Why have Sony and Microsoft been doing almost the exact same thing with consoles

#11RybalPosted 10/28/2013 10:41:11 AM
iKhan88 posted...
Joey-Zaza posted...
It's kind of like that episode of South Park where the people from the future come back to the past to live and they all look the same. Everything is just becoming the same. As I type this my fingers are becoming one with the k eyeboardshelpmee

But it's not. Consoles like the NVIDIA Shield, Steam Machines, and Wii U all do something different.

It's only Sony and Microsoft

And none of them are successful or expected to be successful. Steam is going to price themselves out of the console market.

iKhan88 posted...
Sorry to resurrect this topic, but with the returning rumor that the PS4 had DRM, this topic is even more relevant. The PS4 and XB1 were going to essentially be the same consoles until Sony dropped the camera and DRM.

That rumor was mentioned in the exact same video where they said that the online component of CoD had something to do with decreased resolution on the PS4 version. Considering that Sony has stated for months that you'd be able to play without connecting to the internet, I'd take that rumor with a grain of salt.

To answer the original question, though, the main reason is because each console is finding something that is working on the other. It's the same reason that every time a new phone or phone OS comes out with something new, the competition comes out with something similar. When something works, it gets duplicated. When it doesn't, it gets mocked, resulting in less desire to attempt to innovate.
---
Brand loyalty is most evident in Apple acolytes - the Applytes - that most rabid of fan bases who will buy a brand new device with every minor upgrade
#12iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2013 10:57:06 AM
Rybal posted...
iKhan88 posted...
Joey-Zaza posted...
It's kind of like that episode of South Park where the people from the future come back to the past to live and they all look the same. Everything is just becoming the same. As I type this my fingers are becoming one with the k eyeboardshelpmee

But it's not. Consoles like the NVIDIA Shield, Steam Machines, and Wii U all do something different.

It's only Sony and Microsoft

And none of them are successful or expected to be successful. Steam is going to price themselves out of the console market.

iKhan88 posted...
Sorry to resurrect this topic, but with the returning rumor that the PS4 had DRM, this topic is even more relevant. The PS4 and XB1 were going to essentially be the same consoles until Sony dropped the camera and DRM.

That rumor was mentioned in the exact same video where they said that the online component of CoD had something to do with decreased resolution on the PS4 version. Considering that Sony has stated for months that you'd be able to play without connecting to the internet, I'd take that rumor with a grain of salt.

To answer the original question, though, the main reason is because each console is finding something that is working on the other. It's the same reason that every time a new phone or phone OS comes out with something new, the competition comes out with something similar. When something works, it gets duplicated. When it doesn't, it gets mocked, resulting in less desire to attempt to innovate.

Duplicating something already around is different from simultaneously doing the same thing. PSMove is an example of copying something. Both consoles having game DVR, DRM, etc. isn't copying. It would be like the GS4 and the 5S both having touch ID and a 64 bit processor.

And the Shield and Steam Machines are expected to do well. The Wii U's seen a 200% increase in sales since it's price drop.

I just don't get how neither understands how one will kick the other out of the market if they do the same thing. The 360 and PS3 had some differences, and the main reason they both prospered at the end was due to Sony's early stupidity with the PS3, and their later strong 1st party support to bring it back.
---
Any sig ideas?
#13bob15xPosted 10/28/2013 11:02:20 AM
userfrigginame posted...
Seriously, you'd think that they had spies in each other's camp to look at what each one was doing.

if it was samsung, then maybe.
#14Exodus_PrimePosted 10/28/2013 11:05:18 AM
Joey-Zaza posted...
Yeah I know. I was being stupid about it.

I bought a Wii U recently, pretty happy with it. I have zero interest in launch next gen games except for maybe ACIV.

It's pretty sad I'm more excited for Super Mario 3d World than the launch of the X1.

