Microsoft - We don't need first party studios

#1MilesTeg420Posted 10/31/2013 8:36:38 AM
http://www.oxm.co.uk/65227/you-dont-need-to-own-studios-to-make-great-games-argues-xbox-one-boss/

Buying up developers willy-nilly to ensure the largest possible headcount doesn't equate to having a great exclusive line-up, Microsoft Studios boss Phil Spencer has claimed, pointing to Microsoft's productive partnership with Epic as evidence that partnering with third party publishers is no less valid a tactic.

"I think to some out there there's a fixation with which studios you own, which studios you work with, and for better or worse I'm not fixated on that," he told IGN as part of the latter's Podcast Unlocked.

"I lived through the Xbox 360 generation and we had a great relationship with Epic, and we built Gears of War, and really that franchise was born on the Xbox 360 and hit incredible heights on the Xbox 360. And whether we owned Epic or simply worked with Epic was not part of the conversation [about whether] that game was going to be great."

"Certain people will look at how many Microsoft-badged employees do you have versus Sony-badged employees, and when they start to weigh the different first parties," he continued. "And I know there are some people that want to own their own studio, be independent, drive their business, and go completely their own way, keep their own culture.

"And I respect that - if people want to work that way, we'll continue to work with them. I don't see it as a barrier to what we can do together. Whether it's Remedy, whether it's Insomniac, whether it's Crytek. So the relationship with Respawn? Obviously they have a publisher, EA, for their game, but it's a strong relationship and we feel great about what they're bringing to Xbox."
#2BadLuckIncPosted 10/31/2013 8:40:00 AM
Gaming is about the Games - Consoles are about what Games and Features they bring to their consumers. I like this guy.
---
Xbox One Day 1 edition Pre-Ordered via Amazon~ Arrival Date Nov 22nd!
Xbox GT: Bad Luck Ink ~]=|~ Wii U NNID: BadLuckInk
#3Skynet82997Posted 10/31/2013 8:40:58 AM
Yea - I don't necessarily think that either Sony or MS has to outright own a particular studio to forge a great partnership and release a killer game.
---
XBL Gamertag - SkyNett / PSN ID - SkyeNett / Clan - TheSynndicate
#4Kosmo240985Posted 10/31/2013 8:43:05 AM
there's also an article floating around that he said he basically has a blank check from higher ups to buy whatever studio he wants if he chooses.

MS has over 50 billion in the bank...in cash....they can literally buy sony right now if they wanted to.
---
GT: Kozzie85
#5JohnHalo343Posted 10/31/2013 8:44:34 AM
Kosmo240985 posted...
there's also an article floating around that he said he basically has a blank check from higher ups to buy whatever studio he wants if he chooses.

MS has over 50 billion in the bank...in cash....they can literally buy sony right now if they wanted to.

It wouldn't be that simple.
---
Official Voice of the Xbox One Community
#6method115Posted 10/31/2013 8:45:00 AM
Sure you don't need first party studios. The problem is it worked out great for PS3 and I own a 360 but anyone denying ps3 had a great run at the end (to late if you ask me but better than never).
#7ManInGorillaSutPosted 10/31/2013 8:45:55 AM
Kosmo240985 posted...

All this money, and they're still getting their ass handed to them by a company that had to sell its headquarters just to avoid bankruptcy.

Pathetic...
---
Give me Banana!
PSN ID; EL_BOMBASTICO
#8Skynet82997Posted 10/31/2013 8:46:32 AM(edited)
Kosmo240985 posted...

Yea I saw that yesterday. He also said something like it really costs the same thing whether MS owns the studio or not.

Suggesting there's not much of an advantage to owning rather than just partnering with whatever development house.
---
XBL Gamertag - SkyNett / PSN ID - SkyeNett / Clan - TheSynndicate
#9Hi CPosted 10/31/2013 8:50:01 AM
Kosmo240985 posted...

Console board
+
Person that doesn't know what they are talking about
=
PBn'J.
---
You'll be my John G.
#10Kosmo240985Posted 10/31/2013 8:50:07 AM
ManInGorillaSut posted...
Kosmo240985 posted...

All this money, and they're still getting their ass handed to them by a company that had to sell its headquarters just to avoid bankruptcy.

Pathetic...

@ Johnhalo I know it's not that simple and even if sony would go bankrupt it wouldn't happen. i just pointed out that sony's total worth is lower than cash on hand for MS.

and at gorilla suit...they arn't getting their ass handed. ps4 may be the last stray for sony, if ps4 produces no profit like the ps3 did they are shutting down most likely. That wont happen hopefully, but based on preorders for games ps4 wont outsell x1 as much as you think
---
GT: Kozzie85