If resolution does not matter...

#31x1STP_KLOSRxPosted 10/31/2013 8:52:39 AM
LICKWIDPAlN posted...
x1STP_KLOSRx posted...
LICKWIDPAlN posted...
x1STP_KLOSRx posted...
LICKWIDPAlN posted...
I shoot in 4K, I ment.

I also question the numbers a phone company throes out. I had a Note II before I got a Droid Maxx and that 1080p recorder wasn't that great. I know there's more go it than resolution but numbers are all there to make it look good. Yes, facts can be proven with those numbers but it always seems to overshoot. Hope you're enjoying the Note 3. :)

The device is incredible. Go to any phone store that has it and shoot in 4K. Tell me that is not insane looking

My friend has a Note 3 so I'll have to try it out. I wanted that over a Droid Maxx but I wanted the huge battery so I sacrificed a bit. No regrets but when the Note 4 comes out I will most likely jump ship. I just wish Samsung would stop using Touchwiz. Motorola, now owned by Google, uses nothing but Vanilla Android so its real nice.

I really had no idea the Note 3 output 4K video before you mentioned it.

Touchwiz is not as obnoxiously bloated as it used to be and frankly it kills AOSP Android (stock android) As far as features go. I still love AOSP tho.
I root and hack the mess outta phones tho so let me know if have any questions.

I sent you a PM so we don't keep destroying this thread. :D

And yeah some people like the additions of TouchWiz. Rooted its definitely better but stock there is noticeable lag.
#32TreGoodaPosted 10/31/2013 8:58:58 AM
xeltar2600 posted...
TreGooda posted...
xeltar2600 posted...
Personally, I don't believe that the 1080p vs 720p argument is all about the visual fidelity of *this* game; it's more of an indication of the near future. If a fairly crappy looking game is already stressing the One to the point that achieving 60fps necessitates downgrading the resolution to 720p, and its direct (and cheaper) competitor is achieving 1080p with the same requirement, then you have to wonder what differences future, better looking, titles will have.

In addition, since they have hit the maximum resolution on the PS4, one must ask how much further they *could* have gone while maintaining acceptable frame rates. If the One just barely got to 720p while being acceptable, but the PS4 easily achieves acceptable frame rates, then that is even more of an indication of what future titles will have to sacrifice.

It's not this game, and its graphical fidelity, that you should worry about; it's what an actual decent looking game will look like 4 months down the line. Once a game puts PS4 down to 720p due to acceptable frame rate issues, let's see what the One looks like on the same game. *That* will be an interesting comparison.

I can understand how someone that doesn't know anything about computers or game development could have this opinion. It doesn't make it any more valid though.

Aside from assuming that the 32MB ESRAM can't be utilized properly at higher resolutions, and thus getting a sharp performance increase at 720p and lower, I fail to see the obvious flaw in my argument. What about the architecture would kill my argument, especially considering the mostly apples-to-apples comparison between the two CPU/GPU architectures?

Too much to list.

Game development time
stress testing hardware
the actual functions of cloud
utilizing pixels
etc.

An easy way for you to understand this. Go get a sports game like NBA2k6 (pop it into a 360) and compare it to NBA 2k14.

They haven't even scratched the surface of the PS4 or XBOX One yet.
---
"Get a life! What? I'm a gamer, I have tons of lives."
#33kingofjamaicaPosted 10/31/2013 9:01:20 AM
x1STP_KLOSRx posted...
kingofjamaica posted...
x1STP_KLOSRx posted...
Resolution matters to a certain degree but for most people going from 720p to 1080p is negligible at best. Most people won't even notice it due to their television being under 50" and others won't care. Why does everyone make this out to be a sign of doom? Its not and this is coming from a technology junkie.

I have a 32" HDTV that I sit about 8' from, and there's a significant difference between native 1280x720 and native 1920x1080.

Don't be fooled by the television telling you its higher. I have great vision and a great eye for detail. I use a 46" Samsung LED and while I actually look for differences its subtle. Will it be there? Sure, slightly but not much. Not enough for a television under 50" for people to act as if its like the difference between night and day.

*I have Xbox One ordered for day one and passed on PS4 until they get a new Gran Turismo or Naughty Dog game. I have played PC games on Ultra (Battlefield 3 and the beta for 4) and seen 1080p in its true form. Yes. Its sharper but what I'm saying is its really negligible. You don't have a big enough display below 50" for the extra pixel count go really matter.

