tobias Funke
-StarTropics- -Golden Sun- -Ocarina of Time-
#7iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2013 1:08:30 PM
Joey-Zaza posted...
Yeah I know. I was being stupid about it.

I bought a Wii U recently, pretty happy with it. I have zero interest in launch next gen games except for maybe ACIV.

It's pretty sad I'm more excited for Super Mario 3d World than the launch of the X1.

Eh, EAD Tokyo had proved themselves enough that it's not really that sad
---
Any sig ideas?
#8iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2013 9:28:36 AM
Sorry to resurrect this topic, but with the returning rumor that the PS4 had DRM, this topic is even more relevant. The PS4 and XB1 were going to essentially be the same consoles until Sony dropped the camera and DRM.
---
Any sig ideas?
#9IzecPosted 10/28/2013 9:33:15 AM
Because when a console developer tries to do something different they risk losing third-party support.

See: Nintendo's third-party sorrows for the past decade.
---
Throwback Mode 4 Lyfe
#10CyborgTwentyPosted 10/28/2013 9:37:53 AM
Sony and Microsoft are pretty much twins separated at birth.