Will there ever be sub-HD (below 720p) games on Xbone?

#1GalvatronType_RPosted 11/1/2013 9:01:53 AM
Will there ever be sub-HD (below 720p) games on Xbone? - Results (68 votes)
Yes
58.82% (40 votes)
No
41.18% (28 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Yes there will be below HD resolution games on the Xbone (and PS4 too). One thing I learned from current gen is that developers have gotten lazy and won't hesitate to take shortcuts.
#2benjimainPosted 11/1/2013 9:04:02 AM
It's possible. When devs get the learning curve of the PS4 even more grasped, and it displays even more graphical power houses, if the Xbox One wants to keep up in quality sacrifices have to be made somewhere, so it either cuts the resolution down, or matches resolution but has much, much lower texture quality, etc.

I think some will opt to try and get close to PS4 texture quality, but cut the resolution to 720p or worse.
#3EoinPosted 11/1/2013 9:17:26 AM
benjimain posted...
It's possible. When devs get the learning curve of the PS4 even more grasped, and it displays even more graphical power houses, if the Xbox One wants to keep up in quality sacrifices have to be made somewhere, so it either cuts the resolution down, or matches resolution but has much, much lower texture quality, etc.

I think some will opt to try and get close to PS4 texture quality, but cut the resolution to 720p or worse.

I think it'll be the other way around. I think that developers will plan their games around being 720p on Xbox One and then make improvements to the PS4 version, rather than planning for PS4 and downgrading for Xbox One. So we may see lots of 720p Xbox One games becoming 900p or 1080p on PS4, and 900p games on Xbox One becoming 1080p on PS4. Possibly other games might keep the same resolution across both consoles but have the Xbox One version at 30FPS and the PS4 version at 60FPS.

As a result, I don't think we'll be seeing too many sub-720p games on Xbox One. There will, however, probably be plenty of 720p games.
#4benjimainPosted 11/1/2013 9:18:37 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5benjimainPosted 11/1/2013 9:19:25 AM
Eoin posted...
I think it'll be the other way around. I think that developers will plan their games around being 720p on Xbox One and then make improvements to the PS4 version, rather than planning for PS4 and downgrading for Xbox One. So we may see lots of 720p Xbox One games becoming 900p or 1080p on PS4, and 900p games on Xbox One becoming 1080p on PS4. Possibly other games might keep the same resolution across both consoles but have the Xbox One version at 30FPS and the PS4 version at 60FPS.

As a result, I don't think we'll be seeing too many sub-720p games on Xbox One. There will, however, probably be plenty of 720p games.

But isn't it possible that it won't be the other way around if the PS4 leads in sales by a considerable margin?

Either way, the Xbox One situation isn't looking too good.
#6EoinPosted 11/1/2013 9:34:03 AM
benjimain posted...
But isn't it possible that it won't be the other way around if the PS4 leads in sales by a considerable margin?

We appear to have a fairly clear situation: the PS4 will run absolutely anything that the Xbox One can run. If it works on Xbox One, it is guaranteed to work on PS4 (with exceptions maybe for games that heavily use Kinect). Making a game and then downgrading it is a lot of work. The "make it run on Xbox One and then improve" development route will wind up being quicker and simpler (and cheaper) so - I think - it'll be very common unless the PS4 dominates. If that turns out to be the case, then some games being sub-720p would be a minor issue, with the bigger issue being games just skipping the Xbox One.
#7benjimainPosted 11/1/2013 9:44:04 AM
Ahh I see. Thanks for the insight, Eoin.
#8GalvatronType_R(Topic Creator)Posted 11/1/2013 11:17:34 AM
I think beyond resources, developers target the console with the larger install base and then port to the other console.

Since PS4 will have the larger base in the U.S., games will be designed for that platform.
#9GalvatronType_R(Topic Creator)Posted 11/1/2013 11:51:20 AM
Also, this is next gen, below HD is unacceptable. 720p, fine, but anything below that is an Obammernation.
#10Mr_HakubiPosted 11/4/2013 5:06:42 PM
Yeah I'm willing to bet there will be some developers that will prioritize 60FPS over HD rez and we could end up with some of those this gen. Can't wait to see what happens when MGS5 and FFVX hits. Xbox won't have it's space limitations but even on PS3 MGS4 was taxing at 720p and now they claim it's going open world? One of these systems are going to take a hit. And as talented as square is FFXIII ran at sub-HD on 360 as well. And it was really bad, something like 570p.
---
http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy301/MrHakubi/S3/45856a6f.png