If resolution does not matter...

#51sa2bmasterPosted 10/31/2013 11:52:31 AM
I think most people are mad because they don't want to pay for another console if if can mostly just do 720p, which 360 and PS3 already do. What they don't understand is that 720p/60fps with AA, more polygons and better textures makes a game look much better, and I think both in a year or 2 will accomplish amazing looking games in 1080p/60fps with all that stuff.

After that time frame has passed I believe devs will be doing the same thing they did before and take away that 60fps and AA to try to make the graphics seem better, which shouldn't be needed for X1 and PS4, as the graphics will be good enough. Maybe they'll change and figure out the graphics are at the point that they can finally start focusing on making great gameplay and story, since they don't have to spend a majority of time trying to make graphics better and better every single year.
#52DarthVashtiPosted 10/31/2013 12:10:37 PM
When I see a game at 30 fps and then at 60 fps and see no difference between the two then what makes you think I will see a difference between 720p and 1080p?
#53DamnEvilDogPosted 10/31/2013 12:14:49 PM
x1STP_KLOSRx posted...
Resolution matters to a certain degree but for most people going from 720p to 1080p is negligible at best. Most people won't even notice it due to their television being under 50" and others won't care. Why does everyone make this out to be a sign of doom? Its not and this is coming from a technology junkie.

You have been quoted a lot because what you say is true, some will argue there is a HUGE difference, there isn't as much as they claim.

What these casual non gamer number fanboys keep glossing over is the fact that even if a game is at 720p it is still massively better then the previous gen because of all the effects that the new console can do.

I don't care what the PS4 can do, I am going to Xbox One as an upgrade from the Xbox 360 and I will enjoy my games there. end of story
#54drclaeysPosted 10/31/2013 12:35:59 PM
Friends,

Do you remember "If you build it, they will come". yep, its the same here. its GREAT GAMES!!!!

I am playing some really old clunky games right now. Two worlds. Before that, Tales of Vesperia. IM not not sure of the res but I had fun. Why, because of the GAMES!!!

go into gamestop. there are 50% more 360 games then ps3. Games are why I buy a console. Games are what matters.

The rest is just BS, because we can not play GAMES!!!!!

if you build it, they will come. Thank you for sharing.
---
Dr. Darrell of Michigan
Got a Xbox a few days ago, Now playing: Tales of Vesperia. . . . . . . . . US Economy lost 24 Billion, Blame the Republicans.
#55AngelWithaHatPosted 10/31/2013 12:38:10 PM
It doesn't matter because xbox is the one affected.
IF they PS4 had worse resolution that the xbox it would matter.
#56x1STP_KLOSRxPosted 10/31/2013 12:41:05 PM
reincarnator07 posted...
The difference between 720p and 1080p is clear as night and day on my 32" TV, my iPad and my HTC One. My vision is terrible. If it doesn't bother you, fair enough, people have different preferences and desires from their games and media. There is certainly a noticeable difference.

For what its worth resolution on phones and tablets isn't always the determining factor. It also depends on what display technology is being used such as AMOLED, LCD (I think the One has this) and Pentile. Pentile is clearly the worst and clarity suffers due to pixel layout. AMOLED is nice but some display black splotches on dark backgrounds. LCD is the best of those 3. There are other techs available but I'm just about to leave work so limited in time.
#57Abiz_Posted 10/31/2013 2:05:20 PM
strawberry11 posted...
so, PS4 will look noticeably better on a 50" screen or bigger?

Yes, and lower. Consoles weren't even truly 720p last generation. There is a reason PC gamers go for monitors that are higher resolution then 1080p because it's one of the settings that makes the biggest difference for graphics. If all you have to go by is 360 or ps3 graphics for HD. You shouldn't be jumping into the this with a opinion. You have no true experience.
---
Interestingly enough, video game companies used to be able to make money without selling out like cheap prostitutes.-KaiserWarrior
#58LICKWIDPAlN(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2013 2:08:39 PM
x1STP_KLOSRx posted...
reincarnator07 posted...
The difference between 720p and 1080p is clear as night and day on my 32" TV, my iPad and my HTC One. My vision is terrible. If it doesn't bother you, fair enough, people have different preferences and desires from their games and media. There is certainly a noticeable difference.

For what its worth resolution on phones and tablets isn't always the determining factor. It also depends on what display technology is being used such as AMOLED, LCD (I think the One has this) and Pentile. Pentile is clearly the worst and clarity suffers due to pixel layout. AMOLED is nice but some display black splotches on dark backgrounds. LCD is the best of those 3. There are other techs available but I'm just about to leave work so limited in time.

LTD is the best of the 3? The lack of blacks on LCD phones and TVs look at you.

AMOLED is superior in almost every way. Manufacturers get a hit carried away on the color saturation but when calibrated correctly it looks world's better and is far more accurate.
---
PS3 / Vita / 2600K@4.7Ghz water cooled by Corsair H80, Dual GTX580s in SLi, 8 Gigs Corsair RAM, 120Hz screen. Vsync? I don't need no Vsync! PSN: Liquidpain
#59kyncaniPosted 10/31/2013 2:09:18 PM
drclaeys posted...
Friends,

Do you remember "If you build it, they will come". yep, its the same here. its GREAT GAMES!!!!

I am playing some really old clunky games right now. Two worlds. Before that, Tales of Vesperia. IM not not sure of the res but I had fun. Why, because of the GAMES!!!

go into gamestop. there are 50% more 360 games then ps3. Games are why I buy a console. Games are what matters.

The rest is just BS, because we can not play GAMES!!!!!

if you build it, they will come. Thank you for sharing.

You're missing the point.

It's a friendly console war.

I myself think the Xbox One will be discontinued.
I hope it will be discontinued soon so that the Steam Box can take its place already.

But it doesn't matter, we're all just playing video games and it really doesn't matter.
#60CyborgTwentyPosted 11/3/2013 11:24:01 AM
Resolution only mattered as long as Xbox did it better.