Turns Out Xbox One Will Support DLNA and Audio CDs

#21SolisPosted 11/1/2013 4:34:05 PM
touyamizrahi posted...

Why are people so concerned with playing music on the XBOne? Home stereo system already does that without having to go through the XBOne, same with PC being hooked up to said system (and a PC will always hold more of anything than a console). I ask because when I play a game, I like to have all aspects of the game, as in the game soundtrack, voice acting if it's there (which it is in just about every game made today), every sound effect and ambient noise they added to the game for better immersion. If you claim to "Love this game for everything it has to offer" but are playing music from something completely different, then you don't really love it for everything.

I can think of two main reasons:

1. It allows you to load all of the music you want on a single unified device, so that if you ever go over to someone else's house for example or connect the console somewhere else, you don't need to bring along another device separately just to do something simple like play music.

2. It allows you to play both game audio and music together without it requiring some funky dual input mixing on a receiver, which may not even be possible on most of them (or any TVs directly, for that matter), and without requiring extra adapters.

I've had several situations where I've brought my PS3 over somewhere else and had music playing while we waited for people to arrive, and then once we got there I could load straight into a game for us to play. Much easier than having to bring along a music player, connect it separately to the TV, then switch inputs everytime we wanted to listen to music instead. Oh, and DLNA also allowed me to load videos directly on the PS3's harddrive, so we could freely switch between music, videos, and games on a single console without any external attachments and without having to have 3 different devices all connected to the same display. And at the time, the TV only had 1 available HDMI port, anyway.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#22touyamizrahiPosted 11/1/2013 6:12:08 PM
Solis posted...

I can think of two main reasons:

1. It allows you to load all of the music you want on a single unified device, so that if you ever go over to someone else's house for example or connect the console somewhere else, you don't need to bring along another device separately just to do something simple like play music.

2. It allows you to play both game audio and music together without it requiring some funky dual input mixing on a receiver, which may not even be possible on most of them (or any TVs directly, for that matter), and without requiring extra adapters.

I've had several situations where I've brought my PS3 over somewhere else and had music playing while we waited for people to arrive, and then once we got there I could load straight into a game for us to play. Much easier than having to bring along a music player, connect it separately to the TV, then switch inputs everytime we wanted to listen to music instead. Oh, and DLNA also allowed me to load videos directly on the PS3's harddrive, so we could freely switch between music, videos, and games on a single console without any external attachments and without having to have 3 different devices all connected to the same display. And at the time, the TV only had 1 available HDMI port, anyway.

Well, I've owned every system, and I already said that for streaming movies, it's a great feature, but for music...you make it sound like you're carrying around an entire home theater surround sound system. An ipod or cell phone will hold more than 24 hours of music, and I carry my phone with me EVERYWHERE except the shower (yes, it comes with me when I'm sitting on the toilet even...and it's beside my head when I'm asleep) and EVERYONE, minus some old people, pretty much have a cell phone, and cell phones can easily connect into anyone's home theater system or carry a portable speaker (it's what I do when I clean my house, it's small, but damn can it go loud), so playing music on a gaming console just doesn't feel like a selling feature. It has it's uses, but for a next gen console, that's not a selling point. It's been done on previous gens. It would be like them trying to say their console plays movies from DVD/Blu-ray is revolutionary/next-gen, and it's not. we have blu-ray players, we already have a console that plays blu-rays, pc's play them too.

I am a little curious how old the TV you were playing on was that only had 1 HDMI port though...mine's 3 years old and has 3. though the little 19 inch one that i put my kid's wii u on only has one and it's 2 years old. So either it's a small tv that you're cranking music out of (?) or it's a much older tv? Either way, I don't think saying a system plays music should be a selling point. EVERYTHING plays music with today's technology pretty much, I wouldn't be surprised if my microwave does honestly, it has almost as many buttons as my keyboard. Music should never be an issue for being able to listen to it, and to argue it is to pretty much argue which sidewalk is better to walk down on the same road. (or something just as stupid)

TL:DR - Music can be played on pretty much any and every electronic device, so it shouldn't be considered a selling point on any stationary console.
---
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/435687/ battlefield-4-xbox-one-vs-ps4-critics-claim-sonys-version-shines-brightest/
PS4 vs XBOne my joy since E3 <3
#23SolisPosted 11/1/2013 10:52:37 PM(edited)
touyamizrahi posted...
Well, I've owned every system, and I already said that for streaming movies, it's a great feature, but for music...you make it sound like you're carrying around an entire home theater surround sound system. An ipod or cell phone will hold more than 24 hours of music, and I carry my phone with me EVERYWHERE except the shower (yes, it comes with me when I'm sitting on the toilet even...and it's beside my head when I'm asleep) and EVERYONE, minus some old people, pretty much have a cell phone, and cell phones can easily connect into anyone's home theater system or carry a portable speaker (it's what I do when I clean my house, it's small, but damn can it go loud), so playing music on a gaming console just doesn't feel like a selling feature. It has it's uses, but for a next gen console, that's not a selling point. It's been done on previous gens. It would be like them trying to say their console plays movies from DVD/Blu-ray is revolutionary/next-gen, and it's not. we have blu-ray players, we already have a console that plays blu-rays, pc's play them too.

I am a little curious how old the TV you were playing on was that only had 1 HDMI port though...mine's 3 years old and has 3. though the little 19 inch one that i put my kid's wii u on only has one and it's 2 years old. So either it's a small tv that you're cranking music out of (?) or it's a much older tv? Either way, I don't think saying a system plays music should be a selling point. EVERYTHING plays music with today's technology pretty much, I wouldn't be surprised if my microwave does honestly, it has almost as many buttons as my keyboard. Music should never be an issue for being able to listen to it, and to argue it is to pretty much argue which sidewalk is better to walk down on the same road. (or something just as stupid)

TL:DR - Music can be played on pretty much any and every electronic device, so it shouldn't be considered a selling point on any stationary console.

It was a pretty old HDTV, probably 2006/2007, but I know it's still in use. Plus there are quite a few set ups out there where there aren't many available HDMI ports after everything else they have plugged in.

Still, custom soundtracks can be quite useful in games. Not every title is an intently focused singleplayer adventure where the background music is an integral part of the experience, many multiplayer games and whatnot can be nice to have custom soundtracks in. GTA3/Vice City and Phantom Dust on the original Xbox had wonderful support for that.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#24huhnkeshufflePosted 11/2/2013 11:19:29 AM
I like how having the ability to stream music and play cds is being spun as a negative somehow. By this logic I can argue that the ability to play games doesn't count as a selling point for next gen systems since my phone has games. Ride on pony. Ride on.
---
onelastpost."afrika, the affirmative action/adventure game."