Do we still need to connect to the internet to download the offline patch?

#21Def_S0ulPosted 11/2/2013 1:18:32 PM
Hucast9 posted...
Def_S0ul posted...

That's the thing though. Why do you have to do that!? Sure it may not be a big of a deal just a minor inconvenience. But it's an inconvenience nonetheless. You don't have to do that on a PS4 or Wii U. You paid $500 for a humongous brick that requires internet connection to activate.

Just like most jobs today expect you to have internet to apply for them, so does the Xbox One and PS4 expect you to have it. Things like hdmi, internet, and high definition displays are all expected to be the norm nowadays.

But you're not applying for a job. If you're looking for work you do whatever it takes regardless of whether if it's inconvenient or not. You need that job but don't have an internet, find a way to apply ie. ask a friend that have internet connection or go to a library with one. Buying a console to play is not the same as looking for a job. Especially it's your money that you're spending, you want to enjoy the experience not get hassled by a company's rigid business philosophy.

Sure being online is the standard today but guess what not everyone can conform to standards. Even people that can afford good internet connection may not be able to get it due to the region or area where they live at. But a M$ supporter will say just move to a different city like it's as easy as snapping a finger. HD TV's are the standard sure, they have been around for quite a while and prices have dropped significantly but guess what, not everyone can still afford the cheapest HD TV out there. But if you want to play console games on HD there's still a much cheaper alternative. It's called HD monitor.

M$ just wants to limit the options as much as possible because the more they limit the consumers options the more they can squeeze extra money from them. You don't want any company to get that kind of power ever. But M$ fanboys sure don't mind.
#22masterchief6154Posted 11/2/2013 1:34:37 PM
Def_S0ul posted...
Hucast9 posted...
Def_S0ul posted...

That's the thing though. Why do you have to do that!? Sure it may not be a big of a deal just a minor inconvenience. But it's an inconvenience nonetheless. You don't have to do that on a PS4 or Wii U. You paid $500 for a humongous brick that requires internet connection to activate.

Just like most jobs today expect you to have internet to apply for them, so does the Xbox One and PS4 expect you to have it. Things like hdmi, internet, and high definition displays are all expected to be the norm nowadays.

But you're not applying for a job. If you're looking for work you do whatever it takes regardless of whether if it's inconvenient or not. You need that job but don't have an internet, find a way to apply ie. ask a friend that have internet connection or go to a library with one. Buying a console to play is not the same as looking for a job. Especially it's your money that you're spending, you want to enjoy the experience not get hassled by a company's rigid business philosophy.

Sure being online is the standard today but guess what not everyone can conform to standards. Even people that can afford good internet connection may not be able to get it due to the region or area where they live at. But a M$ supporter will say just move to a different city like it's as easy as snapping a finger. HD TV's are the standard sure, they have been around for quite a while and prices have dropped significantly but guess what, not everyone can still afford the cheapest HD TV out there. But if you want to play console games on HD there's still a much cheaper alternative. It's called HD monitor.

M$ just wants to limit the options as much as possible because the more they limit the consumers options the more they can squeeze extra money from them. You don't want any company to get that kind of power ever. But M$ fanboys sure don't mind.

OK, I hate to do things like this, but I have to. Video gaming is a luxury. It's not a right. It's not a promise from each game company that you'll always have the equipment necessary to use their console. That's up to YOU. If you can justify a $400-$500 purchase, then save up your money and justify it for the necessary equipment for using that console.

As far as the internet goes, same story. If you cannot justify $25 a month for internet, but you can somehow justify $400-$500 this month for a gaming console, your priorities are prolly out of whack. Gaming, especially next generation gaming, is not a guaranteed thing for everyone. Sorry to say it, but truth is truth. I'm not that far removed from having to sit out the first few years of a generation, because I had more pressing concerns than gaming. But now I'm here, and it's OK! I didn't die from lack of new games.

There is no way to make everyone happy, and Microsoft understands this.
---
Excuse me, judge. I'm wouldn't be delinquint in my payments if they'd just raise my debt limit.
#23BoxTheMuppetPosted 11/2/2013 1:52:25 PM
I thought I read somewhere that ps4 has a day one patch as well.

Looks like you might be staying current gen friend.
---
#1 at absolutely nothing!
#24SnickleseedPosted 11/2/2013 1:56:10 PM
Dreamental posted...
how are you going to download a patch without internet?

---
i7 3770 | 8GB | Agility3 120GB SSD | 2TB HD | HD5850 | HX520w | CM Centurion 5
#25HalecticPosted 11/2/2013 1:57:15 PM
BoxTheMuppet posted...

The PS4 update is only to enable online functions, and enable DVD and Blue-Ray movie playback.

And you can ask for Sony to send you disc to unlock the movie player, and you can also download the whole 300meg update to a USB drive and install it into the PS4 that way.
---
Digimon World Dawn FC 000111545835
#26BoxTheMuppetPosted 11/2/2013 1:59:10 PM
Halectic posted...
BoxTheMuppet posted...

The PS4 update is only to enable online functions, and enable DVD and Blue-Ray movie playback.

And you can ask for Sony to send you disc to unlock the movie player, and you can also download the whole 300meg update to a USB drive and install it into the PS4 that way.

Patch is for way more than that.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/25/ps4-day-one-patch-detailed-by-sony
---
#1 at absolutely nothing!
#27HalecticPosted 11/2/2013 2:01:29 PM
BoxTheMuppet posted...
Halectic posted...
BoxTheMuppet posted...

Patch is for way more than that.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/25/ps4-day-one-patch-detailed-by-sony

Not really, online functions include more then just games. The only features you would want the patch for, are for online features and watching movies.

The Xbox One patch is required to even play a game offline, and MS is not giving any other install option
---
Digimon World Dawn FC 000111545835
#28Def_S0ulPosted 11/3/2013 4:24:26 PM
masterchief6154 posted...

masterchief6154 posted...
Gaming, especially next generation gaming, is not a guaranteed thing for everyone. Sorry to say it, but truth is truth. I'm not that far removed from having to sit out the first few years of a generation, because I had more pressing concerns than gaming. But now I'm here, and it's OK! I didn't die from lack of new games.

So it's ok to alienate everyone without an internet connection? Since the early days of consoles all you need is the console itself+controllers, a tv or a videogame cartridge/disc for that particular system. That's it. It's a not a matter of luxury, it's a matter of simple availability. If you can't afford it then you can't afford it. Tough luck. But they make the consoles nowadays to be readily available to purchase but not readily available to play. That's stupid. With consoles back then all you have to do is hook it up and play. That's it. So simple. Now they have all these patches where you have to wait for a bit before you can play. It's not that bad if you have internet connection. At least Sony made an effort to have external ways to install their own patch and even if you only want to play single player games, you can play your system from the get go. Does xbone allow you to play single player from the get go? Nope, patch required. Does M$ have an external way to install the patch? Nope, sorry internet is an absolute requirement, deal with it!

Now I like your last statement. You can't please everybody. You're absolutely correct. In my own personal life I tried to please everyone. I couldn't do it. It's impossible. I did everything I could and hope for the best and then move on. But in your mind and M$'s hive mind there's no need to try to go above and beyond to deliver the best service and experience for everyone interested in investing on their console. People with no internet don't matter. Single player gamers don't matter if they don't have internet connection. Everybody needs to subscribe to xbox live. You can't play single player games if you don't have internet connection even though past consoles let you. But it's ok, it's M$, a multi-billion dollar company and they can do whatever they want and would only let people with online connectivity play their system. In M$ eyes people who is not online don't matter because they won't bring in as much revenue as people who have xbox live. But in my opinion simply selling the system itself is a revenue. And you never know people with no internet connection might decide to get one eventually when they start expressing interest in online play. But to M$ selling the xbox live and that expensive and worthless camera (worthless for most consumers, plenty of worth for M$) matter more than selling the xbone itself.

Now I'm not saying having online connectivity is a bad thing. It's a great thing. A great, fun and enjoyable feature for most. But that's what being online is, a feature not a mandate. M$ is a business. Their basic function is to sell their products and not force people and make a law that everyone is required to be online or otherwise you can't play. The decision to be online is subject to the consumers. It's not in M$ place to force people online just so they can play. We are only here to play video games, we are not here to get involved with their politics. And that's why I'm not buying an xbone because they are trying to enforce rules on us. I'm just playing, I don't care about your rules. I'm out.