Eurogamer: "Xbox One Resolutiongate: the 720p fallout"

#1gameboybrycePosted 11/1/2013 1:03:12 PM
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-resolutiongate-the-fallout

Disclaimer: this article is written by known Microsoft asskisser Richard Leadbetter as he apparently is trying to regain some semblance of non-bias in his writing again.

"The biggest thing in terms of the number of compute units, that's been something that's been very easy to focus on. It's like, hey, let's count up the number of CUs, count up the gigaflops and declare the winner based on that. My take on it is that when you buy a graphics card, do you go by the specs or do you actually run some benchmarks? Firstly though, we don't have any games out. You can't see the games. When you see the games you'll be saying, 'What is the performance difference between them?' The games are the benchmarks." - Microsoft technical fellow, Andrew Goossen.

We couldn't agree more. Despite the myriad gaffes and U-turns, Microsoft always had the right to make the case for its technology and to address its critics in the face of overwhelming criticism of its hardware design decisions. However, in the final analysis, the games are clearly the benchmarks that matter - and in terms of multi-platform offerings, relative system capabilities are a key battleground that Microsoft chose to mire itself in, with damaging results.

While Digital Foundry has yet to see either next-gen version of Call of Duty, our experience with Battlefield 4 demonstrates that you can easily see the visual difference between them. The Xbox One version holds up well given the gulf in resolution, but it doesn't require a pixel counter to tell that the PS4 game is crisper and cleaner either.

But pixel counts aside, perhaps the most challenging issue Microsoft faces - and the same one faced by Sony across this generation - is of the more expensive console offering the sub-optimal experience in key titles. In the here and now, few game franchises are more important than Battlefield and Call of Duty. PlayStation 3's Blu-ray drive added significantly to the bill of materials back in 2006/2007, while the next-gen Xbox One comes with Kinect - an expensive addition that failed to gain traction with the core in the current generation. Looking forward to the next, Microsoft and third-party developers appear to be doing little to champion the capabilities of its successor, despite the sheer wealth of system resources dedicated to the technology.

We hear different stories about ESRAM from virtually every source we speak to, but two gripes are common. Firstly, the notion of operating between two memory pools for render targets is an additional pain that is not an issue on PlayStation 4's unified 8GB of GDDR5. Secondly - and perhaps most importantly - the most common compliant we hear is that developers really want more than 32MB for their high-bandwidth graphics work.

Tl;dr: Leadbetter is basically saying the X1 is in the same position as the PS3 was in last gen in that the X1 will normally have the worse looking multiplats and that there's a a very good chance that parity will never be achieved. Microsoft screwed itself with their choice of system architecture and now it's showing.

PS: For all the people who dislike GAF, Leadbetter includes a nod to them for basically being correct.
---
This board has become a haven for Sony trolls, you have no idea what it is like going to sleep each night punching your pillow furiously.~TrashBoat
LMAO
#2CyborgTwentyPosted 11/1/2013 1:32:46 PM
It keeps getting worse and worse, MS will probably try to get rid of the Xbox brand as fast as possible.
#3Skynet82997Posted 11/1/2013 1:35:11 PM
gameboybryce posted...
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-resolutiongate-the-fallout

Disclaimer: this article is written by known Microsoft asskisser Richard Leadbetter as he apparently is trying to regain some semblance of non-bias in his writing again.

"The biggest thing in terms of the number of compute units, that's been something that's been very easy to focus on. It's like, hey, let's count up the number of CUs, count up the gigaflops and declare the winner based on that. My take on it is that when you buy a graphics card, do you go by the specs or do you actually run some benchmarks? Firstly though, we don't have any games out. You can't see the games. When you see the games you'll be saying, 'What is the performance difference between them?' The games are the benchmarks." - Microsoft technical fellow, Andrew Goossen.

We couldn't agree more. Despite the myriad gaffes and U-turns, Microsoft always had the right to make the case for its technology and to address its critics in the face of overwhelming criticism of its hardware design decisions. However, in the final analysis, the games are clearly the benchmarks that matter - and in terms of multi-platform offerings, relative system capabilities are a key battleground that Microsoft chose to mire itself in, with damaging results.

While Digital Foundry has yet to see either next-gen version of Call of Duty, our experience with Battlefield 4 demonstrates that you can easily see the visual difference between them. The Xbox One version holds up well given the gulf in resolution, but it doesn't require a pixel counter to tell that the PS4 game is crisper and cleaner either.

