X1 vs. PS4: which console has the better packaging.

#1Cowboy082288Posted 10/24/2013 9:58:03 PM
So which one? - Results (131 votes)
X1
32.06% (42 votes)
PS4
67.94% (89 votes)
This poll is now closed.
A lot has been said about these two consoles but one area not much discussed is the packaging for both consoles. This shouldn't be overlooked though, the slick coating covering the box that contains your console of preference is the first tactile experience you will have with your new console.

Before digging into the insides of the boxes lets draw a direct comparison in the cardboard being used. The specs of the PS4 cardboard is that it is a corrugated fiberboard. The X1 also uses this same design. Making both boxes seem equal in power. The PS4 however uses a type A flute design measured at 4.8 mm while the X1 uses a type B flute measured at 3.2 mm. So the PS4 box is 50% more powerful.

MS has however announced they will be using an extruded polystyrene foam said to have 300 thousand individual air bubbles. This "Air Power" is, at least according to microsoft, able to augment the apparent shortcomings in box specs and provide new methods of securing your console. Whether or not MS can deliver on these promises is yet to be seen.

With all that being said, which packaging method do you prefer?
---
PSN/XBL/Steam - cowboyoni
#2Xeeh_BitzPosted 10/24/2013 10:03:52 PM
Best poll yet
---
Best Windows ever, Windows 8.1!
#3vivalabuck92Posted 10/24/2013 10:16:59 PM
You made me all fuzzy inside when you showed your genius.
---
Gamertag: NeverTooWhite
#4PhilipVanLukePosted 10/24/2013 10:25:58 PM
In all seriousness the Xbox one's day one packaging is so much better than the PlayStation 4 it's not even funny now I know fanboys just be trolling. Even if the PS4 has dual Titan video cards and 4 i7 processors. The Xbox premium packaging takes a dump on the ps4.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag: Legendary Fenix
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee228/PhilipVanLuke/Setup.jpg
#5NathanDrakeSwagPosted 10/24/2013 10:42:15 PM
PhilipVanLuke posted...
In all seriousness the Xbox one's day one packaging is so much better than the PlayStation 4 it's not even funny now I know fanboys just be trolling. Even if the PS4 has dual Titan video cards and 4 i7 processors. The Xbox premium packaging takes a dump on the ps4.

The X1 standard packaging looks like puke tho.
#6streamjumperPosted 10/24/2013 10:55:55 PM
Specs on the corrugate and foam are all well and good, but any packaging fan worth their salt knows that the ink and glue are what really make or break the packaging, and potentially the whole system. I mean Sega thought they could concentrate on the corrugate, foam, and even the system/games (lol, noobs) and we saw where that got them in the long run.

Don't even get me started on what happened to the Turbografx 16.
---
Darwin, set the Wayback Machine...
#7Cowboy082288(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2013 11:28:39 PM
streamjumper posted...
Specs on the corrugate and foam are all well and good, but any packaging fan worth their salt knows that the ink and glue are what really make or break the packaging, and potentially the whole system. I mean Sega thought they could concentrate on the corrugate, foam, and even the system/games (lol, noobs) and we saw where that got them in the long run.

Well for now it looks like both MS and Sony are using the ValcoMelton company for their adhesive solutions. Some reports have claimed that the plant specifically assigned to Sony's PS4 have been using "forced" student labor in their plants. Sony has made no statement on the matter yet. For more information on this company go to:

http://www.valcomelton.com/solutions-by-market/packaging
---
#8hellslavePosted 10/25/2013 12:11:08 AM
Best. Topic. EVAR.
---
In a world built on hope and faith, I am the realistic idea. The dream come crashing down.
#9epicfailtryhardPosted 10/25/2013 1:47:36 AM
streamjumper posted...

good lord. turbogrfx? i had one of those. you must be as old as me.
---
"if you consider a troll to be someone who is expressing their opinion and isn't rattled by yours being different...welcome home.~me
#10Cowboy082288(Topic Creator)Posted 10/25/2013 3:20:07 AM
NathanDrakeSwag posted...
PhilipVanLuke posted...

The X1 standard packaging looks like puke tho.

Opinions on the art of the box are purely subjective opinion and not objective reasoning. Take your troll comments elsewheres.
---