In Truth, won't the XBone just win this generation?

#21Seth56(Topic Creator)Posted 11/5/2013 12:10:19 AM
ArkonBlade posted...
MS's problem is Sony's Problem the start of last gen but far far worse, Sony came out with a high priced console that yeah sure may have been cheap because it had a blu ray player in it but most people only cared about playing games on it. Most people did not want to spend $600 on a console to play video games.

It took Sony a few price drops, some software, and coming up with some thing really very smart like PS+ to bring people back around to them.

Sony just shot them selves in the foot with that one and MS pretty much just chopped off its own head with what it first came out with for the Xbone. The wise decision to remove all the DRM, no used games, and having to have Kinect plugged in at all times did help them a bit but there arrogance about it at events like E3 just Burned so may. There was such a F U attitude deal with it you A holes from them.

Then we still have the problem with Kinect. most people DON'T want it. MS can try and shove it down the throats of people all they want. All they are doing is killing sales of there own console. driving up the price of a machine that should be $349 or less. It has less power then the PS4 so it should be less then the PS4 but no it cost a $100 more? It can't even do 1080p and 60FPS and they want $500 for it???

MS has made a whole other list of just other bad moves that the only chance they are going to have to make this console sell fairly well and maybe not be to far behind the PS4 is if they start doin what Sony had to do with the PS3 but a lot faster.

The price cuts are going to have to come fast. Online play is going to have to be free and or gold is going to have to include more and better things then PS+, and there going to have to keep great exclusive games coming non stop year after year and not just abandon them after a few years and start making Kinect garbage and all we see is for exclusives is halo , Gears , and forza.

Yes, but the ordinary public does not pay attention to MS blunder. They want to make their kid happy and get him the new FPS, or they think motion controls are cool (the wii) and buy it, or even for an entertainment system for those too lazy for remotes.
#22gameboybrycePosted 11/5/2013 12:10:36 AM
lastrocker posted...
Cowboy082288 posted...
Gotta disagree with that. The casual crowd has already heavily moved to things like smartphones and tablets. No dedicated gaming device is going to move them away from that.

i don't think those things really pose any threat to the real gaming community though. i saw something and was reminded of those crappy Tiger handheld systems back in the 90's. they can exist for a casual market somewhat outside the 'real.' it's kind of a separate market.

but when it comes down to it real gamers want real games. it's the involvement of "suits" trying horribly to analyze the market and incorporate casual gaming into the 'core' that seems to be the problem. something like mandatory kinect integrations, that the industry will try to push on actual game developers for legitimate console games, does actually scare the real gaming fans. while something like the GTA5 app might be an ok, add-on, casual, cute accessory to the real game, what if the future saw all games being pressured to include, and more heavily involve, such things into core gameplay mechanics?

edit: sorry, a bit more on track; i think he meant what another poster labeled "soft-core," the Cod and Madden players. not really those who have only ever played candy crush or angry birds

I think you have a good point though you have to learn how to utilize capital letters lol. I think a lot of the reason people have a fear of the smartphone/mobile market is because analyst outside the industry continue to have the misguided thought that the rise in the mobile market is going to have a negative effect on the console market. Because of this publishers and devs think they have to cater to the casual crowd with short attention spans.

What they all fail to release is this generation saw an increase in the amount of hardware in peoples homes. Add up the total units sold for the Wii, 360 and PS3 and you get higher numbers than any other previous gen. The added numbers of the 360 and PS3 alone is either over or almost higher than the total sales of the PS2 and that says a lot. The same people who only play games on their phone are not the same ones who will spend 300-500$ on a console. They never have been and they never will be. They are two completely separate markets. Once the industry sees and understands this then it'll be a good day in gaming.
---
This board has become a haven for Sony trolls, you have no idea what it is like going to sleep each night punching your pillow furiously.~TrashBoat
LMAO
#23Cowboy082288Posted 11/5/2013 12:22:33 AM
Well this is a bit off topic but I want to address something I see to much on theses boards. As soon as someone brings up mobile games, someone else will say 'candy crush and angry birds crap'. Well that is not really true anymore. Sure there are games like those on mobile devices but you can also find much more sophisticated games as well. I was just playing one a couple hours ago on my iPad.

