MS had planned this for long time, but they didn't expect this coming!

#1bloodlover4everPosted 11/4/2013 3:54:11 PM(edited)
I was having a discussion with few gamers over why MS did not launch a more powerful console than this, regardless of the competitors, and why did they invest in non gaming elements more than the games itself. We came up with few interesting points:

1. MS since the second half of Xbox360 era, decided to change their direction toward multimedia device. This was clearly communicated in their communications, news and even Xbox updates with all these channels and social media integration.

2. Gaming as a core function in the second half of Xbox 360 era was not the main concern for MS, exclusive deals were not as big as the first half of the Xbox360 life, exclusive contents were more on PS3 than Xbox360. MS was very open on its vision toward the next gen, the last two years were all about the entertainment console not the powerful gaming console as we used to hear from MS.

3. Kinect was created to cater to casual gamers, now this point is complicated, but somehow the marketing team at MS believed that this will make Xbox defeats Wii and 360 will enter every territory in the world! It was a hit despite all the criticism so it was an obvious choice to have it as mandatory on XboxOne as well.

4. For the above points MS had a clear strategy to create a social and entertainment hub console that includes gaming as one of its main functions but not the MAIN function; hence MS did not want to manufacture the most powerful gaming console in the market intentionally. Although they could have easily done that as they did with the first Xbox and 360 which was a great achievement for its time within the gaming industry.

Blame us gamers or blame MS, whatever you want, because I believe we had all seen this coming and now some people are shocked why MS is doing that!
The bigger issue is MS itself which now cannot believe how all its plans and strategies for the next gen was wrong and had to upgrade the XboxOne twice at the last moment just to catch up!!

Would all that be different if we had been more vocal about these strategies since last year as many did this year? I don't know! Should MS have listened to more developers instead to their strategists?

What do you think?
#2CyborgTwentyPosted 11/4/2013 3:32:44 PM
Wow a good post...on gamefaqs! Seriously i agree with you we should have seen this coming and try to stop it earlier.
#3MuryoPosted 11/4/2013 3:38:13 PM
This was a very good read, good post TC!
---
Miiverse: Muryoken
PSN: Muryoken
#4touyamizrahiPosted 11/4/2013 3:46:15 PM
I can agree with that completely. MS has tried to make a multimedia hub. Those are all solid points. I think what MS was shocked about and what most people in general were shocked about, is MS trying to justify $500 for a multimedia hub. I see it as a reversed wired router of services that plays games, which is an accurate assessment really. Instead of a router outputting to multiple devices, multiple devices connect into the MS hub and are wired out to the tv. Gamers are furious because MS turned their gaming department into a multimedia department, and casual consumers are upset on the price point because they aren't getting an extra service on their currently paid for services.

However TC, if you by chance have a record/log of your conversation with the others, I'd love to read the full log of that and see each individuals opinions on each matter as it came up :).
---
Thinking about what to put here. Open to ideas :).
PS4 vs XBOne my joy since E3 <3
#5EllesarienPosted 11/4/2013 3:48:49 PM
"What do you think?"

It's still going to play games of a quality that is fine with me and I am both excited and glad they decided to not just do a simple graphics upgrade on this console.

If both consoles were just upgrading graphics I would just be sticking with this gen. and saving up for a new PC.
---
I will try and see it from your point of view, but I doubt we'll be able to fit both our heads up there.
#6MetroidFan9999Posted 11/4/2013 3:51:54 PM
Well of course they tried to go for this. I think they forgot that it's the core gamer that will buy a gaming console at such a high price initially. They aren't going to be building that userbase with the casuals at that price.

If multimedia functions can overall be patched in due time and are mostly software related, then Sony is doing things right here: Build the core userbase quickly and appease to the casuals/multimedia in due time.
---
Xbox One = Xbone = Crossbone = Jolly Roger.
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/mind_blown.gif
#7regsantotomasPosted 11/4/2013 3:57:09 PM
As I have said before, to a great extent, I can understand why core gamers have so much ire against the Xbox One. It is no longer catering to the core gaming community only like its predecessors have by and large.

I don't think that there is blame as much as there is the reality that the market is shifting. People expect more from their devices. Phones no longer just make calls and IPTV is an impending reality so it should come to no one's surprise that both consoles are attempting to fill that gap.

Clearly Kinect is an integral part of an all-in-one vision that Microsoft has. Without such a solution implemented with each box, the attempt to cast a wider multimedia net is already a failure.

I have no idea if Microsoft will be successful in this endeavor. I do know that I am excited at the prospects of what this console can bring beyond just gaming even if that means that I become a pariah in the core gaming community that I have been a part of for over 30 years.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#8SirLemontPosted 11/4/2013 4:03:26 PM
They want that Wii money, plain and simple. Microsoft saw how Nintendo launched the Wii late and with inferior tech and STILL managed to outsell both the PS3 and the 360. Microsoft's biggest mistake was neglecting the core gamers in favor of the casual crowd. Nintendo is already paying the price of that with the sluggish performance of the Wii U. Microsoft will pay that price as well (or may already have by giving away what market dominance they had to Sony well before the systems launch).
#9nonexistingheroPosted 11/4/2013 4:03:54 PM
Their choice of turning it into a media hub is probably what will lead to their downfall in the gaming industry. The only place in the world where the system 'might' sell a decent amount is the US, it will sell horrible everywhere else in the world (features are incredibly US-centric, very high price, release 6 months later in most parts of the world, a lot of negative buzz surrounding the console and it won't be getting the best versions of multiplatform games on consoles because it's weaker than the PS4).

Basically, MS killed the system already.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#10RaukuePosted 11/4/2013 4:07:44 PM
I was already seeing MS doing this ever since I got into this gen back in Oct 2010. I was not looking at either 360 or PS3 until I got my PS3 on that time. I came to learn that 360 was being that social and media console and that they put less focus on games, with their lack of exclusives.

I am surprised not more people didn't see this until the Xbox One reveal back in May 2013 though. It was obvious this was their direction and yet it took people until then to figure that out.

Anyway, it might end up working for them if they truly believe that their larger market comes from those who get an Xbox for movies and use it for things other than gaming. And as much of a burn it will be for them to be taken out... Xbox needs to stay to keep Sony in line. Competition is needed to keep things more fair for us because if either one of these guys, MS or Sony, stopped with a gaming console, we would be getting screwed much harder than we are now. This gen, Sony believed they had that monopoly at the start and this coming up next-gen, it is MS who believed they had that monopoly and made the same mistake as Sony this current gen.

So yeah, I feel Xbox One will still sell well enough, especially if those casuals and non-gamers get into buying it. Basically those who do not read up on gaming news like we do. We are but a small percentage of the average consumer. Those who are unaware of game reviews or just go by a cool ad they saw. MS are masters of marketing, they know how to grab folk.

http://www.destructoid.com/facts-about-game-consumers-i-learned-working-retail-261220.phtml

Just a link there that gives some idea of the average consumer. It is kind of sad that it is those kind of consumers that those like EA, Capcom and MS wanna grab onto. Especially Capcom who were all about the gamers before this gen but then abandoned the core gamer to try and grab that CoD cash.
---
I enjoy open world/sandbox games.