X1 biggest competition won't be PS4, it will be iPhone/Pads.

#11Cowboy082288(Topic Creator)Posted 11/3/2013 3:31:01 AM
Also should point out that there are hdmi adapter that allow a person to directly plug their phone/tablet into their TV.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam - cowboyoni
#12slowdog76Posted 11/3/2013 3:33:28 AM
microsoft talked about this waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back around the time of the console reveal.

For all the criticism Microsoft have garnered over the last few months - some justified, some not -, understanding this enables you to really understand and appreciate what they were, and to a degree still are trying to do. A great deal of building a console is trying to predict the future, and future trends, and to attempt to future proof yourself in that regard. And even if you get it completely right, there is still going to be things that come along out of nowhere that will test the viability of your platform.

I'll give you an example. Back in 2004, Stargate Atlantis first broadcast. In it, characters such as Rodney ran around with tablet computers. Doesn't seem so strange now, but back in 2004, that looked like the future right there on the screen. Now, the concept was nothing new. MS themselves had been trying repeatedly. But it just wasn't seen as viable. And yet, here we are less than 10 years later, and not only are tablets prolific, but they have almost killed the laptop industry, and become a major factor for the rise in mobile gaming, which makes billions.

So, where you could, perhaps, have said that finally, tablet computers may be possible by 2010 (as they were), no one could have predicted just what they have become within the marketplace.

Consumer electronics now do multiple things. And they are expected to. The PS3 was the primary source for using Lovefilm. More than half of minutes online over the past couple years on XBL has been spent by people watching video. So, whilst it is one thing, and understandable to say "I just want my console to play games", the market as a whole puts you straight into the minority. So, if the likes of Apple are doing more and more to encroach into the living room, then it is reasonable to assume that companies such as MS and Sony will want to try and counter that. Especially as Apple et al encroach into the realms of gaming.
---
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Confucius
#13quickposterPosted 11/3/2013 3:36:21 AM
PS4 is the reason you, your friends, your family, your neighbors, your school, your work place and your dog aren't buying an X1. Therefore it must be the biggest competition.
#14slowdog76Posted 11/3/2013 3:40:16 AM
quickposter posted...
PS4 is the reason you, your friends, your family, your neighbors, your school, your work place and your dog aren't buying an X1. Therefore it must be the biggest competition.

My friends are mainly buying XB1. My family don't game. One neighbour is buying XB1, one is a 70 year old Chinese woman. I have been out of school twice as long as I was in it. I am my workplace. I own a cat, and she isn't buying any console due to being a cat.

Want to try that again?
---
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Confucius
#15quickposterPosted 11/3/2013 3:54:36 AM
I am speaking for the largest majority of the masses. Look at the facts on the table. I haven't seen one real report of X1 taking the world by storm. A few analysts predicting it doesn't make it true. How poorly it is set to sell is reflected by the fact that Killzone of all things had (at least one point in time) more pre-orders then every X1 exclusive combined. Every multiplat is set to sell more on PS4. PS4 is set to sell out for the first few months on worldwide scales.

Then you have the value parts. Firstly few do the comparisons. This is proven with Vita. They look at the price. PS4 is cheaper. They'll buy that. X1 will require an internet connection out the box and those in ignorance of it will start asking questions why. Once it comes out that MS attempted to control people's content like that there will be a serious backlash. Don't think a patch will fix that. And then the spy camera which can supposedly hear everything you say. When the PS4 meets the exact same need X1 meets but without a few MS exclusives you need to get real and ask who is going to buy it?

The masses don't care about resolutions and tech specs so that is something that doesn't matter but with the other main three problems price, potentially taxing used games tomorrow and an alleged spy camera there is literally no reason to buy an X1 over a PS4 other than a few MS exclusives or blind brand loyalty. Power of the cloud is the same kind of PR BS Sony used to give for PS3.

PS4 is just too good looking in comparison that X1 is going to be nothing but a disaster.
#16BoxTheMuppetPosted 11/3/2013 3:56:11 AM
Cowboy082288 posted...
True_FoeHammer posted...
Cowboy082288 posted...
True_FoeHammer posted...
Who wants to carry a game controller in their ass pocket?

..... did you read anything?

Do you have any idea why people game on their iphones? Hint: it's because they're in a place where there is absolutely nothing else to do, like the waiting room of a doctor's office.

.... I was talking mostly about future technologies that can make an iPad or iPhone a home gaming console played on your TV.....

Again I ask, did you read any of it?

These are not things currently available on the market but will be in the next year or 2.

But everyone wants a console that only plays games. Other stuff is dumb. PPPPSSSSSS4444 4 life!!!

Can't wait for my day one x1.
---
#1 at absolutely nothing!
#17elchris79Posted 11/3/2013 4:09:13 AM
slowdog76 posted...
microsoft talked about this waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back around the time of the console reveal.

For all the criticism Microsoft have garnered over the last few months - some justified, some not -, understanding this enables you to really understand and appreciate what they were, and to a degree still are trying to do. A great deal of building a console is trying to predict the future, and future trends, and to attempt to future proof yourself in that regard. And even if you get it completely right, there is still going to be things that come along out of nowhere that will test the viability of your platform.

I'll give you an example. Back in 2004, Stargate Atlantis first broadcast. In it, characters such as Rodney ran around with tablet computers. Doesn't seem so strange now, but back in 2004, that looked like the future right there on the screen. Now, the concept was nothing new. MS themselves had been trying repeatedly. But it just wasn't seen as viable. And yet, here we are less than 10 years later, and not only are tablets prolific, but they have almost killed the laptop industry, and become a major factor for the rise in mobile gaming, which makes billions.

So, where you could, perhaps, have said that finally, tablet computers may be possible by 2010 (as they were), no one could have predicted just what they have become within the marketplace.

Consumer electronics now do multiple things. And they are expected to. The PS3 was the primary source for using Lovefilm. More than half of minutes online over the past couple years on XBL has been spent by people watching video. So, whilst it is one thing, and understandable to say "I just want my console to play games", the market as a whole puts you straight into the minority. So, if the likes of Apple are doing more and more to encroach into the living room, then it is reasonable to assume that companies such as MS and Sony will want to try and counter that. Especially as Apple et al encroach into the realms of gaming.

You're absolutely right. But the main reason to own a console surely is still to play games. A tablet will never have the same ability to run complex games as a console. And I agree about video streaming services. But I have a smart TV that does that. And most people will in the next few years. With so many devices duplicating the same services, a console's USP has to be playing games.
#18Cowboy082288(Topic Creator)Posted 11/3/2013 4:32:13 AM
elchris79 posted...
slowdog76 posted...

You're absolutely right. But the main reason to own a console surely is still to play games. A tablet will never have the same ability to run complex games as a console. And I agree about video streaming services. But I have a smart TV that does that. And most people will in the next few years. With so many devices duplicating the same services, a console's USP has to be playing games.

I'm not sure why you think that. Tablets are computers in another form factor, just like consoles are. There is no reason why tablets can't catch up in quality of games, they have already made huge gains in that department. Also remember that they don't have to be exactly as good. It wasn't until the dreamcast that there was finally a console as powerful as a modern arcade but by that time consoles had long since supplanted arcades as the main gaming platform.

This Kotaku article has a great presentation at the bottom of the article talking about this very thing:

http://kotaku.com/5892836/the-best-26+minute-argument-that-game-consoles-are-dying
---
#19Cowboy082288(Topic Creator)Posted 11/3/2013 5:27:30 AM
slowdog76 posted...

I do think that dedicated devices are becoming a thing of the past. To that end I believe that both Sony and MS need to show that their new consoles are more than just gaming devices.
---