Has there ever before been such a price/power disparity in the console wars?

#1ZeroRaiderPosted 11/1/2013 6:12:27 PM
Looking all the way back to the Atari... I don't think I've ever seen a debacle quite like this.

If a system was more expensive, it was more powerful. If it was cheaper, it was weaker. Sometimes the competitors were on equal footing price wise. But never was the more expensive system the weaker one!

Microsoft is venturing into uncharted territory here... and I don't think they are going to like where they end up.
#2Chaos1950Posted 11/1/2013 6:19:42 PM
The Atari Jaguar maybe? Was it even considered a contender though?

The commercials constantly bragged about it being 64bit compared to the SNES and Genesis since they where only 16 bit, but most of the games on it didn't look that much better. A couple of games did, but most looked like regular 16 bit games or like Starfox with that "where did you learn to fly?" game.
#3SgtGalaxyPosted 11/1/2013 6:22:02 PM
Ps4 :slowguy:
---
this game is about winning, If you had the option of a 1) Big d*** or 2) a small d***, would you choose 2 because it took more skill? Thought not"
-Bokkin
#4HENTAIDOJIPosted 11/1/2013 6:22:51 PM
Gamecube / PS2.

PS4 is the new gamecube. Fixing all issues of its predecessor except the most important one.
---
http://nopybot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/hentai-demotivational1.jpg
#5slyman19Posted 11/1/2013 6:22:58 PM
Sega Saturn VS PS1

PS2 VS Gamecube
#6MajesticFerretPosted 11/1/2013 6:30:08 PM
If you look at PS2 vs GC RE4 videos, the power gap is actually a lot more noticeable than the PS4 vs X1 gap from the multiplats I've seen.
---
Sanity is a one trick pony, all you get with it is rational thought, but with crazy the sky's the limit.
#7touyamizrahiPosted 11/1/2013 6:33:15 PM
ZeroRaider posted...
Looking all the way back to the Atari... I don't think I've ever seen a debacle quite like this.

If a system was more expensive, it was more powerful. If it was cheaper, it was weaker. Sometimes the competitors were on equal footing price wise. But never was the more expensive system the weaker one!

Microsoft is venturing into uncharted territory here... and I don't think they are going to like where they end up.

no company has ever tried to making a gaming console into a paywall tv receiver before now either nor originally (<-- key word) tried to take away your purchasing power before either...

Game systems were always close before because they offered roughly the same hardware but a different variety of games. Like SNES always had more rpgs, but genesis had more action/pick-up-and-play games. Now it's at the point where like 70-80%+ of games are multi-platform, taking away a decent bit of uniqueness that each system would've had. Yes, it is a good thing for dev's to try and make more money to keep putting out more games, but we all know the one thing both sides fight about now is what was common practice back in the day: exclusives. I bugged my mom as a kid for a genesis for Shining Force and Phatasy Star, and begged worse than a hobo for an SNES for Chrono Trigger and Earth Bound, because I could only get them on those consoles (there are a lot of other games, i'm just too lazy to think of more and look in my emulator folder ATM). But now, I can find so many games I prefer to play on just about any system, so as a gamer, it for me comes down to what system can offer the best gaming experience.

As I've stated in other threads, I have a stereo and mp3 players for music, my tv shows are either watched online via pc or netflix on the console (so a console that says I can plug a set top box into it doesn't win any extra points) and has the games I want (which is technically both systems with how multi-platform everything is). It's clear why I am going PS4 (feel free to call out fanboy, sony pony, etc. This is to the fanatics that see the XBOne and MS as a company that has never made a fault product since it's conception) as I find a lot of the extra gimmicks are just that and don't really add to the "gaming experience" of gaming. I'm someone that comes from atari originally, we had a controller with 2 buttons to play games and we had hours of non-stop fun, so adding more to the controls of how the system works isn't always a good thing.

That being said, I really hope we can get some kinda decent VR system for 9th gen though. That would truly make my century aside from a few personal things :).
---
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/435687/ battlefield-4-xbox-one-vs-ps4-critics-claim-sonys-version-shines-brightest/
PS4 vs XBOne my joy since E3 <3
#8Hi CPosted 11/1/2013 7:37:36 PM
MajesticFerret posted...
If you look at PS2 vs GC RE4 videos, the power gap is actually a lot more noticeable than the PS4 vs X1 gap from the multiplats I've seen.

Not really. GC games were basically PS2 games with better textures.

The amount of power it takes to run something at 1080p over 720p at the same frame rate is an entire order of magnitude greater.
---
You'll be my John G.
#9benjimainPosted 11/1/2013 7:39:11 PM
There's never been such disparity when you combined both price and power difference. How Sony pulled it off, I don't know, but it's some pretty ingenious strategy.
#10CyborgTwentyPosted 11/2/2013 2:53:59 AM
The whole debacle has a name and it's called Kinect. Without Kinect X1 could have had more power and a lower price.