Azure and Gaming - global outage

#21yay4pachirisuPosted 11/3/2013 1:15:17 PM
TheRealPhattyJ posted...

Well, Sony took their servers down for a month to fix a security breach. Azure broke. Big difference.

There's also a big difference in a company taking down their service in order to protect their customers, which they then followed by giving hundreds of dollars in free software and subscriptions to ps+, and a company who a)doesn't even tell their customers they've been breached and b)never does anything about it. Or do you still try to live with the wool over your eyes and think Live has never been breached?

You know i did say
also, people forget that XBL has been down. But PSN was at a greater extent.

Also, Sony hasn't initially warned people that their information might have been taken. It took them several days before posting to their website blog.

Yes, it sucks that Azure broke. But a security breach that already happened is alot worse.

And I'm pretty sure Microsoft doesn't "do anything" about situations like this.
---
http://i.imgur.com/NR1OD.png
#22AzaneAzerPosted 11/3/2013 1:21:19 PM
PSN going down wouldn't make single player games complete unplayable, like Azure going down when games are cloud reliant.

Games like Sim City 5 or Diablo 3 are 100% unplayable when the servers are down for their respective companies, with the trend going more and more towards this style of anti-consumer DRM, and the way Microsoft has liked the idea of making customers jump through 30 hoops to even play the games they've bought, it's not a far stretch to see this.

Think of the original DRM check from E3, but the servers are non-responsive for a long time.

GFWL is my favorite example, which had intermitten MONTHS of downtime, and made a section of my library unplayable, and it's why I'm very against the model, outside of pure online games, the internet and outside servers should never be put on as a requirement.

PSN servers going down for a month didn't make the Playstation 3 a brick, like it could do for the Xbox if they want to keep going with "CLOUD WILL MAKE UP THE 45% HARDWARE GAP" argument.
#23SabramPosted 11/3/2013 1:48:27 PM
Everyone that says Azure was down for 8 hours didnt read the article. Or if they did they didnt understand it.

"The problems emerged at 2.35AM UTC, and were still ongoing as of 10.20PM UTC the same day, according to the company's service dashboard."

That's 2:30 AM to 10:30 PM approx. AM TO PM! That means they were down for 20 hours, not eight. And as of that 10:20 PM listed time, the problems were STILL ONGOING.

I dont have anything else to add, but if you want to make an argument, at least READ the source.
---
Official Switch Lightsword & Bowshieldgun of the MH3U Board.
Gamertag: Sabram PSN: Sabram
#24DesperateMonkeyPosted 11/3/2013 2:02:46 PM
AzaneAzer posted...
PSN going down wouldn't make single player games complete unplayable, like Azure going down when games are cloud reliant.

Uh.... where were you months ago when XB1 was announced to not require online???
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#25ILikesCheesePosted 11/5/2013 12:59:39 PM
DesperateMonkey posted...
Not to mention Cheese is pretty crazy if he thinks these months have been better to PS4. The only thing that has gotten worse for XB1 is the trolling but that is a result of PS4 people going crazy everytime XB1 gets good news.

What on earth are you talking about ?!?

Make sure to sign out of whichever alt account you are on before you answer! :)
---
The Xbox One can only run most games in the 720P visual standard. Perhaps it should have been called the XBOX 720 after all.
:D
#26ILikesCheesePosted 11/5/2013 1:11:10 PM(edited)
yay4pachirisu posted...
go ahead. Tell me how "Sony's servers were down for a month" is not a counter-argument for "Microsoft's Azure were down for ... what 8 hours?"

First off, I wasn't comparing the two in that way. Secondly, the answer to your question is fairly obvious: If Azure goes down, it is quite possible that SINGLE player games on the Xbox One will be affected by this. Thirdly, the PS3 outage seems to be the only piece of candy you little munchkins can ever grab onto when comparing upsides and downsides between Sony and Microsoft. You all use it as some sort of magical ward for ANYTHING negative about Microsoft or the Xbox.

1) 1080 is Better than 720! ---> PSN was down for a month and a half.
2) PS4 is more powerful than Xbox One ----> PSN was down for a month and a half.
3) The Xbox One has DRM! ----> PSN was down for a month and a half.
4) Kinect 2.0 ----> PSN was down for a month and a half
5) $100 difference! ----> PSN was down for a month and a half.
6) Xbox Live down again ----> PSN was down for a month and a half.
7) Paywall ----> PSN was down for a month and a half
8) Less games, more TV ----> PSN was down for a month and a half

Etc, etc, ad nauseam.

Didn't you read the article? The article also said a day and a half, not 8 hours by the way. That was MY question: Was Xbox Live down for a whole day and a half last week?
---
The Xbox One can only run most games in the 720P visual standard. Perhaps it should have been called the XBOX 720 after all.
#27ExempliGratiaPosted 11/5/2013 1:04:29 PM
I rather something be down for a couple of hours than having to be shut down by a company because someone breached their servers. Either way this outage has not effected us as of yet. There will be outages from time to time( it's a given) but if it is anything like XBox Live it won't be down for long when the X1 arrives. Same thing goes for PSN. Sony will not make the mistake they made before with it this time.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag :ShottaSteveUrkel PSN: Hollaatmyfoot PSNvita: ExempliaGratia
#28Snake_Eyes_v2Posted 11/5/2013 1:10:43 PM
meh.
---
We were, of course, all ninjas
#29JusticeSwordPosted 11/5/2013 1:11:25 PM
Hey if the cloud goes down that may make some games that require its features unplayable, what do you think of that?
Yeah? Well PSN was down for a month!!!
Who said anything about psn? you dont even have a playstation, I was asking what you'd do if the MS cloud failed
*Looks blankly instead of conceding defeat*

"Instead of admitting our own consoles shortcomings, we'll bring up times were we won in the past, even though XBL got hacked a lot more times, & when sony were hacked, they kept it down purposely so they could improve the system but i'll just ignore the latter"

Thats what it feels like when you confront peoples statements with facts here.
---
PSN:TheDragonzord
>_> Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles HD remix please
#30ILikesCheesePosted 11/5/2013 1:11:49 PM
Snake_Eyes_v2 posted...
meh.

MEH. VERSION 2.0!
---