Sony dropping the PS Camera hurt Xbox One bad

#11RybalPosted 10/28/2013 1:09:15 PM
Honestly, if developers put in features using the camera(s) that were interesting, people would get/use them. In the end, though, it is going to be mostly first party studios that will have to set the bar.

FWIW, they could advertise the kinect/eye features with a playable ad in the start menu (so not forced).

I've said this for a while - Show me why I should want to use your peripheral.
---
Brand loyalty is most evident in Apple acolytes - the Applytes - that most rabid of fan bases who will buy a brand new device with every minor upgrade
#12BrownGottiPosted 10/28/2013 1:10:08 PM
Forget all the NSA stuff. If Kinect works as advertised, the Xbox One wins on the coolness factor. This is the gimmicky stuff that won over the Wii. The masses can care less about 720P vs 1080P, if you show them that you can now talk to your console and watch TV and play games at the same time. It looks really cool and that alone will sell consoles.

But..... it has to work!
#13Dev0311Posted 10/28/2013 1:15:12 PM
BrownGotti posted...
Forget all the NSA stuff. If Kinect works as advertised, the Xbox One wins on the coolness factor. This is the gimmicky stuff that won over the Wii. The masses can care less about 720P vs 1080P, if you show them that you can now talk to your console and watch TV and play games at the same time. It looks really cool and that alone will sell consoles.

But..... it has to work!

You forgot that the Wii was also successful due to its low price. That's what the masses care about too. Xbone costs 100% more than what the Wii launched for.
#14TerraUniversePosted 10/28/2013 1:18:56 PM
It's the opposite. The developers are just going to create games for Xbox One Kinect, which sells very well.

Zumba Fitness: World Party, for example is coming out on the Xbox and Wii consoles only.

Plus, Microsoft can just pay a developer to make them a good exclusive game.

Basically, if a developer wants to use motion control, they just go straight to Microsoft and don't have to worry about other consoles to develop for.

The Xbox 360 Kinect has already sold over 20 million units.

With Xbox One shipping with an Xbox One Kinect in each console, that means there will be even more Kinect users.
#15SoulTrapperPosted 10/28/2013 1:25:11 PM(edited)
BrownGotti posted...

But..... it has to work!

By "coolness factor", I assume you mean a gimmick that will get boring after a week.

I have voice control in my car, to change radio stations, make phone calls, change the heating, etc.
I had a ton of fun with it, for a day or two. Then I figured out it was faster to do everything manually and now I only use it when I get someone new in my car.
I really don't see kinect controls for your TV etc (outside video games) being any different.

TerraUniverse posted...

Plus, Microsoft can just pay a developer to make them a good exclusive game.

Then why haven't they done this?
Why haven't they given people a good reason to want the kinect by getting a game developed for it?

People would be much more inclined to want one if there actually was a good game for it, but instead, we get the same crap shovel ware games the kinect 1.0 had.

"There could possibly be games for it maybe someday" isn't a good enough reason to force people to spend $100 extra.
#16SyphonFilterAddictPosted 10/28/2013 1:27:07 PM
Incorrect. MS' stubborn insistence on having Kinect be a part of every system hurt the X1. 3rd year into the Kinect experiment and there still isn't a MUST HAVE game that uses Kinect at a base level. Everything is either voice command or hand functions for video services. All I keep hearing is how developers will be using it in ways we can't imagine. Launching a new console and having no killer Kinect game or feature is embarrassing.
---
What?! No one dashy-dine on Stavros!
#17BrownGottiPosted 10/28/2013 1:28:55 PM
Dev0311 posted...
BrownGotti posted...

But..... it has to work!

You forgot that the Wii was also successful due to its low price. That's what the masses care about too. Xbone costs 100% more than what the Wii launched for.

True, the price was killer for the Wii. But visually, it was the worst. Just think of all the silly segments on Good Morning America, Jimmy Fallon and the today show. They are not going to count lines of resolution when they put the PS4 next to the Xbox One. They are going to dance and look silly in front of Kinect. Just like they did the last time Kinect launched. There are a lot of non tech savvy people who have money to burn and like new things.
#18EoinPosted 10/28/2013 1:40:55 PM
This is correct. While people imagine Sony feinting with DRM to fool Microsoft, the camera is a clear instance where that actually happened. They showed off the camera on the day that the PS4 was announced, they mentioned a dedicated camera port (which exists on the PS4), they didn't say that it was going to be included but didn't deny it and allowed that assumption to flourish, and then just pulled the carpet from under Microsoft at E3.

Suddenly, development of camera games was marginalised. Very few games use Kinect as the primary control - only 6 have been announced, and two of those don't even have release dates. Microsoft narrowly avoided having no Kinect-primary content at launch by announcing - only just today - what's basically a free demo of Kinect Sports Rivals.

Microsoft have found themselves on the wrong side of both price and features. It should have been a matter of the disadvantage of the Xbox One costing US$100 extra being cancelled out by the advantage of it including Kinect. Instead, the disadvantage of it costing US$100 extra is compounded by the additional disadvantage that it includes Kinect. What makes this even worse is that developers might even still port camera-based games to the PS4 anyway, possibly even limiting those games to what the less-technically-capable PS4 camera can do.

This is still a scenario of Microsoft's own making though. Whatever Sony chose, Microsoft were committed to including Kinect with each console and they should have been able to sell that decision far better than they have.
#19LICKWIDPAlNPosted 10/28/2013 1:49:31 PM
SyphonFilterAddict posted...
Incorrect. MS' stubborn insistence on having Kinect be a part of every system hurt the X1. 3rd year into the Kinect experiment and there still isn't a MUST HAVE game that uses Kinect at a base level. Everything is either voice command or hand functions for video services. All I keep hearing is how developers will be using it in ways we can't imagine. Launching a new console and having no killer Kinect game or feature is embarrassing.

Not only that but there is Grand total if 5 Kinetic games due out from now until the end of next year. 5 games.
FIVE!
---
PS3 / Vita / 2600K@4.7Ghz water cooled by Corsair H80, Dual GTX580s in SLi, 8 Gigs Corsair RAM, 120Hz screen. Vsync? I don't need no Vsync! PSN: Liquidpain
#20billsfanno1Posted 10/28/2013 1:55:54 PM
Shouldn't we be at least 1-2 years into next gen before people start writing post mortems?