Thinking about canceling my XBox One pre-order. Am I making a mistake?

#1pooterPosted 10/29/2013 6:07:18 AM
I had the PS2 and original Xbox the day both were released. I bought the PS3 and 360 they day those were released. I have a pre-order for the PS4 and One, and I'm having second thoughts.

The majority of the games I played were on the 360. I try to stay brand agnostic, but I have to admit I have more fond feelings for the XBox than Playstation. I only used the latter for blu-ray and the occasional PS exclusive (MLB the Show, Uncharted, etc.)

I currently only have my 360 and a pretty new gaming PC, my PS3 broke earlier this summer. Owning 3 gaming systems now seems redundant. I feel like either the PS4 or the XBox One will be mostly unused. The problem is I feel like the PS4 has better hardware and a lot of my friends are jumping ship from the 360 to the PS4.

If I only get one system, it'll come down to 3 things:

1. Most importantly, which will have the best exclusives (including what i can't get on the PC)
2. Will the apparent hardware differences between the PS4 and One be more and more apparent down the road?
3. If 1 & 2 are clear advantages for the PS4, will One's entertainment features be worth it? My wife and I need a new blu ray player, and we do a lot of streaming services like Netflix, HBO Go, etc.

If I don't get one at launch, it'll primarily be because of #1. If a great exclusive comes out later next year, I may take the plunge.
---
XBox Live Gamertag: Pooler
PSN: Pooter03
#2JohnWall32Posted 10/29/2013 6:08:28 AM
already cancelled mine...along with my ps4 pre-order...pc and 360 until next year
#3SoulTrapperPosted 10/29/2013 6:15:31 AM(edited)
1. This is of course mostly based on opinion. So it's quite difficult to say which will have the best exclusives.
That said, most xbox exclusives tend to find their way to PC as well.

2. Hard to say: the main problem seems to be the eSRAM. Some reports say devs will get better at working with it and the games will become more similar, other reports say the difference won't go away and the ps4 will always have an advantage.
This will be much more apparent in exclusives, so it could be an important part of your first point as well.

3. PS4 offers most of what the xbox offers as well without the paywall. Things like Netflix and Hulu will all be free to use on the ps4, you don't need PSN+, whereas you do need xbox live to access these features on the xbox.

Most people seem to be rather hesitant about getting either console at this point.
The wisest thing to do is wait till next year, when everything about both consoles has become clear and you can make a decision based on that.
#4pooter(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2013 6:14:57 AM
I considered that, but my wife really wants a new blu ray player, so I may as well get one or the other. If I only get one, the money I save can go toward a new video card and future proof me for awhile. :)
---
#5axelfooley2k5Posted 10/29/2013 6:19:53 AM
pooter......if i may call you pooter........

no, you are NOT making a mistake
---
Kramerica Industries
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icDXNHF-oEw
#6steelix55Posted 10/29/2013 6:31:12 AM(edited)
I still have both consoles pre-ordered, but I am thinking of cancelling one or both of them as well. I want to cancel Xbox One because it has nothing within the first year that I can't get on my PC with better visuals, and I can't stand having to pay an extra $100 dollars for a camera that I do not want and would never purchase if it was sold separately. Might cancel the PS4 as well because none of the currently announced games interest me, not a fan of the controller, and once again, I can get everything it has to offer on my PC. Might just wait until Infamous: Second Son comes out, and then if that doesn't get good reviews, wait until Naughty Dog's next game comes out. For Xbox One, I might wait until Halo 5 or a Kinectless SKU with a much cheaper price tag.
---
i5 2500k @ 4.4GHz || 212 EVO || GTX 560 Ti || Vengeance 16GB RAM || 1TB HDD || ASRock Z68 E3G3 MB || Corsair TX750 PSU || 12X BD-ROM || Win7 x86
#7ILikesCheesePosted 10/29/2013 6:22:25 AM
Does anyone take these topics seriously?

I mean REALLY. Does anyone actually come on to this website to ask a question for which they cannot make their own mind up on?
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#8sworderPosted 10/29/2013 6:24:46 AM
There is no reason to get the console right away other than being a beta tester for crappy hardware that may malfunction

The games will still be there next year
#9pooter(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2013 6:25:09 AM
Sure, it's the stupid-ass name I chose for myself.

I was hoping there'd be more pro-One responses on the the Xbox One board. :) I think that if Xbox exclusives do come to the PC, there's really not much reason for me to get one....

Meh.
---
#10kyncaniPosted 10/29/2013 6:59:51 AM
If you want Kinect, you get a Xbox One.

Other than that, no, every other console out there is better.