For those who care: Digital Foundry re-caps "resolution-gate"(Hardware analysis)

#1Ramsus082Posted 10/31/2013 6:14:48 PM
Disclaimer: The following is commentary on the state of multiplatform games between the X1 and the PS4, and overall thoughts on their hardware architecture and how it relates. Hit the "BACK" button on your browser now if you're not interested.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-resolutiongate-the-fallout

The whole thing is an interesting read, but some noteworthy highlights:

"While Digital Foundry has yet to see either next-gen version of Call of Duty, our experience with Battlefield 4 demonstrates that you can easily see the visual difference between them. The Xbox One version holds up well given the gulf in resolution, but it doesn't require a pixel counter to tell that the PS4 game is crisper and cleaner either. "

"The reality for Microsoft is that the raw spec differential it has battled against is not only borne out in what is arguably the most technologically advanced multi-platform game of the next-gen launch, but the gulf actually increases on a title that, on the face of it, isn't pushing boundaries to anything like the same degree. Mark Rubin has previously suggested that there is no new Infinity Ward engine for the cross-generational Ghosts - rather that the studio has continued to build upon the existing tech. The situation is interesting in that we have a piece of technology that almost always favoured Microsoft's current-generation hardware now performing in a vastly superior manner on the competing platform in the next-gen era. It's a stunning turnaround.

"So, will things continue to look grim for Xbox One multi-platform games in the launch period? On the one hand, if studios like DICE and Infinity Ward - where resources are vast - are having problems, the prognosis can't look good in the short term. What hasn't helped Microsoft's cause is that both of the key titles where we have known metrics are pushing 60 frames per second - the bleeding edge of performance on console, which rarely works out kindly where one platform has weaker GPU performance, as many of the current-gen Call of Duty titles demonstrate. "

All things being equal, a 30fps cap perhaps working in combination with a drop to 900p on Xbox One sounds like a viable approach, providing a level of platform parity closer to the situation we see on current-gen consoles. And indeed, there's much talk now from execs about games on Xbox One "looking great" without referencing image quality or native resolution directly.
---
Band I'm listening to - "Song I'm listening to"
#2NeoAndurilPosted 10/31/2013 6:17:20 PM
I think as time goes on ps4 exclusives will really show the difference in hardware. Multiplats may move more towards a center point between the two consoles. But as it stands now, PS4 multiplats look better. A lot better. It makes me wonder if ms ever considered gaming a priority at all for the xb1.
---
http://i.imgur.com/6RcJTNv.png
#3FOXSOLIDPosted 10/31/2013 6:22:45 PM
NeoAnduril posted...
I think as time goes on ps4 exclusives will really show the difference in hardware. Multiplats may move more towards a center point between the two consoles. But as it stands now, PS4 multiplats look better. A lot better. It makes me wonder if ms ever considered gaming a priority at all for the xb1.

The Order ALONE blows away any XB1 game out of the water in terms of graphics.

Killzone Shadow Fall and Infamous Second Son are also much more graphically impressive.

IGN recently posted a video stating that KZ was beautiful and challenging.
#4Troll_DirectoryPosted 10/31/2013 6:25:41 PM
NeoAnduril posted...
yeah, multiplats always seem to move toward each other each generation, when there's lots of 3rd party interest. i wonder if next year's cod will feel like a next-gen game, or will we have to wait for both treyarch and iw to take a mulligan before they take full advantage of ps4 and xo.
#5NeoAndurilPosted 10/31/2013 6:27:37 PM
Troll_Directory posted...
yeah, multiplats always seem to move toward each other each generation, when there's lots of 3rd party interest. i wonder if next year's cod will feel like a next-gen game, or will we have to wait for both treyarch and iw to take a mulligan before they take full advantage of ps4 and xo.

If they insist on yearly releases I wouldn't count on it looking great on either console. Takes too long to develop an engine that takes full advantage of specific hardware sets.
---
#6Ramsus082(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2013 6:30:53 PM
What I'm wondering is, if Infinity Ward has all these resources then why are they using a current-gen engine for their games? Just because CoD sells no matter what and they can get away with it? Lame.
---
Band I'm listening to - "Song I'm listening to"
#7NeoAndurilPosted 10/31/2013 6:45:15 PM
Ramsus082 posted...
What I'm wondering is, if Infinity Ward has all these resources then why are they using a current-gen engine for their games? Just because CoD sells no matter what and they can get away with it? Lame.

Bobby Kotick needs a fourth yacht. the first 3 got wet.
---
#8Council_of_RagePosted 10/31/2013 6:48:30 PM
FOXSOLID posted...

There hasn't been any footage of The Order yet. Just pre-rendered trailers.
---
YOU DIED
However, the Nexus traps you. You shall remain in this world a soul forever.
#9Masterchief5525Posted 10/31/2013 6:55:28 PM
FOXSOLID posted...
NeoAnduril posted...

Killzone Shadow Fall and Infamous Second Son are also much more graphically impressive.

IGN recently posted a video stating that KZ was beautiful and challenging.

After that first sentence I'm dismissing everything you have to say because all we saw from the order has been cinematics which are never equivalent to actual game play.
#10mike468Posted 10/31/2013 6:57:41 PM
I really don't think it's GPU that is holding it back.

Here are the tech specs for the GPU:

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2086/xbox-one-gpu.html

The way I see it, it's the fact the XBO is running 2 separate OS's to multi-task and do everything else besides games.

Maybe MS is a little to ambitious with the system and the esRam is holding it back. I'm not saying it is, as I don't know much about computer hardware/architecture, but if the system doesn't have enough ram/resources to run all games at 1080p 60fps, all while doing everything else MS wants it to do. Then they obviously should have bumped the ram.

Also I just came across this:

http://www.dailytech.com/Microsoft+Claims+Xbox+One+Can+Make+Due+With+Faster+GPU+Less+Compute+Units/article33506.htm

MS is demanding 2X anti-aliazing on all titles.
---
The Official Thunder Of The Killer Instinct Board