Look at all these pretending graphics don't matter

#51Sniper_BrosefPosted 10/29/2013 12:56:22 PM
regsantotomas posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...
regsantotomas posted...
Graphics have and will always matter. As will the accompanying components that make a game fun like game play, design, story, sound, etc.

The issue here is that these deltas between consoles that people won't be comparing side by side are largely irrelevant except for the chest thumpers who are insistent that their platform of choice is clearly superior.

If, in fact, graphics were the biggest determinant in your purchasing decision, a PC would be a no-brainer.

What I find most amusing is throughout all this examination of graphics, there is not one mention of audio fidelity which IMO is a large part of the experience.

Clearly. Just look at how terrible Minecraft is!

Oh, wait...

Ha.

Actually, I think Minecraft is pretty stupid but I'm probably in the minority. Despite that, even on a game like Minecraft, graphics still matter - just to a lesser extent. As I said, graphics matter relative to the accompanying components.

Right but you're missing the point. I think I summed it up best in my original post in this topic so I'm just going to link you to that:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/67661475/762823068
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#52regsantotomasPosted 10/29/2013 1:01:11 PM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
When people say "graphics don't matter" they are referring to the minor differences that there will be between the two consoles this gen. They are showcasing the fact that the gameplay and narrative of a particular title have much more affect on the overall quality of a game than just pretty graphics. This is something the fanboys don't grasp. Graphics are like the sprinkles on a cupcake. Sure they make the cupcake look better but they're rather meaningless to the overall experience of eating a cupcake.

I guess that for me - Graphics can carry a different weight depending on the game. To say that they are only sprinkles on a cupcake for every game (to use your metaphor) is a very over simplistic way to marginalize its impact on a game by game basis.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#53Sniper_BrosefPosted 10/29/2013 1:04:27 PM
regsantotomas posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...
When people say "graphics don't matter" they are referring to the minor differences that there will be between the two consoles this gen. They are showcasing the fact that the gameplay and narrative of a particular title have much more affect on the overall quality of a game than just pretty graphics. This is something the fanboys don't grasp. Graphics are like the sprinkles on a cupcake. Sure they make the cupcake look better but they're rather meaningless to the overall experience of eating a cupcake.

I guess that for me - Graphics can carry a different weight depending on the game. To say that they are only sprinkles on a cupcake for every game (to use your metaphor) is a very over simplistic way to marginalize its impact on a game by game basis.

Well that's just my opinion. Would icing on the cupcake be a more apt metaphor for you? Regardless, you get what I'm suggesting. The meat and potatoes of any game is the gameplay. Great core gameplay with mediocre graphics trumps great graphics with mediocre gameplay everyday, for me anyway. Which is why I always say that graphics don't matter.
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#54BraxSimeonPosted 10/29/2013 1:24:28 PM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
regsantotomas posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...

Well that's just my opinion. Would icing on the cupcake be a more apt metaphor for you? Regardless, you get what I'm suggesting. The meat and potatoes of any game is the gameplay. Great core gameplay with mediocre graphics trumps great graphics with mediocre gameplay everyday, for me anyway. Which is why I always say that graphics don't matter.

^^
Exactly. What great game was great because of it's graphics? Doom III? Rage? Graphics are "nice". If you take CoD down to Quake level graphics, it's exactly the same "fun" as it is at high rez/high geometry graphics.

Don't get me wrong, I LIKE looking at pretty graphics and going, "Wow... those textures look sharp." But that stage only lasts for about five minutes before all I care about is the game play.
---
GT: Brax
13 12 4 X
#55regsantotomasPosted 10/29/2013 1:46:01 PM(edited)
Sniper_Brosef posted...
regsantotomas posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...

I don't think we are disagreeing all that much. The formula for what makes a game fun for each individual is certainly going to vary a little bit and we all have our own preference.

I look at a game like Walking Dead that I loved but really was pretty marginal on the game play and the graphics weren't really all that amazing but the experience as a whole was amazing.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#56FoppePosted 10/29/2013 1:58:10 PM
BraxSimeon posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...
regsantotomas posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...

^^
Exactly. What great game was great because of it's graphics? Doom III? Rage? Graphics are "nice". If you take CoD down to Quake level graphics, it's exactly the same "fun" as it is at high rez/high geometry graphics.

Don't get me wrong, I LIKE looking at pretty graphics and going, "Wow... those textures look sharp." But that stage only lasts for about five minutes before all I care about is the game play.

Your post reminded me of http://www.duelinganalogs.com/image/first-person-shooters-then-now/
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#57archibald3Posted 10/29/2013 1:59:55 PM
In the latest issue of Edge Magazine Shinji Mikami, creator of Resident Evil, made a comment about the hardware of the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4 having the same technical prowess. “There’s no real difference between them. We only need one console. Why do I have to make two versions of a game? And when Xbox One was first announced it had lower specs than the PS4, but now they’re almost identical. So either will do.”

Keiji Inafune, most known as the illustrator and co-designer of Mega Man, has also told Edge Magazine “I don’t think there’s a major difference between them.” In the past other developers have said that the PS4 is greater terms of power. Developers that made such comments have decided to remain anonymous. Since such comments were made, the Xbox One has become more powerful in what it is capable of achieving.
#58RetrowirePosted 10/29/2013 2:02:05 PM
Graphics don't matter. Value does. So I like to look at it the way CinemaBlend does;

"Basically, what this means is that anyone who decides to buy an Xbox One over a Wii U is getting gypped by $200. You're paying more for an inferior system that runs games at lower resolutions and fewer frames per second. In addition to this, the Wii U has been confirmed to have more 1080p 60fps games than the Xbox One, meaning that you will get more true next-gen games on Nintendo's console than Microsoft's console.

If you're okay paying more for a weaker system, then go ahead and do so."

Quoted from the Article here: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Confirmed-Battlefield-4-720p-Xbox-One-900p-PS4-60210.html
---
Not changing this sig until Flipnote3D is released in NA. Started August/12/13
#59gumbyxcore99Posted 10/29/2013 2:03:30 PM
they both suck honestly
---
(C)1998 PS4 DEFENcE FORZE
#60RetrowirePosted 10/29/2013 2:07:55 PM
gumbyxcore99 posted...
they both suck honestly

I've been saying this exactly! They're both rushed, it's going to be Yellow lights of death and Red Rings of Death all over again.
---
Not changing this sig until Flipnote3D is released in NA. Started August/12/13