Mandatory installations from 40-50GB per game on a 500GB HD - no ext HD allowed.

#1pavornocturnusPosted 11/4/2013 2:22:24 PM
From http://www.destructoid.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-xbox-one-264722.phtml?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Destructoid+%28Destructoid%29

"The Xbox One comes with a 500gb hard drive (and 8gb flash memory), which you'll need. Games like Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty: Ghosts are about 40gb and 50gb in size, respectively, and the Xbox One requires you to install games to the hard drive -- even if you have the game on disc. Note that the Xbox One hard drive is not easily replaceable and currently the console does not support external hard drives for storing data."

10 games x 50GB = 500GB, duh.
In 1-2 years many Xbox One owners will probably have more than 10 games, few maybe reach that limit in 1/2 year. I have already installed more than 10 games on my 360 (disk install and pure games on demand, not to speak of arcade and indie games). Of course that doesn't mean I play them all the same week or month, I just like to have my favorites ready when I want to play them next month or in half a year or right now if I feel I want to play that particular game.

What if you have a large Xbox One game library in 3-5 years? Let's say you have 50 or even 100 games. You can only have 10 of them installed at the same time. Delete one and install the other. How long does it take for a blue ray drive to install 50GB on PC for a rough estimation?

And then we need space for arcade games, indie games, game videos (trailers), video on demand, space to store your own music...

I'm really skeptical that 500GB is enough. Sure ms will sell TB HDs in later years. But 500GB will not suffice even in the first year I think.

How want they sell their stuff with such a small hd? How want the pave the way to the heavenly future of -digital only- gaming they want to establish, with so limited space?
#2bessy67Posted 11/4/2013 2:24:05 PM
External HD support is coming next year. Plus you can play as a game installs/downloads.
---
"Immigrants. That's all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
GT: Bessy67
#3qbertz716Posted 11/4/2013 2:25:18 PM
Uninstall games you aren't playing. Problem solved. Both consoles allow you to play and install at the same time, so you don't have to worry about waiting on an installation to play an old game.
#4656stoogePosted 11/4/2013 2:27:18 PM
qbertz716 posted...
Uninstall games you aren't playing. Problem solved. Both consoles allow you to play and install at the same time, so you don't have to worry about waiting on an installation to play an old game.

I think you still have to instal a bit of the game before you can play it. How large that portion is remains to be seen.
---
*changed my mind. The Last of Us is amazing!*
For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died.
#5pavornocturnus(Topic Creator)Posted 11/4/2013 2:37:36 PM
Worst case scenario: after few years of sales (deal of the week, halloween, back to school, new years and all the other sales) you have acumulated 20 or more games on demand, so download only. That means you have to download 50GB every time you want to change to another game. Or buy 5 additional disk drives...

Sure better graphics mean more disk space is needed for the high res textures, sounds and so on. But that doesn't change the fact that it will be a hassle, a major PITA.

This is some of the few things I don't like about the next generation of consoles.
#6nonexistingheroPosted 11/4/2013 2:42:04 PM(edited)
bessy67 posted...
External HD support is coming next year. Plus you can play as a game installs/downloads.

It's something the system should've launched with. 500 GB is such a tiny amount that people who buy most/all launch games will run out of space right away, because the games are so gigantic.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#7regsantotomasPosted 11/4/2013 2:44:16 PM
I think that in the short term, this is a non-issue with the vast majority of gamers.

I do tend to buy a lot of games so I am more likely to fill up my HDD sooner than most so I definitely would love to see the external drive option sooner than later.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#8Dr WhoopassPosted 11/4/2013 2:52:17 PM
This is a big problem for both systems. 500GB ain't much when games are 50GB. Especially when ALL games must be installed >_<
---
XBL: Bitter Kevin
PSN: B1TT3R-K3V1N
#9nonexistingheroPosted 11/4/2013 2:58:41 PM(edited)
Dr Whoopass posted...
This is a big problem for both systems. 500GB ain't much when games are 50GB. Especially when ALL games must be installed >_<

PS4 seems to use a caching system. The games are installed in the cache as you play them. When you play something different, that's put in the cache instead. Although you will probably still need to install a chunk of permanent data anyway.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#10stevieb1234567Posted 11/4/2013 4:33:51 PM
If u had a ps4 u can replace hd with another one.
---
Posted using GameFlux