Are installs still mandatory?

#1SnoicFactorPosted 10/26/2013 1:04:40 AM
Curious seeing as how games are having upwards of 40-50gb installs.. That 500 would fill up relatively fast.
---
nt
#2Spetsnaz420Posted 10/26/2013 1:10:50 AM
Yep mandatory...supposedly because of bluray read speeds. Somehow last gen managed ok for PS3 with a soower bluray drives with minimal install files in most cases...seems that's no longer the case for either console now :/
---
I don't conform to social convention
#3SnoicFactor(Topic Creator)Posted 10/26/2013 1:22:03 AM
Isnt ps4 optional atm?
---
nt
#4Spetsnaz420Posted 10/26/2013 1:27:54 AM
SnoicFactor posted...
Isnt ps4 optional atm?

IIRC they both will require them...however you can upgrade the internal HDD for the PS4 and both systems will support external HDDs...but it isn't clear if we can install games on those for either console I'm afraid.
---
I don't conform to social convention
#5StorracPosted 10/26/2013 1:29:09 AM
Spetsnaz420 posted...
SnoicFactor posted...
Isnt ps4 optional atm?

IIRC they both will require them...however you can upgrade the internal HDD for the PS4 and both systems will support external HDDs...but it isn't clear if we can install games on those for either console I'm afraid.

Didn't they confirm that external harddrives were not supported on the PS4?
#6SythisTaruPosted 10/26/2013 1:30:40 AM
LOL! AMD = Finished!
#7crynryanPosted 10/26/2013 1:54:49 AM
SythisTaru posted...
LOL! AMD = Finished!

What does AMD have to do with Microsoft's decisions?

The installs are mandatory since hard drives are faster at reading data than the Bluray drives are, which would allow for smaller load times. But either way, it shouldn't matter much as long as the whole "play the game while it's installing/downloading" thing works well enough.
---
This feels warm. What is this feeling? Is it of warmth?
#8FoppePosted 10/26/2013 1:54:51 AM
You wont even get 500 GB with a 500 GB harddrive.
When it's formated, you will get something like 465 GB.
And then the OS is supposed to be big. Let's say that it's 65 GB.
Then you are down to 400 GB for all your games, patches, DLC, movies, etc.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#9EoinPosted 10/26/2013 2:58:12 AM
Spetsnaz420 posted...
Yep mandatory...supposedly because of bluray read speeds. Somehow last gen managed ok for PS3 with a soower bluray drives with minimal install files in most cases...seems that's no longer the case for either console now :/

The PS3 managed because its (2x) Blu-ray drive only had to fill 462MB of RAM (out of a total of 512MB, with 50MB reserved across both pools). For some games, the disc was sufficient for reasonable loading times. For others, the combination of the disc and a hard drive installation of the most common data was needed.

The new consoles have drives three times faster than the PS3, but have more than 10 times as much RAM available to fill, which more than cancels out the drive speed advantage. Therefore they need as much data on the faster medium (which is the hard drive) as possible. They'll play games from disc, but install while that's happening, to ensure that they have that capability.

The being said, on PS4, it seems to be a cache of data, rather than an install:

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/394021687475183616

Storrac posted...
Didn't they confirm that external harddrives were not supported on the PS4?

It won't support them for games or game installations. It's worth noting, however, that it does support them in the same way that the PS3 did.

Foppe posted...

That's just a nonsensical size and you are surely aware of that. That's several times the amount of space needed by Windows 8.
#10FoppePosted 10/26/2013 3:09:52 AM
Eoin posted...
Foppe posted...

That's just a nonsensical size and you are surely aware of that. That's several times the amount of space needed by Windows 8.

The only official we have got is Xbox One system software uses a significant amount of storage; less internal storage will be available to users., which you can read at http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/innovation
I think that 65GB is a good guess. I would be happy if it used less.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC