History repeats itself...

#1Board_ColliePosted 11/2/2013 4:56:15 PM
The whole issue sounds vaguely familiar to something that happend almost 20 years ago -

Sega and Sony were working on 32bit machines.

When Sony showed what theirs could do, Sega panicked and threw in sone extra hardware at the last minute to stay on par, but it only made things worse for developers.

Sony also undercut Sega by $100 at the launch....
---
Lol: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/67056898
#22A93Posted 11/2/2013 4:57:58 PM
I'm looking forward to Microsoft Games Studio going third party.
#3JusticeSwordPosted 11/2/2013 4:59:17 PM
2A93 posted...
I'm looking forward to Microsoft Games Studio going third party.

Hey now thats not fair sega actually has great IP's!
---
PSN:TheDragonzord
>_> Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles HD remix please
#4Jedi454Posted 11/2/2013 5:00:16 PM
In b4 TC has no idea what he is talking about.
---
3DS FC: 2294-4665-5845
Time to catch em' all!
#5Ramsus082Posted 11/2/2013 5:01:02 PM
Actually believe it or not I think MS went with the eSRAM idea even before they decided on the main memory.

Seriously. I know it sounds ridiculous in retrospect, but that's the truth.
---
Band I'm listening to - "Song I'm listening to"
#6Board_Collie(Topic Creator)Posted 11/2/2013 5:01:43 PM
The funny thing is Sega had a lot more and better exclusives than Sony who started with nothing but even that didn't help.
---
Lol: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/67056898
#7ManInGorillaSutPosted 11/2/2013 5:02:39 PM
Ramsus082 posted...
Actually believe it or not I think MS went with the eSRAM idea even before they decided on the main memory.

Seriously. I know it sounds ridiculous in retrospect, but that's the truth.

You have any proof to back this up? because everything that's been happening (Resolutiongate) suggests otherwise.
---
Give me Banana!
PSN ID; EL_BOMBASTICO
#8Jedi454Posted 11/2/2013 5:04:03 PM
Board_Collie posted...
The funny thing is Sega had a lot more and better exclusives than Sony who started with nothing but even that didn't help.

But the N64 had Cartridges!
---
3DS FC: 2294-4665-5845
Time to catch em' all!
#9BjornAgainstPosted 11/2/2013 5:13:56 PM
Board_Collie posted...

They were going to have better exclusives but Sega made a huge blunder that cost them third party support when they released the console early. The Saturn was originally supposed to launch in the fall right around the same time as the PS1 but Sega decided to drop a bombshell in their E3 press conference revealing that the Saturn was going to be released months early, in fact they released the system that same day that they made the announcement of the early release.

While a huge bombshell like this got people really excited, the excitement quickly died when the hardware supplies were very limited and nearly everyone who tried to buy it at launch was unable to get their hands on one. The even bigger problem is that all the third party studios who had intended to launch games with the system did not know the system was going to be launching months earlier than they had been told so none of their launch titles were complete and they missed out on those first day sales. This really upset the third parties which allowed Sony to go in and convince them to make Sony exclusives instead, this is what ultimately destroyed Sega in the hardware business. While they still would release the Dreamcast a few years later their blunder with the Saturn continued to drag them down through the Dreamcast years and prevented them from being successful in hardware ever again.
#10KillerCabalPosted 11/2/2013 5:15:39 PM
The esram if you add more than 32mb it gets too hot.