Activision's Mark Rubin On Resolution/My Issues on It

#1gameboybrycePosted 11/4/2013 8:41:07 PM
There's so much talk about the difference in resolutions between the two systems. I do agree that it is an important factor in many casuals choice. I, however, think that the big issue isn't the difference in resolutions but the cause behind them. In Mark Rubin's words:

"It's very possible we can get it to native 1080p [resolution]. I mean I've seen it working at 1080p native," Rubin said. "It's just we couldn't get the frame rate in the neighborhood we wanted it to be. And it wasn't a lack of effort. It wasn't that it was like last minute. We had the theoretical hardware for a long time. That's the thing you get pretty quickly and that doesn't change dramatically.

"It was more about resource allocation. The resource allocation is different on the consoles. That huge web of tangled resources, whether it's threads-based or if it's GPU threads or if it's memory - whatever it is - optimization is something that could go theoretically on forever."

http://kotaku.com/call-of-duty-makers-explain-why-resolution-is-lower-on-1458105478

What I take from this is that devs don't know how to optimize resources well on the X1. It's clear that with time this will probably be taken care of but I digress in the time it takes devs to learn how to optimize resource allocation on the X1 won't they have learned how to optimize resources on the PS4 more efficiently too, especially with how Cerny has built the system so that devs can steadily keep improving on how they use the resources in the system. So if that is the case it would seem that the gap in power difference between the two will never reach parity.

This is where my issue comes in. As games get bigger, have more advanced AI, have more immersive worlds etc and these multiplats push the boundaries of the PS4 and/or PC where does the Xbox One fall? What areas of the game are they gonna have to cut to make the game run on the X1? Look at this gen. Because the PS3 was so much harder to develop for multiplats tended to either look better or perform better on the 360 even though the PS3 technically had more power. The X1 doesn't have this luxury. It's the harder system to develop for and the weaker of the two.

It's going to be an interesting gen. As much as I think Microsoft is a cancer to the industry, I think they do make Sony want to be a better gaming company. If it wasn't for the 360 causing most studios to go multiplat we wouldn't have such amazing Sony first party studios. So I hope Microsoft pulls it together and starts truly focusing on their core audience.
---
This board has become a haven for Sony trolls, you have no idea what it is like going to sleep each night punching your pillow furiously.~TrashBoat
LMAO
#2lolwhutnubiesPosted 11/4/2013 9:06:08 PM
To me it reads as "we couldn't get 60fps at 1080p, even though we really really tried and had lots of in house help from Microsoft

Too many people simply do not understand how memory works, i almost pass out laughing whenever i'm reminded of the whole "ddr3+esram bandwidth = lots more bandwidth~!" This article really reminds me of that for some reason.

For those who dont know: its called a bottleneck. It doesn't matter if you esram capable of 2378462918746 petabytes of data per second. you will still only transfer at 72mb/s that the ddr3 is limited to. The x1 is limited to 72mb/s.

Is xone's gpu capable of 1080p@60fps? yep, but its bottlenecked by the terribad ram. This gap in performance will remail untill MS does a revision with GDDR5 or similar (Special reduced pricing for version 1 owners)
#3gameboybryce(Topic Creator)Posted 11/4/2013 9:10:20 PM
lolwhutnubies posted...
To me it reads as "we couldn't get 60fps at 1080p, even though we really really tried and had lots of in house help from Microsoft

Too many people simply do not understand how memory works, i almost pass out laughing whenever i'm reminded of the whole "ddr3+esram bandwidth = lots more bandwidth~!" This article really reminds me of that for some reason.

For those who dont know: its called a bottleneck. It doesn't matter if you esram capable of 2378462918746 petabytes of data per second. you will still only transfer at 72mb/s that the ddr3 is limited to. The x1 is limited to 72mb/s.

Is xone's gpu capable of 1080p@60fps? yep, but its bottlenecked by the terribad ram. This gap in performance will remail untill MS does a revision with GDDR5 or similar (Special reduced pricing for version 1 owners)

Oh it definitely reads that but my point was it's implications are bigger than that. But I doubt Microsoft will release a version of the X1 with different hardware. I don't see them admitting their mistake.
---
This board has become a haven for Sony trolls, you have no idea what it is like going to sleep each night punching your pillow furiously.~TrashBoat
LMAO