Why pricing matters when launching a new console

#1Dev0311Posted 11/4/2013 9:34:27 AM
We are currently in a recession. Some people don't even have enough money for food on the table, yet alone for a new videogame system for the kids this Christmas. Imagine these people looking at $399 vs. $499. That's $100 that could be spent on something else. Plenty of other things actually during this time of year.

I don't think people here realize how important pricing matters these days. And that's why Xbone will have a hard time finding its way into shopping carts after the initial launch units are sold. I don't think a $499 console can survive in today's economy, it's just too overpriced for what it's offering. That's my piece.
#2Blizz87Posted 11/4/2013 9:45:08 AM
Dev0311 posted...
We are currently in a recession. Some people don't even have enough money for food on the table, yet alone for a new videogame system for the kids this Christmas. Imagine these people looking at $399 vs. $499. That's $100 that could be spent on something else. Plenty of other things actually during this time of year.

I don't think people here realize how important pricing matters these days. And that's why Xbone will have a hard time finding its way into shopping carts after the initial launch units are sold. I don't think a $499 console can survive in today's economy, it's just too overpriced for what it's offering. That's my piece.

If you paying 400 for the ps4 and 60 for games and 50 for PSN then 500 for the X1 isn't that big of deal. Yea, its expensive for BOTH consoles and it sucks for people that can't afford it, but hey the 360 and ps3 still have games coming out for them, so there is that.
#3HowardTheMizerPosted 11/4/2013 9:47:19 AM
Blizz87 posted...
Dev0311 posted...

If you paying 400 for the ps4 and 60 for games and 50 for PSN then 500 for the X1 isn't that big of deal. Yea, its expensive for BOTH consoles and it sucks for people that can't afford it, but hey the 360 and ps3 still have games coming out for them, so there is that.

Except you're paying 500 for xbox 360, 60 for games, and 50 for live... yes it's still a big deal. Let's say you are buying the console for your kids...

500 360
60 - 120 1 or 2 games
50 live
60 extra controller

You're looking at seven hundred dollars LOL.
---
Not changing until Jaguars win their division - 3/22/2006
3DS FC: 2380 - 3306 - 9208
#4Sniper_BrosefPosted 11/4/2013 10:37:05 AM(edited)
If people are having trouble putting food on the table then the XBO isn't for them. For that matter, netiher is the marginally less expensive PS4.
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#5axelfooley2k5Posted 11/4/2013 9:48:18 AM
I doubt this holiday season you will hear talk of xbone doing bad

I think it will do good at the start but slowly get worse and worse ....
Loads of people have negative thoughts on the thing

Cut that price and camera and I think they will be just fine
---
Kramerica Industries
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icDXNHF-oEw
#6SlikkSterrPosted 11/4/2013 9:49:09 AM
Dev0311 posted...

Yes, imagine these people who can barely put food on the table and what they will be doing for their next gen gaming needs...
#7HowardTheMizerPosted 11/4/2013 9:51:03 AM
SlikkSterr posted...
Dev0311 posted...

Yes, imagine these people who can barely put food on the table and what they will be doing for their next gen gaming needs...

Sorry that's exactly what happens. How many people on welfare and food stamps are gonna have that xbox one/ps4 with COD ghosts and madden 25? Already have new SUV's and 70" TV's.
---
#8chickabumpbumpPosted 11/4/2013 9:51:06 AM
Okay lets get something straight for everyone complaining about the price.

Sony's console would of been more expensive or the same price as the xbox one but they waited on purpose for MS to mention their price , then Sony took their camera out the box as standard and lowered the price.

Okay! End of, thats what happened at E3. If MS had gone second or after Sony, you wouldnt be having this conversation. Sony were sneaky at E3, sneaky but still a business plan
#9chrish909Posted 11/4/2013 9:51:30 AM
You are right tc just look at ps3
---
This is why I'm never going to get a ps4
http://www.destructoid.com/fact-ps3-fanboys-are-the-worst-149259.phtml
#10HowardTheMizerPosted 11/4/2013 9:52:19 AM
chickabumpbump posted...
Okay lets get something straight for everyone complaining about the price.

Sony's console would of been more expensive or the same price as the xbox one but they waited on purpose for MS to mention their price , then Sony took their camera out the box as standard and lowered the price.

Okay! End of, thats what happened at E3. If MS had gone second or after Sony, you wouldnt be having this conversation. Sony were sneaky at E3, sneaky but still a business plan

I'm sorry, but which division do you work for at Sony? LOL Wild speculation. If MS was smart they'd just drop the kinect and offer the console at $399.
---