Cloud Discussion

#1shotymePosted 10/24/2013 2:05:20 PM
Seeing as this board lacks actual software and game discussion...lets talk positive. Let's say the cloud isn't just theoretical and can actually do everything it's supposed to do, what games would want it to take advandtage and/or in what ways?

Me being a sports gamer, would want to take advantage over Madden. If it can calculate A.I. then I want the A.I. to be able to adapt. Like say I'm torching the defense with a physical wideout on short routes..I want the defense to actually switch to Zone Coverage on the fly as well as playing press..on the fly A.I. adjustments. How about everyone else?
---
Now Playing: Dragon's Crown, Borderlands 2, NBA2k14;Wants Watch Dogs, Persona 5, Dark Souls 2, GG Xrd
Fan of the STL Cards, Knicks, Titans, and Oregon Ducks
#2shotyme(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2013 5:32:20 PM
Well I see people only respond to troll topics and not actual legit topics..meh it is what it is then..
---
Now Playing: Dragon's Crown, Borderlands 2, NBA2k14;Wants Watch Dogs, Persona 5, Dark Souls 2, GG Xrd
Fan of the STL Cards, Knicks, Titans, and Oregon Ducks
#3mike468Posted 10/24/2013 5:55:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjWSIQ2oC0U

There are just a number of implications with this. Imagine a squad based shooter campaign where your squad mates behave more like real people. You don't have to carry the AI yourself, or feel like they're useless

Developers can also make tougher games because of this, because friendly AI is smarter and can evolve.

Developers also don't have to push patches to tweak gameplay. Double Helix even said they plan on doing to for balancing with the new Killer instinct. They can do it on the fly and don't have to go through an approval process. This can be great for tournament and competitive play.
---
The Official Thunder Of The Killer Instinct Board
#4straymatterPosted 10/25/2013 5:08:56 AM(edited)
This is amazing that the cloud can generate AI.

What is crazy is that the AI that is created, are real players, with their gamertags on them.

What if they could generate voice data as well.
#5GothmogzPosted 10/25/2013 4:52:29 AM
Discussing Blast Processing and how it helped the Sega would be better.
---
Gamertag: Alehappy
#6SilentS89Posted 10/25/2013 6:16:54 AM
Sounds like a glorified version of this: http://www.mariowiki.com/Ghost_%28Mario_Kart%29
#7MrSpaM111Posted 10/25/2013 6:40:24 AM(edited)
Nobody is saying it wont do what it's supposed to do, it's just most people don't understand what it's supposed to do, and think it's some magic force that will improve the console ten fold. That's what the problem is.

First of all 'The Cloud' is not going to make your games look better than the competition, end of.

People also need to start understanding the cloud services Microsoft are offering, the PS4 is also completely capable of doing all of it, this isn't something exclusive to XBO. In fact 'The Cloud' has been utilised multiple times on the xbox360 and the PS3, this isn't some new technology that's only come about on the next gen consoles.

And this whole argument of "It offloads AI processing to the internet to free up CPU on the console" is also flawed, due to the fact that since the birth of network gaming (were talking DOOM here) the server tells the clients where the enemies and different players are, and also give the AI instructions, that are passed on to the clients. This is also used to say "The last ten people who walked around this corner without jumping got shot, so the next AI bot to go round the corner will jump", that is your 'learning' AI, and multiple games in the past have used this before to improve bots on servers. Yes it offloads the AI to the server, but this is technology developed in the late 80's, and has been used since then for every single network game in existence. It's nothing new.

Microsoft span the 'Power Of The Cloud' gimmick to entice people who have no understanding of cloud computing, or network computing in general, into buying the console.

The sooner people start understanding this, the sooner people might be able to start having some normal discussions on the matter.
---
"Exactly correct TC..."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628
#8straymatterPosted 10/26/2013 9:00:22 AM
mike468 posted...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjWSIQ2oC0U

There are just a number of implications with this. Imagine a squad based shooter campaign where your squad mates behave more like real people. You don't have to carry the AI yourself, or feel like they're useless

Developers can also make tougher games because of this, because friendly AI is smarter and can evolve.

Developers also don't have to push patches to tweak gameplay. Double Helix even said they plan on doing to for balancing with the new Killer instinct. They can do it on the fly and don't have to go through an approval process. This can be great for tournament and competitive play.

This is one of the best vids about the cloud. The ideas transfer right over to FPS.
There is new article over at Ars Technica about the Forza Motorsport 5 and the cloud.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/10/how-forza-5-and-the-xbox-one-use-the-cloud-to-drive-machine-learning-ai/

"This whole Drivatar idea could work in a first-person shooter," he said. "If you think about the routes you take in a first-person shooter, there are certain paths, there are weapons you like, your accuracy, your percentage. I think it's possible, I don't know it's going to happen, but the truth is this was our take on what to do with the power of the cloud. Other creators are going to come up with other things."
#9pigboyPosted 10/26/2013 9:19:24 AM
MrSpaM111 posted...
Nobody is saying it wont do what it's supposed to do, it's just most people don't understand what it's supposed to do, and think it's some magic force that will improve the console ten fold. That's what the problem is.

First of all 'The Cloud' is not going to make your games look better than the competition, end of.

People also need to start understanding the cloud services Microsoft are offering, the PS4 is also completely capable of doing all of it, this isn't something exclusive to XBO. In fact 'The Cloud' has been utilised multiple times on the xbox360 and the PS3, this isn't some new technology that's only come about on the next gen consoles.

And this whole argument of "It offloads AI processing to the internet to free up CPU on the console" is also flawed, due to the fact that since the birth of network gaming (were talking DOOM here) the server tells the clients where the enemies and different players are, and also give the AI instructions, that are passed on to the clients. This is also used to say "The last ten people who walked around this corner without jumping got shot, so the next AI bot to go round the corner will jump", that is your 'learning' AI, and multiple games in the past have used this before to improve bots on servers. Yes it offloads the AI to the server, but this is technology developed in the late 80's, and has been used since then for every single network game in existence. It's nothing new.

Microsoft span the 'Power Of The Cloud' gimmick to entice people who have no understanding of cloud computing, or network computing in general, into buying the console.

The sooner people start understanding this, the sooner people might be able to start having some normal discussions on the matter.

lol, You pretty much answer all of the "what Cloud REALLY is" question in one short-sweet paragraph. You have left not much room left for the Microsoft marketing team to debate "How God Like" the Cloud computing is to the Xbone!
#10BigPapi829Posted 10/26/2013 9:34:07 AM
http://videogamesandnews.com/xbox-one-cloud-a-pr-gimmick-or-the-real-deal/

Info on the cloud with all sources linked
1st comment on article is interesting but I don't know if true.