What are some reasons to get a One over a PS4?

#11BrockObama(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2013 9:07:33 AM
DesperateMonkey posted...
BrockObama posted...
I liked the 360 much more than the PS3 - I didn't even bother purchasing a PS3. This time around, though, I don't see many reasons at all to not get a PS4 instead.

Cons of getting a One:
Can't get a One without a Kinect being forced on you
$100 more than the PS4 - probably because of the Kinect problem
Historically high failure rates at launch compared to Sony
Some games will likely run at 720p on 360, but 1080p on PS4.

Pros of going with the One:

Halo and Titanfall. That's really all I can think of.

I've been a Microsoft supporter for a while, but I just can't figure out a way to justify getting this console over a PS4. Is there anything I'm missing here? Would the best option to be to wait and see if Microsoft drops some of their ridiculous policies, or whether the One has a high failure rate like the 360 did?

Your list is silly. You try to list price AND kinect. They are one thing. You pay the extra for Kinect but having it is an advantage, not a disadvantage. Paying for it is a disadvantage, having it is not.

Then you talk about failure rates and how Xbox launches historically do worse... this is absolutely false. All three systems by Sony have been faulty at launch. PS2 had as high of a rate of 50% failures on ARRIVAL and were sued for this in which they lost. PSX and PS3 both were unreliable. Xbox 360 the most unreliable ever but XB1 also one of the most reliable in history. XB360 also came with a 3 year warranty that was pretty ridiculous.

The graphics is certainly inferior on the Xbox and if thats the main thing you care about then the PS4 is the console for you.

In terms of advantages, Kinect is an obvious advantage as well as multitasking. They have more features like SNAP, smartmatch, HDMI Passthrough, facial recogntion, auto scans, extra features and controls for games (leaning in BF4 for example), voice controls and provide free dedicated servers for all third parties as well as Cloud features like MMO worlds but without the subscription fee or Pay to Win model. There is also the rumble triggers, apps like Kinect Fitness, TV integration and bigger list of exclusives.

So yeah, you are trading in a lot of stuff for $100 and better graphics. Whether you care about graphics and money or you care about online gaming, Kinect and features is up to personal preference. Some people think graphics is end all be all, others think its gameplay, others think its money, others think its online.

1. Do you have a source that the Kinect is the single reason that the One is $100 more? No, you don't, because it doesn't exist. People have simply speculated that this is the reason - and it's probably at least one of them, but may not be the only one.

2. Being forced to have a product that you will not use and is completely unnecessary is not a good thing. I play gaming consoles for one thing: the games. I don't buy high-end video game consoles to waggle around the room. If I wanted to do that, I would buy a Wii/Wii U, because Nintendo does that better.

3. The three-year warranty wasn't added until after it was discovered that the Xbox One had such a high failure rate.

4. I'll also need a cite to the lawsuit where Sony was sued for a high failure rate. You say that my statement that Microsoft launches have historically been worse is false, but then you turn around and admit that the 360 launch was the worst in history. The PS3 had some issues, too, but not too far beyond the scope of what you'd expect at a console launch. Neither the PS2 or Xbox had significant issues. The PS2's issues were mostly with faulty fans/faulty on-off switches -- nothing major.
#12DesperateMonkeyPosted 10/28/2013 9:25:23 AM
BrockObama posted...

1. Do you have a source that the Kinect is the single reason that the One is $100 more? No, you don't, because it doesn't exist. People have simply speculated that this is the reason - and it's probably at least one of them, but may not be the only one.

Uh... first of all, you are the one who said it first in your OP. If you are ignorant enough to believe that Kinect has nothing to do with the price then you shouldn't have even talked about it in the first place.

But just so you know:

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/161365-xbox-one-dev-claims-kinect-costs-almost-as-much-as-primary-console

But if you still want to argue for arguments sake and claim that Kinect did not factor into the cost of the console...

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-will-not-sell-the-xbox-one-for-a-loss

So basically, they don't want to take a loss anymore, Kinect is half the console cost and they are just barely breaking even or making a tiny profit off the console but remain aggressively priced.

2. Being forced to have a product that you will not use and is completely unnecessary is not a good thing. I play gaming consoles for one thing: the games. I don't buy high-end video game consoles to waggle around the room. If I wanted to do that, I would buy a Wii/Wii U, because Nintendo does that better.

Dumbest argument ever. I guess because Sony's console comes with a headset when I already have or plan on buying much superior ones is a NEGATIVE? Hows about the Bluray player in both machines? They are completely worthless and jack up the cost for no reason for people who play digital and watch HD movies free, whenever they want online... Having extra features can only benefit. If you hate it for no reason then just sell it to a PC guy and that will actually mitigate some of the costs of the Xbox...

3. The three-year warranty wasn't added until after it was discovered that the Xbox One had such a high failure rate.

And? PS2 never gave such a warranty at all. All in all, I had a 4 year warranty because it was already covered in first year and then extended by three years. I even used it to kill my Xbox with a towel to get the new HDMI version before my warranty was up. The Warranty is completely unprecedented in the hardware industry and was ripe for exploitation by consumers.