So that's where you been you little punk lol...no wonder you haven't logged on in like a month to LIVE.
---
Xbox One and PlayStation 4
Because I can buy both.
#15RyuuHou25Posted 10/28/2013 11:05:19 AM
iKhan88 posted...
Look back over the history of game consoles. Each developer took a different approach to console tech, controllers, and peripherals. But since last gen, we've seen Sony and Microsoft match each other nearly one for one. They both put out a motion controlled peripheral. Sony almost included they PSeye in the PS4. The controllers are pretty much exactly the same. And both consoles have extremely similar tech specs.

Why is this? Why are both companies doing the same thing? And if they are doing the same thing, is there a point to both of them existing?

Frankly I've found consoles like the Steam Machines and Wii U to be refreshing, as they are at least taking different approaches. They both have their problems, but at least they tried to do something different.

1 - Sony was never planning on having the camera in with it. This is a baseless rumor that holds no merit.

2 - The controllers are the....same. Uhhh.....so where's the touch pad on the X1 controller? Where's the Share button? Where's start/select on the DS4? Where's the battery compartment on the DS4? Where are the vibration functions in the X1 controller on the DS4?

3 - Motion control was a big thing for the Wii. They tried to get in on that. This always happens.

4 - What is Wii U doing differently? They have a god awfully huge controller with a second screen in it that is extremely underutilized. Other than that, it's the exact same as the Wii aside from the fact they finally came into the HD era (a gen too late)

Hell, why don't we complain that all consoles are doing the same thing with resolutions while you're at.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liGiTVdVu1A
#16RybalPosted 10/28/2013 11:19:41 AM
iKhan88 posted...
Duplicating something already around is different from simultaneously doing the same thing. PSMove is an example of copying something. Both consoles having game DVR, DRM, etc. isn't copying. It would be like the GS4 and the 5S both having touch ID and a 64 bit processor.

And the Shield and Steam Machines are expected to do well. The Wii U's seen a 200% increase in sales since it's price drop.

I just don't get how neither understands how one will kick the other out of the market if they do the same thing. The 360 and PS3 had some differences, and the main reason they both prospered at the end was due to Sony's early stupidity with the PS3, and their later strong 1st party support to bring it back.

I'm not sure whether I would classify the Move as copying, considering that they had tech demos for something similar well before the Wii came about (PS2 era).

I stand by my belief that the Steambox is going to price itself out of the market. Between high cost and variable, modifiable setups, there's really no reason to get one over a PC. The Shield is going to be DOA, just like the OUYA. The Wii U, despite its increase, is still moving fewer than 50,000 units per week, which is hardly promising for a console that is only a year old with more powerful consoles coming out in a couple of weeks.

As for sharing, there were no real indications that MS was planning on implementing it prior to their official announcement at E3. DRM was NEVER officially announced for PS4; Sony has always stated that you'd be able to play offline without any sort of checks.

The tech isn't where the key innovations should be, anyway - it should always be how the tech is used.
---
Brand loyalty is most evident in Apple acolytes - the Applytes - that most rabid of fan bases who will buy a brand new device with every minor upgrade
#17sworderPosted 10/28/2013 11:25:29 AM
iKhan88 posted...
I just don't get how neither understands how one will kick the other out of the market if they do the same thing.

There is a market for both. Pepsi and Coke are doing fine
#18Joey-ZazaPosted 10/28/2013 11:35:57 AM
Exodus_Prime posted...
Joey-Zaza posted...
Yeah I know. I was being stupid about it.

I bought a Wii U recently, pretty happy with it. I have zero interest in launch next gen games except for maybe ACIV.

It's pretty sad I'm more excited for Super Mario 3d World than the launch of the X1.

So that's where you been you little punk lol...no wonder you haven't logged on in like a month to LIVE.

Haha, I log in hidden most of the time! It's because I have an irritating cousin who just won't leave me the hell alone.
---
"I guess you could say I BLUE... myself!" - Tobias Funke
-StarTropics- -Golden Sun- -Ocarina of Time-