In Truth, won't the XBone just win this generation?

#1Seth56Posted 11/4/2013 10:21:00 PM(edited)
It is sad, yes. I do not enjoy Microsoft, nor do I plan on picking up a ps4. We can argue all day about games and specs, although it does come down to the PlayStation 4 having better specs - that's just a fact. However, regardless if Microsoft loses the online gaming community across the internet, there will still be the never changing young kids, the parent, the average man whom knows nothing of the console. Microsoft has made a name for itself with the 360, and I think it's going to stay. So, even though many gamers prefer the PlayStation, I do not believe that it will win this generation due to the vast majority of everyone else who will just pick up Microsoft because it's Microsoft and XBox and Halo. Thoughts?

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that the Xbone is going for the whole Multi-Media entertainment system that will likely appeal to many more than just the gaming community.
#2GuitaristMattPosted 11/4/2013 10:21:36 PM
Well, they haven't "won" twice in a row now, but we'll see. Hopefully the 360 and PS3 will get ahead of the Wii in the next 2 years.
---
Question about the PS4? Check here vvv
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/67619422
#3Seth56(Topic Creator)Posted 11/4/2013 10:25:23 PM
I know they haven't won a single year yet, but it has in the hearts of some gamers, and that spawned the gamers loyal to the XBox which grew up mainly on shooters. I'm also trying to consider the consumer base of this gaming generation.
#4straymatterPosted 11/4/2013 10:27:31 PM
I agree, I feel Xbox is Xbox and will have mass appeal for what it has to offer, will attract many demographics, while each console has something different to offer and are great in their own right.
#5GuitaristMattPosted 11/4/2013 10:27:55 PM
They need a better grasp of the global market still.
---
Question about the PS4? Check here vvv
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/67619422
#6Seth56(Topic Creator)Posted 11/4/2013 10:30:11 PM
GuitaristMatt posted...
They need a better grasp of the global market still.

This is true.
#7Cowboy082288Posted 11/4/2013 10:44:53 PM
Seth56 posted...
It is sad, yes. I do not enjoy Microsoft, nor do I plan on picking up a ps4. We can argue all day about games and specs, although it does come down to the PlayStation 4 having better specs - that's just a fact. However, regardless if Microsoft loses the online gaming community across the internet, there will still be the never changing young kids, the parent, the average man whom knows nothing of the console. Microsoft has made a name for itself with the 360, and I think it's going to stay. So, even though many gamers prefer the PlayStation, I do not believe that it will win this generation due to the vast majority of everyone else who will just pick up Microsoft because it's Microsoft and XBox and Halo. Thoughts?

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that the Xbone is going for the whole Multi-Media entertainment system that will likely appeal to many more than just the gaming community.

.... I got to be honest with ya dude. Your whole way of thinking about this is a little silly. This isn't a football game, they don't put 'units sold' up on a score board at the end of a console generation and declare a 'winner'.

I mean honestly if you really wanted to declare winners from the last gen of gaming it would be the iOS and android platform. Those two have gained HUGE market share compared to the other platforms over the last 5 years or so.

Like any other industry it's just companies competing for market share. Sony so far has only really lost in the mobile gaming space, well at least that is my opinion, I think it's unlikely they will release another handheld device after the Vita. Though it's worth noting that sony does have gakai now and their own smartphone + Xperia tablets (both use android), and will use this to compete in the mobile space in a new way.

As for consoles..... well last I heard they are releasing the PS4 so yeah..... I think they are going to be around for a little while in the console market.

I mean the real winners is us, the gamers. We have more options and ways to game than ever before. Everything from the most casual smartphone game to the most hardcore '24/7 MMO dedicate your life to this' type of game. We also have a WIDE variety of choice in what hardware we use.

It's amazing though that as the gaming scene has gotten better and better, somehow gamers have gotten whinier and whinier.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam/iOS - cowboyoni
#8FordanaPosted 11/4/2013 10:45:30 PM
Here are my thoughts on the xbone. They completely lost my support with the initial plans for launch (pre day one patch), and i had no interest in the integrated tv and mandatory kinect bundle. Well i waited too long to preorder a ps4 and just went ahead with the xbone since there were preorders left for it (i believe i may have even gotten the very last one as the bundle i attempted to get sold out as i was checking out). Now the more i wait the more excited i get about it and am interested in seeing how these new features play out.

Hopefully after it launches i can say that im satisfied with my decision. Price not being a factor for me, at the end of the day the xbone just has more. Also, controller controller controller. Lets just hope it doesnt rrod.

I honestly hate ms but props for the innovation. That being said i am still getting a ps4 when they hit shelves.
---
Slaximum
things are gettin weird...
#9gameboybrycePosted 11/4/2013 10:52:11 PM
I doubt Microsoft will "win" this generation. Parents tend to buy their kids the more popular console. It just so happens that the PS4 is the more preferred console by gamers right now (and unless you haven't been gaming that long you'd know that ONLY core gamers and the few parents who can get their hands on one buy a console at launch and in the first year when it's still at the original price). It also helps that the PS4 is cheaper which will make a lot of parents looking to buy their kid the new system. With that in mind it's easy to see a lot of parents buying their kids a PS4. Of course there will be the kids who want a Xbox out of brand loyalty.

You also have to take into account that even this current gen Microsoft ended up losing in terms of how many consoles sold. GTAV sold more PS3's than 360s by a nice size amount. People think Xbox is a bigger brand name than Playstation and it's not. The 360 won the hearts of many yes, but Playstation has been around the block for a lot longer and they still continue to be the gamers choice.
---
This board has become a haven for Sony trolls, you have no idea what it is like going to sleep each night punching your pillow furiously.~TrashBoat
LMAO
#10lastrockerPosted 11/4/2013 11:05:02 PM
try to remember though that before this current generation MS were the underdogs. it took a lot of them making the right decisions before SONY to get people to jump on board. the perception then was the PS was "the 'gaming' console," while the xbox was some faux, 2nd rate console made by an outsider company trying to cash in. i remember the 360 taking a lot of flak from joe public for a while before it became established as the "cool" console

it might be different this time though since MS has kind of established themselves in the industry already. they were newer and not quite trusted. i think in the long run though, the 'naive' consumers will follow the "core" audience. (for lack of better words, sorry.) MS made the mistake of believing the "core" market was irrelevant in their ambitions, and that they would be blind consumers of any product in the market, but they've obviously seen fault in their thinking.

the Wii and the Kinect were both seen as hugely successful in terms of initial numbers. The public ate them up as they seemed so innovative, but it seems that in the long run they are being remembered more as being gimmicks. i think the public will catch on and start being a bit more selective and weary of new investments in the future.