Xbox One: Where crazy frame rate drops happen

#41benjimainPosted 11/3/2013 12:48:09 PM
Have some of this:

http://i.imgur.com/BKPl9kq.png
#42sworderPosted 11/3/2013 1:00:57 PM
InjusticeReborn posted...
The PS4 is slightly ahead in the picture the TC posted, in terms of events. Only slightly, but it's ahead. Also, at that moment, a chopper flies over. I don't know if it's the chopper firing at the player, but something is, on the XBO side, causing those extra particles. That doesn't seem to appear on the PS4 side?

In the picture whoever it was posted, that shows the PS4 behind the XBO in fps drop - where that whole thing starts in the video (with the tower collapsing), the PS4 suffers at that bit for a moment. It drops before the XBO, and drops lower than the XBO.

But then there are slight dips from the XBO drops, and the PS4 doesn't at all.

But after watching it through for the first time just now, I can honestly say there isn't a lot in it. 4fps between the majority of the differences?

But I would like to add, which is a point I think might be worth highlighting (and tried to bring it up in another topic I think got ignored), but in BF3, the debris from an explosion was never the same all of the time. It looks like there are sections like that in this also. Again, it is very hard to tell without both being in the same exact place at the same exact time, which is hard to d with these sections they chose to do.

Thoughts?

I think the effects are usually the same in scripted stuff like the way the building explodes in the campaign, or even stuff like levolution in multiplayer

However, if you look at the video, the sparks that appear on the screen are not from the building exploding. They are from the helicopter shooting at the player and the bullets destroying something next to him. You can see the debris flying into the screen, which doesn't happen in the PS4 version because they just weren't being shot at that moment

As for the frame rate, it is true that it's really not a big deal. It's also not indicative of much since it's just single player and doesn't really matter anyway. In MP it can make a difference depending on how much they dip. 64 players at one time causing mayhem can be really taxing
#43InjusticeRebornPosted 11/3/2013 1:09:41 PM
benjimain posted...
Have some of this:

http://i.imgur.com/BKPl9kq.png

What the hell is the black mess at the bottom of the XBO side, above the word 'incomplete'?
#44benjimainPosted 11/3/2013 1:14:52 PM
What the hell is the black mess at the bottom of the XBO side, above the word 'incomplete'?

Looks like a bug not ironed out because of how hard the Bone is to develop for. Dear oh dear, this gen ain't gonna be purdy for Xbox fans.
#45InjusticeRebornPosted 11/3/2013 1:21:09 PM
sworder posted...

I think the effects are usually the same in scripted stuff like the way the building explodes in the campaign, or even stuff like levolution in multiplayer

However, if you look at the video, the sparks that appear on the screen are not from the building exploding. They are from the helicopter shooting at the player and the bullets destroying something next to him. You can see the debris flying into the screen, which doesn't happen in the PS4 version because they just weren't being shot at that moment

As for the frame rate, it is true that it's really not a big deal. It's also not indicative of much since it's just single player and doesn't really matter anyway. In MP it can make a difference depending on how much they dip. 64 players at one time causing mayhem can be really taxing

Yeah, I'd agree with the assumption that explosions for scripted stuff will be the same, and the shrapnel/debris is probably 100% of the time the same also. But what about stuff that can be freely blown up, that happen to get destroyed along with these scripted things? They'd have a selection of animations of destruction, adding the possibility of random debris flying around?

As for your second part about the helicopter shooting - glad to know you saw what I saw. So if you can agree that the chopper shooting at the player was only on the XBO version and the same thing doesn't happen on the PS4 version, wouldn't you agree debris created because of the 'extra' action would result in the slight dip in fps compared to the version no having those actions/debris taking place?

But I agree, it isn't that much of a deal. It's just funny that some are throwing these things around to try and get one up over the other, when there isn't a base (or whatever the word is?) to compare against.

And thank you for a decent reply. Few and far between at the moment. XD
#46sworderPosted 11/3/2013 1:27:38 PM
Yeah, I'd agree with the assumption that explosions for scripted stuff will be the same, and the shrapnel/debris is probably 100% of the time the same also. But what about stuff that can be freely blown up, that happen to get destroyed along with these scripted things? They'd have a selection of animations of destruction, adding the possibility of random debris flying around?