4. I'll also need a cite to the lawsuit where Sony was sued for a high failure rate. You say that my statement that Microsoft launches have historically been worse is false, but then you turn around and admit that the 360 launch was the worst in history. The PS3 had some issues, too, but not too far beyond the scope of what you'd expect at a console launch. Neither the PS2 or Xbox had significant issues. The PS2's issues were mostly with faulty fans/faulty on-off switches -- nothing major.

Are you really this ignorant on the subject? I suggest you actually google PS2, DRE and even YLOD and PSX issues. YLOD was actually really bad. The failure rate on the launch consoles were super high but they just took longer than RROD on average to kick in. I personally owned 4 PS2s, 3 of which died from DRE and I had to BUY them. China is the best place to figure out the failure rates because the people who sold PS2s were also responsible for fixing them and at LEAST 50% of PS2s are expected to come back for repairs.

This is also evident by the market price in China's console industry charged a big premium for the newer, fixed consoles. In fact, they did that in second hand shops too in Canada.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#13Skynet82997Posted 10/28/2013 9:26:44 AM
BrockObama posted...
DesperateMonkey posted...
BrockObama posted...
I liked the 360 much more than the PS3 - I didn't even bother purchasing a PS3. This time around, though, I don't see many reasons at all to not get a PS4 instead.

Cons of getting a One:

I've been a Microsoft supporter for a while, but I just can't figure out a way to justify getting this console over a PS4. Is there anything I'm missing here? Would the best option to be to wait and see if Microsoft drops some of their ridiculous policies, or whether the One has a high failure rate like the 360 did?

Your list is silly. You try to list price AND kinect. They are one thing. You pay the extra for Kinect but having it is an advantage, not a disadvantage. Paying for it is a disadvantage, having it is not.

Then you talk about failure rates and how Xbox launches historically do worse... this is absolutely false. All three systems by Sony have been faulty at launch. PS2 had as high of a rate of 50% failures on ARRIVAL and were sued for this in which they lost. PSX and PS3 both were unreliable. Xbox 360 the most unreliable ever but XB1 also one of the most reliable in history. XB360 also came with a 3 year warranty that was pretty ridiculous.

The graphics is certainly inferior on the Xbox and if thats the main thing you care about then the PS4 is the console for you.

In terms of advantages, Kinect is an obvious advantage as well as multitasking. They have more features like SNAP, smartmatch, HDMI Passthrough, facial recogntion, auto scans, extra features and controls for games (leaning in BF4 for example), voice controls and provide free dedicated servers for all third parties as well as Cloud features like MMO worlds but without the subscription fee or Pay to Win model. There is also the rumble triggers, apps like Kinect Fitness, TV integration and bigger list of exclusives.

So yeah, you are trading in a lot of stuff for $100 and better graphics. Whether you care about graphics and money or you care about online gaming, Kinect and features is up to personal preference. Some people think graphics is end all be all, others think its gameplay, others think its money, others think its online.

You answered your own question - so, get a PS4.
---
XBL Gamertag - SkyNett / PSN ID - SkyeNett / Clan - TheSynndicate
#14EpeenWeabooPosted 10/28/2013 11:46:25 AM
You should get an Xbox One instead of a PS4 because the Xbox One is way cheaper. It is also quite a bit more powerful than a PS4. Plus, it has significantly more launch games. On top of that, the controller is far superior to the DS4.

Wait, what's that you say? NONE of these things are true?

Well then....I guess there AREN'T any reasons to get an Xbox One over a Playstation 4............
---
Come at me, bro!
#150PTICSPosted 10/29/2013 12:10:10 AM
Exclusives
For me, they appeal to me more than the PS4's exclusives, but that doesn't mean I have interest in playing them.

COD Community
I just hope there are alot of players.

Dead Rising 3
Main reason right here. If it wasn't an exclusive I wouldn't care so much about wether or not the X1 COD community is big.
#16a687947Posted 10/29/2013 12:12:20 AM
exclusives and whichever more of the people you normally play with or talk to are going to buy are the main reasons to buy one or the other. Despite what people are trying to say, from the one game shown, the difference is negligible and up to personal preference
#17GotTruthPosted 10/29/2013 12:24:57 AM
BrockObama posted...

Cons of getting a One:

LOL.
Titanfall is a 360 release too........
HALO sux now. Very badly too. LOVED HALO since CE but this last one was COD with Cyborgs.....no thank you.
The Kinect is for suckers who like paying to BETA test Hardware. I have said repeatedly: Untill I can command a space fleet like Enders Game, or COntroll a RTS battle field like StarCraft or Warcraft3 in the same manner it is NOT a finished product; It is NOWHERE NEAR even rating as an "interesting" peripheral to me.
SNAP function makes fat kids with ADHD jump and jiggle with joy. "what I don't have but my soda and fat cake down to take 10 seconds to swap the disc and another 30 to load the game! OMG MOAR FAT CAKE!!!!"
---
You know they call it main-stream? Its because a stream is shallow.
GT: BuzzKillingt0n
#18MmaguyPosted 10/29/2013 12:32:43 AM
1. Controller - rumbling triggers (very important in my opinion), comfortable design, all around great controller.

