Even if you hate Jim Sterling you have to admit he has a point...

#1NewMoonShadowPosted 11/4/2013 9:10:08 PM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/8371-Cloak-and-Dagger

I haven't really thought about it before, but there really is a strange and disconcerting level of secrecy surrounding video game development and who is responsible for what. Nobody knows who to blame and nobody even knows what exactly they're blaming someone for. A company states that we don't know the facts and then fails to elaborate on what the f*** those facts ARE.

I theorize this is basically the Publishers' method of preventing public backlash against THEM specifically. If the Developers were allowed to come out and blatantly say that "Dead Space 3" contained microtransactions out the ass because EA demanded it to boost profits, it would reflect poorly on EA's business practices, so they force the Devs to shut the f*** up and take the blame, instead telling them to say it was a "calculated design decision" or something.

No publisher wants to be known as the publisher who cuts funding to projects before completion and releases the results anyway, they don't want to be known as the publisher who tells the Developer to make the game more like Call of Duty, they don't want to be known as the publisher who tell the Developer to put in microtransations to boost profits, they would rather say nothing and contractually obligate the Developers to say nothing so that nobody can really be sure whose fault it is that I have to pay 5 f***ing dollars to buy a gun in "Dead Space 3: Master Chief Wannabe Edition".

And Microsoft? Yeah, all this talk about how we didn't have all the facts about the X-Box One and the ways its DRM would benefit gamers, and nobody actually saying exactly HOW this is so besides that we'd be able to be slightly lazier asses and not change out a f***ing disc, and enable the Family Sharing Plan that is no different from handing someone a disc for a few days.
#2steveboblarryPosted 11/4/2013 9:17:02 PM
I like Jim Sterling I think I have only disagreed with him on only one issue which had to do with gender in games or something akin to that.
---
What Miley Cyrus did was not twerking, it was windshield wiping
#3A_Hairy_WafflePosted 11/4/2013 9:23:10 PM
It's usually the publishers that cause these problems. That's not to say that there aren't incompetent developers out there though.

The problem is, it's only going to get worse. A lot worse.
#4Troll_DirectoryPosted 11/4/2013 10:02:30 PM
NewMoonShadow posted...
Family Sharing Plan that is no different from handing someone a disc for a few days.
family sharing was (and maybe still will be for digital) 10 people having access to one game library, and two of those people can access it simultaneously: the main person's account, and one other person out of the 10, anywhere else in the world. so, not really anything like "handing someone a disc for a few days." also, there was/is to be a way to trade used digital games for credit toward other purchases.
#5Jx1010Posted 11/4/2013 10:44:57 PM
TC you are right, very interesting
---
Currently playing: Persona 3 FES and Resident Evil 6
#6TheCyborgNinjaPosted 11/4/2013 10:51:15 PM
Troll_Directory posted...
NewMoonShadow posted...
Family Sharing Plan that is no different from handing someone a disc for a few days.
family sharing was (and maybe still will be for digital) 10 people having access to one game library, and two of those people can access it simultaneously: the main person's account, and one other person out of the 10, anywhere else in the world. so, not really anything like "handing someone a disc for a few days." also, there was/is to be a way to trade used digital games for credit toward other purchases.

Ultimately, for me, the benefits were not worth the price of "always online" DRM.
---
Jack Thompson is so disbarred, he's not even allowed to practice the law of gravity. - Kotomo
#7lastrockerPosted 11/4/2013 11:31:16 PM
steveboblarry posted...
I like Jim Sterling I think I have only disagreed with him on only one issue which had to do with gender in games or something akin to that.

i forget what exactly it was too, but im with you. something maybe relating to Anita that it seemed he hadn't cheeked facts before reporting. but i generally think he is a sound and rational voice that stands out against the seemingly growing number of industry-paid gaming journalists.

it makes a lot of sense in light of the bizarre and vague, frustrated and angry, tweets being made recently.
#8NeoMonkPosted 11/5/2013 12:01:32 AM
This all started with Sessler (a MS ponyboy) crying about his livelyhood being taken from him...
What Jim clarified in that video was known about literally hours after Sesslers whinny rants.
Sony was simply following protocol as this is how it's been done before & that's not about to change.
Why do it the day before launch? well that's probably the million dollar question as it's really irrelevant by then. If that event was held this weekend or Let's say even next weekend there could be something "nefarous" to be worried about. Hell even Marcus Beer clarified that this lil event "debacle" if you can even call it that has NOTHING to do with us as gamers, none of us are affected. If sony was trying to hide anything was probably the day 1 patch info.. Since that's about the "worst" we've heard from & that has actually been confirmed by them.

