Sad fact about the upcoming generation

#1chickabumpbumpPosted 10/30/2013 5:32:13 PM
As someone at the age of 30 who has been lucky / unlucky in equal measure with jobs over the years I have worked in QA, event work and various other little techy roles in the games industry as well as an events host in a rather large gaming retail store in England years ago I have spent most my working life around gamers.

I dont use alot of social media or forums since its all such negativity!! let me give you some examples.

Firstly I cant help notice that the internet is a horrible hive of rumours, trolls, negativity, insults and worse of all presumption. Like look at how badly everyone reacted to and made up alot of rumours about the xbox one; most of them were false. Then Sony simply waited and did their own 180 as they were originally going to have DRM in aspects and the eye camera in the box, now I understand they are a BUSINESS to make MONEY!!!! which is something people forget but after E3 no one talked about the possibilities of online, digital libraries, multi media use and that games consoles are more like PC's now which is generally a great thing.

Now I see people moaning about resolutions........which is more sad since the human eye at certain distances with anything under a 50 inch tv will NOT see major differences in alot of resolutions and more so now with the higher frame rates but again no one is saying how excited they are for clearly the best battlefield ever or that COD has a new story and ideas for MP but people are moaning on the xbox one about something they simply will not notice and to make it worse its about something to petty as graphics, the least important fact in gaming. Didnt telltales walking dead teach us that.

People treated the PS move and the kinect with hatred despite them offering us great new ways to play games, christ both have been used outside gaming in education and even physiotherapy! thats amazing.

People are angry about titanfall , now In my perfect world there would be one games console and no such things as exclusives but unless you get all machines youre going to miss out on something! so why are people angry

I am buying an xbox one on launch and then a ps4 a year later maybe sooner because im a gamer but im saddened to see so little excitment this gen so far about games and tech and its future potential, i know its early days but I hope its all left behind this time next year as all 3 machines are great and im looking forward to them
#2knightimexPosted 10/30/2013 5:35:51 PM
The internet wasn't really bad at all when we actually had GOOD stuff back in the mid 90's.

Developers forgetting what makes a game good, and gamers being too entitled left a bitter taste in everyone's mouth.
---
I'm a Nintendo fanboy Sony pony, who owned an Xbox 360 7th gen, prefers ps4 over wii u,Likes grfx, trolls pc master race, Put that in your pipe, & smoke it!
#3chickabumpbump(Topic Creator)Posted 11/3/2013 12:59:00 PM
knightimex posted...
The internet wasn't really bad at all when we actually had GOOD stuff back in the mid 90's.

Developers forgetting what makes a game good, and gamers being too entitled left a bitter taste in everyone's mouth.

Hm sadly true
#4lilj812Posted 11/3/2013 1:02:02 PM
It's about the customers and what they want always. There is no such thing as an entitled gamer, because a gamer is just a customer and it's the companies job to make the customer happy. If the customer ain't happy, you got problems.
---
"World's best heel and you don't even know it"
"I would only give the xbox one a 6/10, the Stanley Parable is a lot better." -Ch3wy
#5HiddenRoarPosted 11/3/2013 1:04:56 PM
This is exactly a copy-paste of the topic you made on the PS4 board.
#6chickabumpbump(Topic Creator)Posted 11/3/2013 1:05:42 PM
HiddenRoar posted...
This is exactly a copy-paste of the topic you made on the PS4 board.

Why wouldnt it be? Its about generalization of gamers not either machine
#7DamnEvilDogPosted 11/3/2013 1:18:09 PM
There are not enough true gamers on the web compared to people who are blind hate filled children who feel the need to sling insults, post images and throwing around tired meme's in nearly every post they make.

I found my way to Gamefaqs some odd years ago for some reason or another, thought it would be cool to join in some convos (had a different user name when I first joined, using this one now as it is what I use in art commissions) and I found the forums an AMAZING place to get info about games and feature about a console I liked, now it is not, the above described fanboys infest every board looking for one sign of blood before going in for the kill, it's sad.

I was a multi console owner this gen, I reduced my Wii collection down to 3 cause I disliked everything else and sold my PS3 because there was nothing I wanted for it, sure I played and enjoyed (some what) some of the exclusives, but I hated the UI and really hated PSN speeds so that leaves my Xbox 360 and my PC.

So with all of that said I am getting an Xbox One, sure I could use that $500 to get a PS4, but I don't want it, I am not a blind fanboy, if I was I would have swallowed the pill that Sony was trying to shove in my face last gen and stayed Playstation only and never got a Wii or an Xbox 360.

People should just respect each other and their opinions, but sadly most topics on this board will devolve into crap flinging contest between three or more idiots and you points will be missed (not that a lot of people will read them, or even read what I typed)

Well I suppose that is all I wanted to say besides thank you TC, it's always refreshing to see some people have grown up mentally, enjoy the upcoming gen and all the games that will be available to you being that you will be a multi console owner.
#8AzaneAzerPosted 11/3/2013 1:33:29 PM(edited)
The biggest thing this generation so far seems that the companies are looking at the best way to screw their userbase out of the most money, rather than actually trying to make the best experience for it's users.

I like how Microsoft was trying to sell the xbone as a replacement for computers, but then wanted to require internet connectivity, so, it's for people who have internet but no computer? the fanbase would be 4 people with that stance.

It's just silly that DRM, price hikes, Required peripherals that aren't required (literally, 100$ hole in the box for 90% of the userbase), and arrogance... the way Don told people to just go buy a 360 if they didn't have consistent internet.... I'm glad that comment cost him his job.

I miss previous generations when announcements and exbos were all positives for the console, and they didnt rely on the games purely to sell their console (Don't get me wrong, I like a good game lineup, but the Xbone keeps lowering it's personal value by the day, and it really only has the games to stand on, I mean, it works for Nintendo [Or does it])

The reason why it seems like a lot of people have vested interests in the console war, is because we do.

Stop accepting mediocrity, stop letting companies sell us crap in a box, because it smells a little better than the other crap in the box. Stop letting DRM and Withheld/On Disc DLC become the norms (Well, we failed in the last one, enjoy BF4 having "PREMIUM" and only 3 maps if you don't pay them extra money for what would be packaged with the game if it wasn't EA)
#9SunDevil77Posted 11/3/2013 1:36:31 PM
lilj812 posted...
It's about the customers and what they want always. There is no such thing as an entitled gamer, because a gamer is just a customer and it's the companies job to make the customer happy. If the customer ain't happy, you got problems.

Oh, yes. There are so many entitled gamers, it's scary
---
Hell, it's about time.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#10AzaneAzerPosted 11/3/2013 1:37:25 PM
People should get what they pay for, if the console is 100$ more, it should be 100$ better in some way shape form, not Objectively worse.