But pixel counts aside, perhaps the most challenging issue Microsoft faces - and the same one faced by Sony across this generation - is of the more expensive console offering the sub-optimal experience in key titles. In the here and now, few game franchises are more important than Battlefield and Call of Duty. PlayStation 3's Blu-ray drive added significantly to the bill of materials back in 2006/2007, while the next-gen Xbox One comes with Kinect - an expensive addition that failed to gain traction with the core in the current generation. Looking forward to the next, Microsoft and third-party developers appear to be doing little to champion the capabilities of its successor, despite the sheer wealth of system resources dedicated to the technology.

We hear different stories about ESRAM from virtually every source we speak to, but two gripes are common. Firstly, the notion of operating between two memory pools for render targets is an additional pain that is not an issue on PlayStation 4's unified 8GB of GDDR5. Secondly - and perhaps most importantly - the most common compliant we hear is that developers really want more than 32MB for their high-bandwidth graphics work.

Tl;dr: Leadbetter is basically saying the X1 is in the same position as the PS3 was in last gen in that the X1 will normally have the worse looking multiplats and that there's a a very good chance that parity will never be achieved. Microsoft screwed itself with their choice of system architecture and now it's showing.

PS: For all the people who dislike GAF, Leadbetter includes a nod to them for basically being correct.

Yep - this has been posted about 5 times already today.....
---
XBL Gamertag - SkyNett / PSN ID - SkyeNett / Clan - TheSynndicate
#495_EclipsePosted 11/1/2013 1:45:17 PM
Skynet82997 posted...

First I seen it. Feel sorry for you blind fanboys though, glad I am able to look at things subjectively, and see that the better gamers platform is coming from the other side of the fence next gen.
---
Favorite game to date - Xenogears \/-/-/-/\
If you believe used games are the industries problem, then you sir or ma'am are a fool.
#5YuiSenpaiPosted 11/1/2013 1:46:20 PM
95_Eclipse posted...
Skynet82997 posted...

First I seen it. Feel sorry for you blind fanboys though, glad I am able to look at things subjectively, and see that the better gamers platform is coming from the other side of the fence next gen.

"I look at things subjectively"

"if you dont agree with me you are a blind fanboy"

yeah sure dude... subjectively...
#6Skynet82997Posted 11/1/2013 1:48:17 PM
95_Eclipse posted...
Skynet82997 posted...

Yea - save the fanboy crap. I'm getting both consoles.

Go lord your decision over someone else. I'll have a PS4 too, so despite your childish attempts to insinuate I'll be missing out, I won't.

I'll enjoy both, and the ability to play all the games I want across both platforms.

Enjoy your name calling and hate campaign against an inanimate object.
---
#7L4YER_CAKEPosted 11/1/2013 1:49:48 PM
ouch.

At least we're just talking rumors and speculation though. Let's not bury anyone before they're dead.

Ouch if true though. Xbox One is looking like it has a long road ahead of it.
---
Braid. Save the princess. Contemplate the world. Save yourself.
#895_EclipsePosted 11/1/2013 1:49:48 PM
YuiSenpai posted...
95_Eclipse posted...
Skynet82997 posted...

"I look at things subjectively"

"if you dont agree with me you are a blind fanboy"

yeah sure dude... subjectively...

Facts are facts. Being subjective doesn't mean you ignore facts. And almost every single fact out there points at the PS4 being the better console.

The only thing superior about the XBO is the Kinect vs Sony's camera. Everything else Sony wins in pretty much.

I think you just don't know what being subjective means.
---
If you believe used games are the industries problem, then you sir or ma'am are a fool.
#995_EclipsePosted 11/1/2013 1:51:42 PM(edited)
Skynet82997 posted...
95_Eclipse posted...
Skynet82997 posted...

Go lord your decision over someone else. I'll have a PS4 too, so despite your childish attempts to insinuate I'll be missing out, I won't.

I'll enjoy both, and the ability to play all the games I want across both platforms.

Aww did I hurt your tiny little feelings? lol.
---
#10Skynet82997Posted 11/1/2013 1:56:12 PM
95_Eclipse posted...
Skynet82997 posted...
95_Eclipse posted...
Skynet82997 posted...

Aww did I hurt your tiny little feelings? lol.

Can't read what you wrote 3 minutes ago? I'll spell it out then - "YOU blind fanboys".

Nice attempt to edit the rest of your post to take this out though.

"You must be lying since I didn't say "you" but "blind fanboys" epic guilty conscience lol.
---