Don't be fooled that my eyes and brain can clearly notice the difference between 720p and 1080p on my HDTV? And yes, it really is a night and day difference.
---
At some point, you're going to have to talk to a tree and do what it says. - Arbor Day Rule, Grand List of RPG Cliches.
#34MetroidFan9999Posted 10/31/2013 9:05:27 AM
Resolution matters up to the point where you can't tell an enemy from a tree. At that point people complain. They may complain here.
---
Xbox One = Xbone = Crossbone = Jolly Roger.
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/mind_blown.gif
#35x1STP_KLOSRxPosted 10/31/2013 9:09:30 AM
kingofjamaica posted...
x1STP_KLOSRx posted...
kingofjamaica posted...
x1STP_KLOSRx posted...
Resolution matters to a certain degree but for most people going from 720p to 1080p is negligible at best. Most people won't even notice it due to their television being under 50" and others won't care. Why does everyone make this out to be a sign of doom? Its not and this is coming from a technology junkie.

I have a 32" HDTV that I sit about 8' from, and there's a significant difference between native 1280x720 and native 1920x1080.

Don't be fooled by the television telling you its higher. I have great vision and a great eye for detail. I use a 46" Samsung LED and while I actually look for differences its subtle. Will it be there? Sure, slightly but not much. Not enough for a television under 50" for people to act as if its like the difference between night and day.

*I have Xbox One ordered for day one and passed on PS4 until they get a new Gran Turismo or Naughty Dog game. I have played PC games on Ultra (Battlefield 3 and the beta for 4) and seen 1080p in its true form. Yes. Its sharper but what I'm saying is its really negligible. You don't have a big enough display below 50" for the extra pixel count go really matter.

Don't be fooled that my eyes and brain can clearly notice the difference between 720p and 1080p on my HDTV? And yes, it really is a night and day difference.

More power to you then whether that's a good thing or bad thing. I'm not going to act like I know what you see. I'm just stating the general knowledge and information available and also what I've noticed. You may see a sharpness increase which no one can argue but I PERSONALLY can't say its night and day. I've met people who can't tell the difference at all, those that can a little bit and those that SWEAR they see a huge difference. No one can prove you otherwise.
#36plus1zeroPosted 10/31/2013 9:12:50 AM
x1STP_KLOSRx posted...

Lol...spoken from someone who has never seen the difference in 720p to 1080p.

Trust me, there is a big difference.

Not even that, this is next generation hardware. These current consoles have been out almost a decade now and did 720p then. The WII U can do 1080p..for MS to have the trouble they've had then not even introduce 1080p on a port of a current gen game? Lol
#37Evel138Posted 10/31/2013 9:15:51 AM
If resolution mattered, then the moronic fanboys out there would recognize that the XB1 has games in 1080p.

But that's not what matters to these dip ****....you know.....I know it.....they know it.

Beside, this is the first couple of years in development for these system. A time when the devs are just learning to optimize for each. We really haven't seen any comparisons other than BF4 and its OMG higher resolution on the PS4 resulted in....well, not that much of a god damn difference tbqh.
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Lucky Number
http://fav.me/d6gbf9y
#38Styrof0amPosted 10/31/2013 9:18:39 AM
Pitfall on Atari 2600 is still an all time I great (and a groundbreaking game), I still love playing. Not a week goes by, where I don't boot up MAME. Psikyo has made some amazing shmups, but the most fun is perfecting my scores in games like Mappy and Son Son (argubly the best game to ever come out of Capcom).

Of course my biggest gaming love is Dreamcast, and not for it's ability to output VGA, but for it's numerous innnovations and focus on great gameplay (thank you NAOMI).

So in short TC, to me resolution only matters in that I need an output on a screen when gaming. It has no impact on gameplay at all.
#39plus1zeroPosted 10/31/2013 9:19:25 AM
And for those wondering it's not just a little sharper.

Look at a 720p scaled Blu-Ray next to a 1080p Blu-Ray. There is no comparison, it looks THAT much better.

On a 720p scaled image on a 1080p tv, you really aren't going to notice a difference if you don't have a 1080p image to begin with. That's what this gen is.

For a 720p image to be blown up on a screen that is 1080p you're taking a smaller image and putting it to fit an image. With a full 1080p signal that image fits perfectly with no scaling at all, thus no loss in picture quality.

Good grief, I had all 3 this gen but won't next. If I found out the PS4 had inferior quality in both hardware and software I'd be a little mad, I couldn't defend them.
#40x1STP_KLOSRxPosted 10/31/2013 9:19:30 AM
plus1zero posted...
x1STP_KLOSRx posted...

Lol...spoken from someone who has never seen the difference in 720p to 1080p.

Trust me, there is a big difference.

Not even that, this is next generation hardware. These current consoles have been out almost a decade now and did 720p then. The WII U can do 1080p..for MS to have the trouble they've had then not even introduce 1080p on a port of a current gen game? Lol

I've never seen the difference? Really? I've never seen a Blu-Ray movie or played Battlefield in 1080p on my PC? I have played Battlefield 3 on Ultra and seen what 1080p is capable of doing. My hardware can handle it all while keeping it above 60 FPS.

I don't think this issue is all on Microsoft other than a late Dev kit. And stop with the Wii U version already. From what I've read it's a higher resolution current gen game and not the next gen game.