Genuine worry

#1InjusticeRebornPosted 10/25/2013 4:29:17 AM(edited)
Warning, TL;DR inbound.

I'm starting to worry about my Xbox One pre-order, and whether I should hold steady, or cancel.

First of all, I was all for the new Xbox before E3...

This gen, I got the Wii on launch, and then the PlayStation 3 (had the original PS and PS2 on launch, had a great time, so thought "why not?" for carrying on with the trend). It wasn't until friends were talking big about the 360, and the build up to Mass Effect, that kicked me into getting the 360 - I got the Elite just before Christmas 2007.

Since then, my PS3 was hardly touched. The astonishingly slow updates every time I turned the thing on (honestly no exaggeration - goes to show how much I turned the thing on after getting the 360), the lack of games, the lack of friends playing on the thing compared to Xbox - it slowly gathered dust. It sat disconnected for lord knows how long.

Meanwhile the 360 got more of my time. And as silly as a reason it is, the 360's achievement system reeled me in. I remember to this day, after completing Metal Gear Solid 4, that the PS3 should do something similar - too little too late by then. :/

I got Killzone 2. Pre-ordered the thing actually. I loved the original on the PS2, but I could not get into KZ2 at all. What didn't help was what seemed a natural 'gel' with the 360 controller - playing an FPS on the DualShock 2 afterwards just wasn't right.

I got Gran Turismo 5. Always been a fan of this franchise since the days of the original on the PS1. To this day, I have VERY fond memories of playing that game. But between the time of 4 and 5, my driving needs were answered by Forza. I was pretty burned out by then.

Nothing seemed to drag me back to the PS3. So eventually, I traded the thing in. Which I then regretted not long after, after hearing about the HD release of Final Fantasy X.

Anyway, the 360 has supplied my gaming needs fantastically. And it is because of that, I had set myself to get the next one. That was until E3 2013.

We all know what went down. It was just a mess. I buy my games new. I'm pretty much connected to the internet all the time, but the fact that the option to not do those things were taken away from me - I didn't like it.

The light of the PlayStation was shining bright.

Then the reversals came in. So immediately I was open to the possibility to continue with the Xbox again, and other details started to unfold...

The price is obviously an issue, especially so close to Christmas. But I liked what the One said it had to offer.

My kids love Kinect, it has a better Kinect. I fancy playing a racer again - and the One has it, in the shape of Forza 5. And as silly as it sounds, I don't want to feel like all that 'hard work' getting my Gamerscore where it is, would be wasted if I started afresh with the PS4 (I'm no achievement seeker, and my Gamerscore is nothing to shout about, but in a weird way, it's like a legacy of my gaming feats).

As far as an early adopter goes, the One seemed to suit me. So I saved up for one. At the moment my pre-order is of the Day One Edition console (with FIFA 14, which I should pass on), Battlefield 4, and the Forza Motorsport 5 Collector's Edition.

I was up until this point in time, pretty much looking forward to it. The difference in hardware mattered not, I thought. The 360 was less powerful then the PS3, but I had just as much fun. Depending on what you read and who you listen to, these next batch of consoles aren't too far apart, so it'd be the same as this gen, right?

But now, all this talk of the One not being to handle 1080p etc. has put a dent in my hype. So much so, I'm at this point - thinking whether or not to cancel the pre-order.

I wouldn't say I'm a graphics whore. I mean, if I was, I would have traded in the 360, and got another PS3, right? But the idea of paying more for a console that can't do what is assumed to be the norm for next-gen - native 1080p - worries me slightly.
#2InjusticeReborn(Topic Creator)Posted 10/25/2013 4:27:49 AM
Yeah, I know I said I like what the One has to offer on games, but I can surely find replacements on the PS4, right? I could always return to GT, when it comes out, and hope it gives me what I want (it used to). I can get BF4 on the PS4.

Most games I'm looking forward to are multi-platform, such as Dragon Age: Inquisition, as an example.

Titanfall is something the One has going for it, but despite the gloom lurking over it because of it being multi-player only (Brink), and the obvious guesswork that if the One isn't selling as well, that means less players, that means less players in an 'online world' - there is also rumour of it eventually coming to the PS4. I can wait, if I cancel my One pre-order - I'll just wait to get a PS4, as nothing tickles my fancy at the moment.

And yeah, I know I said my kids love Kinect. But surely the PS4 will come out with some motion thing, like the previous two consoles before it?

I'm not into what else the consoles can do. I play games on the foremost. I don't care to stream and watch TV - if I'm by myself, I'd rather play video games over watching TV. As for TV and films - we have Sky to do that for us.

Video capturing of what I've just done whilst playing? Nah thanks. I've never been a fan of the YouTube community or anything like that, so...

Then there's the fact that, the friends I've made over the years, most of whom were from the days of the PS2, who were the ones who got me to switch form PS3 to 360 - none are, as of yet, going next-gen, and even still they have yet to make up their mind which one they'll go for, when they do.

I really don't want to make the same mistake again - I'll go for one console on launch, and everyone else goes with the other.

So, really, all this is, is about me worrying about a rumour that may or may not be true, thanks to the certain people on the internet taking it as fact, and getting the ball rolling, and me getting caught up in it.

I know I shouldn't let it alter my decision, but when you don't hear an official response to the matter, it makes you wonder.

So, do you think I'm right in worrying? Should I keep faith in my original decision to go Xbox again, or do you think the lack of response from officials is damning - the rumours may perhaps hold some truth?

Let it be known for the PS4 fanboy patrol who like to do their rounds here (you know who you are, I've been lurking for a while now since making my pre-order), I'll try not to bite. I'd like as neutral as you can get responses as possible.

And I do not care for the PS developers like Sleeping Dogs (or whatever they're called) etc. etc. At first glance, the games they've made do not tickle me in any positive manner, so it isn't something I'd use as a positive in the PS4's favour. A bright past does not always mean a bright future, so saying they're on board means nothing either. Look at Final Fantasy at the moment. :P
#3cosmicstarfish1Posted 10/25/2013 4:30:20 AM
I thought that was a rumor
---
GT: xDeadheadx420
3DS FC- 3969-4186-9416
#4yanksfan4247Posted 10/25/2013 4:42:07 AM
Mountain of text Oh God it's an avalanche whoaaaaaa!
---
Twitter: @macdamurderer
GT: Mac Da Murderer
#5gideon2086Posted 10/25/2013 4:54:59 AM
Brb getting my kindle to read this book on
---
Hi I'm Bob.
#6SunDevil77Posted 10/25/2013 5:00:59 AM
Always include a tldr summary
---
Uh, yes, sir. They're driving an '84... Sheepdog.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#7BloodyDove2vsPosted 10/25/2013 5:12:49 AM
Perhaps I should have called Orville Redenbacher first. -.-
---
X1 plus 720p equals 1080p upscaled (resistance is futile)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp8aNBFFaw0
#8BeefEasterPosted 10/25/2013 6:03:11 AM
holy crap

you must have a lot of time on your hands to type out something that will likely be ignored by almost everyone
---
I play with dolls: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/BeefEaster/003_zps64d8bdd3.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/BeefEaster/001_zps818614eb.jpg
#9nableetPosted 10/25/2013 6:32:46 AM
Cancel your preorder.

Seriously, there is no great incentive to preorder either console. Wait until Jan (or beyond) and then make an informed decision. All the rumors will be dealt with, and you will know which friend went where and be happy.
---
GT - Tyfighta23 PSN - N/A
#10Excal1burPosted 10/25/2013 7:59:56 AM
Giant wall of troll topic