are digital gamers screwed?

#1gumbyxcore99Posted 10/29/2013 2:50:46 PM
these inflated game sizes are out of control. 8 gigs is a good size for a game. 40 is out of control
---
(C)1998 PS4 DEFENcE FORZE
#2WaywardBiscuitPosted 10/29/2013 2:52:14 PM
only if you have crap speeds and data caps
---
George Likes Spicy Chicken
#3gumbyxcore99(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2013 2:57:48 PM
internet connection speeds in NA are not where they need to be for this kind of commitment
---
#4EllesarienPosted 10/29/2013 2:59:59 PM
gumbyxcore99 posted...
internet connection speeds in NA are not where they need to be for this kind of commitment

Agreed on that.
---
I will try and see it from your point of view, but I doubt we'll be able to fit both our heads up there.
#5CyborgTwentyPosted 10/29/2013 3:05:44 PM
I dunno about X1 but on PS4 it's no problem:

When a title is selected online, only a portion of the game data has to be transferred to the system before it can be started (e.g. the first level), with the remaining parts downloading during play, reducing waiting time. If users prefer to play their game directly from disc, PS4 will install data to the hard drive during play, eliminating loading times. This is accomplished via the system's background processor. Similarly, system updates are downloaded seamlessly in the background without interruption. The PS4 also features technology that attempts to determine trends, including titles a gamer is likely to express interest in next, and then automatically download a small percentage of those games in the background, even in sleep mode, in order to save time.
#6PsychoGatesPosted 10/29/2013 3:07:16 PM
CyborgTwenty posted...

When a title is selected online, only a portion of the game data has to be transferred to the system before it can be started (e.g. the first level), with the remaining parts downloading during play, reducing waiting time. If users prefer to play their game directly from disc, PS4 will install data to the hard drive during play, eliminating loading times. This is accomplished via the system's background processor. Similarly, system updates are downloaded seamlessly in the background without interruption. The PS4 also features technology that attempts to determine trends, including titles a gamer is likely to express interest in next, and then automatically download a small percentage of those games in the background, even in sleep mode, in order to save time.

its the same on X1
#7bessy67Posted 10/29/2013 3:08:04 PM
Honestly I'm more concerned about pre-order bonuses on digital titles than I am about their size. Take CoD Ghosts for instance. I want to get the digital version, but I also want the Freefall bonus map. Since you can't preorder digital titles on the XBL marketplace I'm not sure if I'll get the bonus or not.
---
"Immigrants. That's all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
GT: Bessy67
#8squarex8264Posted 10/29/2013 3:14:12 PM
PsychoGates posted...
CyborgTwenty posted...

its the same on X1

Yeah, if a game is like 40GB, you'll probably only need to download a couple of GBs, and then you should be able to start playing. This should be supported on both X1 and PS4 at launch. So digital gaming is definitely getting better across all fronts, which is good to see.
---
"You guys can sig that if you want." -TheArcade
#9gumbyxcore99(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2013 3:16:25 PM
thats a good start but the main problem is the games being 40 gigs
---
#10TheDarkNerdPosted 10/29/2013 3:24:10 PM(edited)
Honestly I'm more concerned about pre-order bonuses on digital titles than I am about their size. Take CoD Ghosts for instance. I want to get the digital version, but I also want the Freefall bonus map. Since you can't preorder digital titles on the XBL marketplace I'm not sure if I'll get the bonus or not.

On PSN, preorder bonuses not exclusive to specific retailers were available to anyone who purchased the digital version of the game within X amount of time after release. Pre-purchasing (including pre-downloading) was also available for certain games. Steam had a similar pre-purchase/pre-download setup.

No idea if the same held true for XBLA.

Though yeah, 40 gigs is crazy, especially if you're a Canadian on a more affordable/sensible data plan. 80GB/mo for $60 or so was when I was living in the largest city in Canada, subscribing through the largest internet provider of the region. Going any higher with my data would have raised the cost of my plan considerably.
---
http://i.imgur.com/WKp3kfx.gif