Is the Xbox One more powerful than modern PCs?

#1VioletZer0Posted 10/30/2013 7:15:12 PM
By modern I mean high end products made this year.

I heard someone say that even modern PCs won't be able to handle games like Titanfall unless you spend thousands of dollars. Is that true?
#22ndAtomiskPosted 10/30/2013 7:17:42 PM
High end PCs > consoles in terms of power.
---
I'm gonna cut out your eyes and piss in the ****ing sockets! ~ Kaine
#3triple sPosted 10/30/2013 7:18:53 PM
A modern PC that you can buy at Wal-Mart? Yes.
---
GT:Triple S 06
Steam ID:triples22
#4jimm120Posted 10/30/2013 7:19:37 PM
Both the PS4 and the Xbox are underpowered.

These new consoles are "more underpowered" to the PC's of this time than the PS3/Xbox360 were when they were released. When PS3/X360 were released, they could play some games on high settings which most PC people (unless they had a SLI rig) couldn't play on high settings. This time around, its just the medium end graphics cards.
---
Worthy Indie: Magicians & Looters -Breath Of Death -Cuthulu Saves The World -EvilQuest -Trino -Shoot 1UP -Your Doodles Are Bugged -Vintage Hero
#5steelix55Posted 10/30/2013 7:36:19 PM
More powerful than say a $500-600 dollar PC your average consumer would purchase from Best Buy? Yes. More powerful than a custom built PC in the mid range of $700 dollars? Not even close. I built the PC in my sig in January 2012, and it owns Xbox One in terms of raw power, especially once I upgrade my GPU in a couple of months. Cost me $1,100 dollars to build myself, but I went all out on a lot of parts in order to future proof it such as a 750W PSU, and 16 GB of RAM, and a Blu-Ray drive which aren't needed to run games at this current time.

I've also saved a lot of money lately by buying games off of Steam and not for my 360 or PS3. For example, I just bought The Walking Dead complete series off of Steam today for $6 dollars total. In the short term, building a PC is a big investment and more expensive than buying a console. In the long run, you will save a lot of money on games, to where by the end of a generation, it probably evens itself out to the two platforms being pretty equal in price, with PC having better visuals.

All that said, there are disadvantages to PC as well. More hackers online. NONE of my friends play PC games online, everyone has the same specs on consoles, so online games are more fair and balanced, you don't get good games like GTA until months after console gamers get them, and some games like The Last of Us, Halo, RDR, you don't get at all. Best way to go IMO is owning a PC and one console. Last gen I had PS3, 360, and PC. This gen I may only go PC and either X1 or PS4. Haven't made my mind up on which console yet. Naughty Dog, price, and power make PS4 enticing, but Xbox One's controller, XBL, and Halo make X1 enticing as well.
---
i5 2500k @ 4.4GHz || 212 EVO || GTX 560 Ti || Vengeance 16GB RAM || 1TB HDD || ASRock Z68 E3G3 MB || Corsair TX750 PSU || 12X BD-ROM || Win7 x86
#6Nerreltron9000Posted 10/30/2013 7:39:20 PM
VioletZer0 posted...
By modern I mean high end products made this year.

Not a chance. Lower-mid level cards from last year are soundly more powerful than the PS4/One GPUs.

If anything, PS4 and One are competitive with lower mid-level PCs, but even that's a struggle.
#7straymatterPosted 10/30/2013 7:48:23 PM(edited)
It should be a lot more powerful but they are having major problems with these consoles, the XB1 is complex, hard to judge from GPU CPU and RAM sizes, but if you believe John Carmack he claims that consoles should perform their weight of PC close to four times as powerful, That is the benefit of the SoC design, with multiple processors, shared resources, and the fast transfer rates, which we will see similar design in PC in 2015.
#8Metallica_34Posted 10/30/2013 7:44:12 PM
Somebody said it well "modern pc like one you could buy at walmart." A custom built gaming rig runs circles around the new consoles.
#9xJehodxPosted 10/30/2013 7:44:18 PM
The Xbone doesn't even deserve to stand in the shadow of current PCs.
---
"Sa souvraya niende misain ye."
3DS FC- 4339-2579-1658