Some examples:

http://www.jayceooi.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/ZENONIA-5.jpg

http://www.androidshock.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Rube-Works-31.png

http://www.148apps.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/InfinityBlade3-7.png

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll104/fankafan/null_zps20100316.png
---
PSN/XBL/Steam/iOS - cowboyoni
#24gameboybrycePosted 11/5/2013 12:28:55 AM
Seth56 posted...
ArkonBlade posted...
MS's problem is Sony's Problem the start of last gen but far far worse, Sony came out with a high priced console that yeah sure may have been cheap because it had a blu ray player in it but most people only cared about playing games on it. Most people did not want to spend $600 on a console to play video games.

It took Sony a few price drops, some software, and coming up with some thing really very smart like PS+ to bring people back around to them.

Sony just shot them selves in the foot with that one and MS pretty much just chopped off its own head with what it first came out with for the Xbone. The wise decision to remove all the DRM, no used games, and having to have Kinect plugged in at all times did help them a bit but there arrogance about it at events like E3 just Burned so may. There was such a F U attitude deal with it you A holes from them.

Then we still have the problem with Kinect. most people DON'T want it. MS can try and shove it down the throats of people all they want. All they are doing is killing sales of there own console. driving up the price of a machine that should be $349 or less. It has less power then the PS4 so it should be less then the PS4 but no it cost a $100 more? It can't even do 1080p and 60FPS and they want $500 for it???

MS has made a whole other list of just other bad moves that the only chance they are going to have to make this console sell fairly well and maybe not be to far behind the PS4 is if they start doin what Sony had to do with the PS3 but a lot faster.

The price cuts are going to have to come fast. Online play is going to have to be free and or gold is going to have to include more and better things then PS+, and there going to have to keep great exclusive games coming non stop year after year and not just abandon them after a few years and start making Kinect garbage and all we see is for exclusives is halo , Gears , and forza.

Yes, but the ordinary public does not pay attention to MS blunder. They want to make their kid happy and get him the new FPS, or they think motion controls are cool (the wii) and buy it, or even for an entertainment system for those too lazy for remotes.

The ordinary public won't spend $500 or even $400 on a new console. It won't be until at least the first price drop/good black friday sale before the "soft-core" decide to start picking up the newer hardware. And like I keep saying by then they will pick up the console with the larger install base and that looks to be the PS4. That's how it's always been (I would know I've been around the gaming block since the 90s) and it's not going to change. The Wii was a very special case because it was something completely new and novel and appealed to people who would never buy another console again. But the novelty of the motion controls have worn off. People have been packed away their Wiis and Kinects. Those soccer moms and grandparents got their joy out of them and then stopped using them and I know without a doubt that they aren't going to spend $500 on a newer version.
---
This board has become a haven for Sony trolls, you have no idea what it is like going to sleep each night punching your pillow furiously.~TrashBoat
LMAO
#25lastrockerPosted 11/5/2013 1:34:43 AM
@cowboy - sorry, but i did not imply that mobile games like candy crush or angry birds were "crap."
2nd, you posted screenshots as if the graphics of mobile games are indications of their "sophistication." i dont have a problem with mobile games for what they are, but as of right now, in my opinion, i have seen little more than shallow gameplay which only serves as a fun way to occupy brief moments of time.

regardless, to keep on topic, they are still two different markets and how sophisticated they actually are does little to alter the conversation of the topic.
#26SaintFC_Posted 11/5/2013 1:53:33 AM
Today's poll of the day would disagree with you TC. http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/5317

Xbox One is lower than Nintendo in peoples opinions. PS4 has a 69% advantage in the hearts and minds.
---
'The average age of the UK gamer is now 35'
#27Cowboy082288Posted 11/5/2013 2:13:03 AM
lastrocker posted...
@cowboy - sorry, but i did not imply that mobile games like candy crush or angry birds were "crap."
2nd, you posted screenshots as if the graphics of mobile games are indications of their "sophistication." i dont have a problem with mobile games for what they are, but as of right now, in my opinion, i have seen little more than shallow gameplay which only serves as a fun way to occupy brief moments of time.

regardless, to keep on topic, they are still two different markets and how sophisticated they actually are does little to alter the conversation of the topic.