Meanwhile the response by those who have NOTHING to gain from this "shadiness" the XB1 Drones decided to make much more noise about that than be worried about what's going on in their camp.
With the much more worrisome rumors which were then confirmed of lower resolutions across the board on most launch tittles for the XB1. It's expected to flag waive, we've all done it up until now.
But there is 1 thing plaguing MS that people just can't defend so they toss it under the rug.
Sony is by far not perfect but they've had such a lead for so long people are chomping at the bit to trash them for anything (like needing to be online via WIFI to use Remote Play on the VITA... I mean somehow ppl didn't catch this 6 months ago).

Both consoles have issues, I can agree with you on that. Hell it would do us all a favor from w/e camp you're in to admit to that and to be concerned. It concerns me to be dependent on day 1 patches just like it concerns me that the xbox one has resolution issues even thought I don't plan to get one right away.
Competition is good all around, It's not a clear cut benefit to simply have 1 clear winner.

*Prepares flameshield*
---
"The Xbox One board isn't the place for personal anecdotes, joke topics or fanboy affair." Gamefaqs Moderator
#9gameboybrycePosted 11/5/2013 12:22:23 AM
NeoMonk posted...
This all started with Sessler (a MS ponyboy) crying about his livelyhood being taken from him...
What Jim clarified in that video was known about literally hours after Sesslers whinny rants.
Sony was simply following protocol as this is how it's been done before & that's not about to change.
Why do it the day before launch? well that's probably the million dollar question as it's really irrelevant by then. If that event was held this weekend or Let's say even next weekend there could be something "nefarous" to be worried about. Hell even Marcus Beer clarified that this lil event "debacle" if you can even call it that has NOTHING to do with us as gamers, none of us are affected. If sony was trying to hide anything was probably the day 1 patch info.. Since that's about the "worst" we've heard from & that has actually been confirmed by them.

Meanwhile the response by those who have NOTHING to gain from this "shadiness" the XB1 Drones decided to make much more noise about that than be worried about what's going on in their camp.
With the much more worrisome rumors which were then confirmed of lower resolutions across the board on most launch tittles for the XB1. It's expected to flag waive, we've all done it up until now.
But there is 1 thing plaguing MS that people just can't defend so they toss it under the rug.
Sony is by far not perfect but they've had such a lead for so long people are chomping at the bit to trash them for anything (like needing to be online via WIFI to use Remote Play on the VITA... I mean somehow ppl didn't catch this 6 months ago).

Both consoles have issues, I can agree with you on that. Hell it would do us all a favor from w/e camp you're in to admit to that and to be concerned. It concerns me to be dependent on day 1 patches just like it concerns me that the xbox one has resolution issues even thought I don't plan to get one right away.
Competition is good all around, It's not a clear cut benefit to simply have 1 clear winner.

*Prepares flameshield*

I completely agree. I don't think the PS4 is going to launch as the perfect system. I think it will have it's technical hiccups concerning the online infrastructure and the OS because most major electronic devices do. Even then I don't think it's going to be such a drastic problem that people are going to be returning PS4's left and right. I am not worried about hardware issues however because Sony has proven that they make quality hardware that last. I have a Vita that I bought Day 1 and it works perfectly fine. I have a 40GB PS3 Phat that I got in 07 that still works fine (save for Skyrim which I think if I continue playing on the system it'll break it). I got a PS2 a year after it launched and it lasted until 2008 when the disk tray wouldn't come out so I broke it to get my game out. I trust them to make good hardware.

As far as Day 1 patches go I do think they shouldn't have Day 1 patches but at least in Sony's case the patch patches in mostly online related features so if you planned on never connecting your PS4 you won't be missing those features. And for those same people they can call Sony and get the patch for the DVD/Blu-Ray features sent to them on a disc.
Microsoft on the other hand require a Day 1 patch to even function at all. This is a bigger problem to me but of course the Microsoft supporters and the gaming journalist like to overlook this one glaring fact.
---
This board has become a haven for Sony trolls, you have no idea what it is like going to sleep each night punching your pillow furiously.~TrashBoat
LMAO
#10scoobydoobydontPosted 11/5/2013 12:45:45 AM
He doesn't have a point. He's literally (and figuratively) all round, squishy curves. Every Sterling "point" is just regurgitated, entitled forum whining (*cough*NeoGAF) and only the entitled (and incredibly credulous) are impressed by the transparent pandering to forum group think. Game companies have every right to be as vague and secretive as they want. They are a business, and have no obligation to support better "games journalism" (not their business) or offer any info up to their consumers beyond basic point of sale info printed on the packaging.

And Sessler was entirely right about the absurdity of what Sony was doing from his POV, but the Sessler thing doesn't even belong in this argument. But what can you expect from someone who doesn't ever fact check and is unaware that Games on Demand actually go in sale and drop in price regularly (both things Sterling the idiot expressly claimed didn't happen to justify his anti-xbone rantings). I can see why known pony trolls like Neomonk and company are a fan though.
---
"I don't hate people, I just feel better when they're not around." - Charles Bukowski
http://i.imgur.com/mRh5ifp.png