2. Kinect - control your whole entertainment system and console with your voice. Kinect games if you have kids or young ones around, or even if you're into motion controls (some are, many aren't).

3. Games - the best (in my opinion) exclusive games available at launch and shown off for the future. Honestly there's not a single game on the PS4 that interests me at the moment (this will change, obviously), where as there are multiple games on the Xbox One that I'm excited to play.

Is there really anything else involved in a console? Controller, the way you control the console itself, and the games. It's really just personal preference (do you like the controller? Do you like the Kinect? Do you like the games?), if yes to these then obviously it's worth getting over the PS4 if you like them more than the PS4's games/features. If not, then it's not worth getting over the PS4.

pretty simple really.
#19GotTruthPosted 10/29/2013 12:50:32 AM
Mmaguy posted...
1. Controller - rumbling triggers (very important in my opinion), comfortable design, all around great controller.

2. Kinect - control your whole entertainment system and console with your voice. Kinect games if you have kids or young ones around, or even if you're into motion controls (some are, many aren't).

3. Games - the best (in my opinion) exclusive games available at launch and shown off for the future. Honestly there's not a single game on the PS4 that interests me at the moment (this will change, obviously), where as there are multiple games on the Xbox One that I'm excited to play.

Is there really anything else involved in a console? Controller, the way you control the console itself, and the games. It's really just personal preference (do you like the controller? Do you like the Kinect? Do you like the games?), if yes to these then obviously it's worth getting over the PS4 if you like them more than the PS4's games/features. If not, then it's not worth getting over the PS4.

pretty simple really.

!. Agree 100% totally prefer the Xbox style controller with all games, save Fighting/Driving Games, but I have a my FightSticks for those and my Wheel for the driving games.

2. two things: 1. Voice commands for menus= "MOAR FAT CAKE!!!!" Seriously is it THAT hard to navigate a menu with a d-pad? 2. the ONLY Kinect games are KIDS games. there is NOTHING for the mature adult user. Is there a Crazy awesome Enders Game tie-in with you controlling your entire fleet with Hand motions and Voice commands? A RTS like StarCraft 2 in which I can control my unit across a massive battle field with ONLY hand motions and voice commands? NO, because the tech is NOT there yet. Get back to me when it is. If it they could EVEN produce a game like that THEY WOULD HAVE. Especially considering Enders GAme comes out what? like 2 weeks before the XBOXone?

3. Titansfall is the ONLY game that looked interesting to me other than the CyberPunk action game(I forget the name) and it is CONFIRMED to have a 360 release so I don't even have to worry. Also Console "exclusive" title have NEVER been a factor for me as they almost all have a similar counterpart on the other console.......
---
You know they call it main-stream? Its because a stream is shallow.
GT: BuzzKillingt0n
#20MmaguyPosted 10/29/2013 12:58:50 AM
GotTruth posted...
Mmaguy posted...

pretty simple really.

!. Agree 100% totally prefer the Xbox style controller with all games, save Fighting/Driving Games, but I have a my FightSticks for those and my Wheel for the driving games.

2. two things: 1. Voice commands for menus= "MOAR FAT CAKE!!!!" Seriously is it THAT hard to navigate a menu with a d-pad? 2. the ONLY Kinect games are KIDS games. there is NOTHING for the mature adult user. Is there a Crazy awesome Enders Game tie-in with you controlling your entire fleet with Hand motions and Voice commands? A RTS like StarCraft 2 in which I can control my unit across a massive battle field with ONLY hand motions and voice commands? NO, because the tech is NOT there yet. Get back to me when it is. If it they could EVEN produce a game like that THEY WOULD HAVE. Especially considering Enders GAme comes out what? like 2 weeks before the XBOXone?

3. Titansfall is the ONLY game that looked interesting to me other than the CyberPunk action game(I forget the name) and it is CONFIRMED to have a 360 release so I don't even have to worry. Also Console "exclusive" title have NEVER been a factor for me as they almost all have a similar counterpart on the other console.......

We agree on 1 so I'll just leave that alone.

2. That's fine for you, that's your preference. Me? I find the voice controls and the ability to turn my TV from anywhere in the room with only my voice VERY interesting. I find it very cool that I can be playing a game, say a simple command without pausing my game or entering any menus, and snap the internet browser/Skype/TV/anything I want to the side of the screen. As I said in my post, Kinect games will be mostly for kids. You might not have any kids, but many, many people do, and Kinect is a great feature for kids, it's a gigantic positive if you have young ones around your home.

3. Again, that's your own personal preference. I find every single game announced for X1 to be far more interesting than anything on PS4, and exclusives are a huge deal to me when buying a console.

You asked for reasons as to why someone might buy the Xbox One over the PS4, and I've given you legitimate, accurate answers. These answers might not suit your personal taste/preference, but they certainly do mine and therefore are clear, reasonable, valid reasons to get the Xbox One over the PS4.