When I say more sophisticated what I really mean is development time and cost of the game. Those screen shots were meant to show the different kinds of genres now appearing on mobile platforms. A 3d racing game on and iPad is no less a racing game than one on a PS Vita.

I mean you can play FF5 and soon FF6 on iOS/android. Is that game hardcore when played on a super nintendo and then a casual game when played on a tablet? It's the same game.

When you say "i have seen little more than shallow gameplay which only serves as a fun way to occupy brief moments of time", I just think you haven't seen much of what is available. I have games that require hours to beat. They are no less of a time investment than the same type of game being played on a PC/console/3DS/Vita.

As these devices become more and more powerful hardware wise, they will continue to get more and more traditional types of video games.
---
#28gameboybrycePosted 11/5/2013 2:28:30 AM
Cowboy082288 posted...
lastrocker posted...

When I say more sophisticated what I really mean is development time and cost of the game. Those screen shots were meant to show the different kinds of genres now appearing on mobile platforms. A 3d racing game on and iPad is no less a racing game than one on a PS Vita.

I mean you can play FF5 and soon FF6 on iOS/android. Is that game hardcore when played on a super nintendo and then a casual game when played on a tablet? It's the same game.

When you say "i have seen little more than shallow gameplay which only serves as a fun way to occupy brief moments of time", I just think you haven't seen much of what is available. I have games that require hours to beat. They are no less of a time investment than the same type of game being played on a PC/console/3DS/Vita.

As these devices become more and more powerful hardware wise, they will continue to get more and more traditional types of video games.

Yet is that why one of the people who makes the chips that goes into mobile phones just said they will never make a chip that is as powerful as a console at least not for a very long time.

You have a fundamental lack of understanding concerning games on a dedicated gaming device and games on a phone or tablet. For one, battery life is a HUGE issue facing all things mobile. Your average laptop gets 5-10 hours of battery life during normal use. Start playing a taxing game on it and that falls drastically. Now apply that concept to a phone and see where the problem comes in. Even if games become more sophisticated on a phone it will still never get past the issue with battery life. Playing GTAIII on your average smart phone will drain the battery in like an hour. That's perfectly the same as playing on a console right?

A game like Uncharted, TLOU, GTAV, Battlefield etc will never be playable on a phone. Games on phones are for quick bursts of 10-30 mins of play. Of course you have people who play for way longer but they're usually playing games that aren't that advanced.
---
LMAO
#29Cowboy082288Posted 11/5/2013 3:18:52 AM
gameboybryce posted...

Yet is that why one of the people who makes the chips that goes into mobile phones just said they will never make a chip that is as powerful as a console at least not for a very long time.

You have a fundamental lack of understanding concerning games on a dedicated gaming device and games on a phone or tablet. For one, battery life is a HUGE issue facing all things mobile. Your average laptop gets 5-10 hours of battery life during normal use. Start playing a taxing game on it and that falls drastically. Now apply that concept to a phone and see where the problem comes in. Even if games become more sophisticated on a phone it will still never get past the issue with battery life. Playing GTAIII on your average smart phone will drain the battery in like an hour. That's perfectly the same as playing on a console right?

A game like Uncharted, TLOU, GTAV, Battlefield etc will never be playable on a phone. Games on phones are for quick bursts of 10-30 mins of play. Of course you have people who play for way longer but they're usually playing games that aren't that advanced.

Um ok no reasonable person thinks that the new tablets/phones will be on par with a PS4 or X1. That same guy your referencing also said this:

"Yuen believes that there will be processors in Snapdragon's 800 series that will be able to do, "anything you can do on Xbox 360"".

Also I have actually programmed in the android SDK and loaded/ran those programs on my phone, so please spare me the "You have a fundamental lack of understanding" crap, it just makes you come off as being condescending.

At the end of the day I and many others already have games that disprove what you are saying. Again I'll ask, does FF6 magically become a 'casual' game when I play it on a tablet?
---