As for your second part about the helicopter shooting - glad to know you saw what I saw. So if you can agree that the chopper shooting at the player was only on the XBO version and the same thing doesn't happen on the PS4 version, wouldn't you agree debris created because of the 'extra' action would result in the slight dip in fps compared to the version no having those actions/debris taking place?

But I agree, it isn't that much of a deal. It's just funny that some are throwing these things around to try and get one up over the other, when there isn't a base (or whatever the word is?) to compare against.

And thank you for a decent reply. Few and far between at the moment. XD

Hah, I'm usually one of the trolls but I can give serious replies if someone wants to have a serious debate or conversation about something

And yeah, it may have affected the frame rate. Aside from the explosions and in game cutscenes, the game usually remains at a very stable 60fps for both consoles so the only real difference is that the Xbone version has less AA and you can see jaggies occasionally
#47CokaineCowboy77Posted 11/3/2013 1:33:28 PM
zephirraines posted...
Heracylost posted...
Who cares? Oh no my frame rate dropped better call the po po. These are systems that are medium/low build PCs. What do you people expect?

Thats what i am wondering. If people cared so much about specs they would have a gaming PC and laugh at both.

A lot of games don't come to the PC. If you're getting a console you may as well get the superior product.
---
"What FF character can defeat Genie?"
SBK91 - "None of them. They don't begin register."
#48Board_ColliePosted 11/3/2013 3:25:29 PM
On another topic here people told me framerate doesn't matter.
---
Lol: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/67056898
#49InjusticeRebornPosted 11/4/2013 3:01:56 AM
benjimain posted...

Looks like a bug not ironed out because of how hard the Bone is to develop for. Dear oh dear, this gen ain't gonna be purdy for Xbox fans.

Yeah, not buying it. I'm afraid.

I mean, it's easy for anyone to make a comparison image and make one side look worse or better than the other.

Unfortunately, there are people willing to twist things in their favour. You see quite a lot of it here.

As is always said, competition, or even rivalry, can be an extremely good thing, when entering level-headed. We could all be talking about positives and negatives of each console/version of the same game, but it's poisonous at the moment, and things like that image I questioned might possibly be an example.

Which video is it from anyway? I must have missed it. :/
#50schmarkenheimerPosted 11/4/2013 4:23:41 AM
Heracylost posted...
zephirraines posted...
Heracylost posted...
Who cares? Oh no my frame rate dropped better call the po po. These are systems that are medium/low build PCs. What do you people expect?

Thats what i am wondering. If people cared so much about specs they would have a gaming PC and laugh at both.

I'm currently running a comparable PC, with a better video card. I built it over a year ago. Miracles ain't gonna happen. Want no frame rate drops, that'll be about 5 grand. The video cards will cost you 800 bones each... Gotta have 2. :)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc-fx-6300-overclocking,3617-14.html

$650. More than 60fps average stock in BF3 on Ultra with 4x MSAA at 1080p. Given that the X1 isn't running settings that high in BF4 and how it's 720p and how it runs at 50-60fps average, yeah. That PC gets >120fps on similar settings at more than double the resolution for 30% more money. High will probably be ~90fps average stock on 1080p, ~100fps overclocked. Need an $800 GPU to run games well? Haha, no. Need 2? I don't think you know what you're talking about. Just to see, we shall get closer to your estimate!

$1300 - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-your-own-haswell-overclocking,3608-12.html

More than 100fps overclocked at ultra, 4x MSAA 1080p. Notice you're pushing 200fps average on medium settings at 1600x900, which looks similar to what the X1 is doing at ~50-60fps at 720p. So that's more than triple the average frame rate pushing 50% more pixels.

Well then let's go to half your claim.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc-core-i7-overclocking,3596-10.html

$2.5k, you're getting 180fps+ average on ultra 4x MSAA at 1080p. Triple the frame rate pushing more than double the pixels with much higher settings. If we work that out using X1 value, that means spending 5x more than an X1 will get you more than 6x the value playing games. Not that often you see something much more expensive being better value. I suppose that puts the X1 into perspective.

CokaineCowboy77 posted...

A lot of games don't come to the PC. If you're getting a console you may as well get the superior product.

A lot of games don't go to consoles.
---
Post of the ****ing year. - crimsyn_76 Best. Example. Ever. - Veliconis
Epic. - Xade76 Want to run that by us in English instead of Derp, champ? - pies12