Up scaling to 1080p

#1HINESEYPosted 10/31/2013 6:29:36 AM
There are a lot of people that are misinformed and clearly don't know what there talking about. 720p up up scaled to 1080p is clearer and sharper than 720p. I own a 46F8000 and w905a I know what I'm talking about. There's no point in up scaling if it makes it worse from developers point of view , for gaming this does provide a crispier image you can even tell by checking fonts. However its not as good as native 1080p. With a good Tv you can tell the difference tbh most people won't unless your heavy into your electronics like I am with Tvs.

What I can't understand is everybody hates COD apparently so why would people even care if it was 480p. look at the ps3 at launch difficult to program for led to similar issues does not mean it stays like that for ever or are launch games and indication of power with such new tech. The problem is people seem more bothered about what a ps4 is doing as if both were 720p there wouldn't be the outrage.

People need to stand by there choices no Two tv are the same goes for games consoles, no one forced you to buy Xbox or ps4 , if the games where your main choice then why spend so much time looking over the fence at the other console. Too many insecure gamers that spend more time arguing than either looking forward to there new consoles or playing games and that's pathetic.
---
Congratulations ............. You've just been I-Conned!
#2FaytalChaosPosted 10/31/2013 8:40:31 AM
It's cause fans are trying to find the min/max difference. To me it doesnt matter. I'm one of the lucky ones to be getting both on release and to be honest my library will be split between the two. You're right in saying that 720 upscaled to 1080 is better than 720, although not better than 1080p native. That's what people are arguing about. No matter how miniscule the difference is.

Just as a side note it is gonna be REALLY interesting when we have a game that is 720 native on both systems upscaled to 1080p. Since Xbox seems to be quite a bit better at upscaling than ps4. Specially with having a chip dedicated to it
#3Exodus_PrimePosted 10/31/2013 8:46:37 AM
Great post TC, I believe you are the first "Ancient" user I've seen not bash the Xbox One blindly. I agree about just enjoy your console of choice, the same thing happened to PS3 most of their games were 720p even Uncharted and that had awesome graphics.
---
Xbox One and PlayStation 4
Because I can buy both.
#4MrSpaM111Posted 10/31/2013 8:49:51 AM
Upscaling does not improve picture quality, it deteriorates it
---
"Exactly correct TC..."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628
#5EciDemonPosted 10/31/2013 9:11:33 AM
HINESEY posted...
There are a lot of people that are misinformed and clearly don't know what there talking about. 720p up up scaled to 1080p is clearer and sharper than 720p. I own a 46F8000 and w905a I know what I'm talking about.

Indeed there's lots of misinformed people...

Any idiot who ever upscaled a photo/image knows quite well they neither get clearer or sharper.

Second, if you have a native 1080p display and up scale 720p you will not get perfect pixel alignment so you get worse quality vs a native 720p display. You can clearly see this in games today that do not use any kind of anti aliasing, but even that is no perfect solution so you still get artifacts since the two resolutions is not divisible.
---
| Gigabyte GTX 680 Winforce 3 OC | i7 2600K @4.6Ghz |
| Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | X-Fi Titanium champion |
#6HINESEY(Topic Creator)Posted 11/1/2013 7:01:23 AM
EciDemon posted...
HINESEY posted...
There are a lot of people that are misinformed and clearly don't know what there talking about. 720p up up scaled to 1080p is clearer and sharper than 720p. I own a 46F8000 and w905a I know what I'm talking about.

Indeed there's lots of misinformed people...

Any idiot who ever upscaled a photo/image knows quite well they neither get clearer or sharper.

Second, if you have a native 1080p display and up scale 720p you will not get perfect pixel alignment so you get worse quality vs a native 720p display. You can clearly see this in games today that do not use any kind of anti aliasing, but even that is no perfect solution so you still get artifacts since the two resolutions is not divisible.

Well for one where not talking about photos and two you obviously having got the right tv to see the difference,
---
Congratulations ............. You've just been I-Conned!
#7InjusticeRebornPosted 11/1/2013 7:07:07 AM
Okay, here's a question for your resolution tech heads:

If I had a source image at 1080p native, but only have a TV that can manage 1080i, would it prioritize 720p? And what would happen to that image?
#8adonfrazPosted 11/1/2013 7:14:30 AM
Exodus_Prime posted...
Great post TC, I believe you are the first "Ancient" user I've seen not bash the Xbox One blindly. I agree about just enjoy your console of choice, the same thing happened to PS3 most of their games were 720p even Uncharted and that had awesome graphics.

I'm a "Sage" and I'm getting a Xbox One. Both consoles will be very successful but both consoles are weaker than high-end PCs, although they'll be better optimized. The secondary features of the Kinect, snapping apps, and social networking look good to me.
---
XBL GT: Loyal Catalyst
PSN ID: Loyal_Catalyst 3DS FC: (Loyal) 0533-4535-6191
#9DamnEvilDogPosted 11/1/2013 7:24:05 AM
I think what bothers me the most about these new gen is these causals who are more worried about numbers then games.

Another thing that comes in second is all of a sudden out of no where all games have to be 1080p/60fps or it's not "next gen" this is NOT high end PC gaming here, it is Xbox One and PS4 you really want those numbers so badly you should probably switch to PC.
#10InjusticeRebornPosted 11/1/2013 7:33:02 AM
DamnEvilDog posted...
I think what bothers me the most about these new gen is these causals who are more worried about numbers then games.

Another thing that comes in second is all of a sudden out of no where all games have to be 1080p/60fps or it's not "next gen" this is NOT high end PC gaming here, it is Xbox One and PS4 you really want those numbers so badly you should probably switch to PC.

I asked this in another thread: how come I didn't get the memo that one of next-gen's requirements is that native 1080p on every game?

I'm not defending what has been revealed over the last few days. The news has me sitting firmly on the fence, but whenever I think of a move from current to next-gen consoles and it's games, I automatically assume better visuals, and bigger worlds, with new ways to play.

Both consoles, at the moment, have got 2 out of those 3.