So what made Microsoft mess up the Xbox One so bad?

#1ryanm32Posted 11/5/2013 7:25:45 AM
disclaimer: I am not a big video game player and have hardly been following these things in detail. but there is a big difference between reading a blog post about it and hearing it from the people who frequent boards.

disclaimer 2: this is not a troll post. I am legitimately concerned and frustrated about conflicting reports about things.

So in your opinion and based on facts, what made Microsoft screw up the Xbox One so bad? I was encouraged to make this topic after seeing the poll of the day, and even the Wii U seems to have more buzz. Was it the used game thing I heard about? Was it marketing? Were there a few big events that occured that made them fall so low?
---
www.culturetease.bigcartel.com
www.culturetease.com
#2SinisterSlayPosted 11/5/2013 7:27:36 AM(edited)
Microsoft has horrible marketing, they always have.

The Xbox 1 was just another example of their horrible marketing.

Compare to say, Apple, that sold first gen iPhones to blackberry users, even though the iPhone lacked even simple features like copy and paste.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#3Exodus_PrimePosted 11/5/2013 7:28:12 AM
Yeah Microsoft became "Satan" or "The Devil" if you will after E3...but to answer your question in my humble opinion....the media...and fanboys.
---
Xbox One and PlayStation 4
Because I can buy both.
#4ElPolloDiablo87Posted 11/5/2013 7:28:48 AM
What have they screwed up? A bunch of Sony fanboys on the internet don't like Xbox One. In the real world it will be a different story.
---
Madre de Dios, es El Pollo Diablo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E28WrhpTzQA
#5richboy900Posted 11/5/2013 7:30:05 AM
The Kinect which really hindered the hardware.
#6SlikkSterrPosted 11/5/2013 7:30:32 AM
ryanm32 posted...
disclaimer: I am not a big video game player and have hardly been following these things in detail. but there is a big difference between reading a blog post about it and hearing it from the people who frequent boards.

disclaimer 2: this is not a troll post. I am legitimately concerned and frustrated about conflicting reports about things.

So in your opinion and based on facts, what made Microsoft screw up the Xbox One so bad? I was encouraged to make this topic after seeing the poll of the day, and even the Wii U seems to have more buzz. Was it the used game thing I heard about? Was it marketing? Were there a few big events that occured that made them fall so low?

It remains to be seen if they messed it up. The voting population of gamefaqs should not be used as a benchmark. Just because you have a vocal Internet population giving one opinion doesn't mean that represents the non vocal consumer who doesn't even know what a message board is.
#7Dev0311Posted 11/5/2013 7:34:22 AM
Kinect
#8cruelbirdPosted 11/5/2013 7:34:58 AM
Yeah, OP. Your karma says you've been coming to this site long enough. The thing is all this rage toward MS and all this renewed confidence in Sony - it's the same people who have been acting like that since the first Xbox came out.

I don't think MS has screwed anything up. They're going to sell a bazillion consoles and Sony is going to sell even more consoles and still slide deeper into debt. Same as it's been for 10+ years now.

The doom and gloom comes from a few crazy fanboys opportunists who see MS's (frequent) screwups as a sign that MS shouldn't be in the console business, and that they should hand their market share back over to Sony. Those are the "I told you so" people who blog about how MS is doing this wrong, and ruined this, and killed that franchise. I used to be one of those people when the PS2 v Xbox thing was going on. I grew out of it, but I'm afraid some of the people wishing for the downfall of the One may be hitting their mid to late 20s now. They will never grow out of it.
---
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/3695/sigbase.jpg
#9VobeDarkElfPosted 11/5/2013 7:38:02 AM
Actually what most people don't know is that Microsoft has had this wet dream for decades now of creating an all in one multimedia box for your home. I have seen them talk about it at shows many times but they always fail at it. Anyone remember windows media center? Do you even realize its on your PC?

Due to the popularity of the 360 Microsoft figured this is their chance to finally make it happen. This focus on multimedia gimmicks is what's bringing down the new box and driving up the price. And the kinect is a big part of that design.
#10MRL3G3NDPosted 11/5/2013 7:38:47 AM
IMHO

they got stupid and greedy, they are bent on capturing a casual audience, and they dropped the ball on their core audience.

We wanted a kick ass gaming machine...they gave us a cable box that works with your cable...oh and it plays games too.

They focused on faulty unsuccessful hardware (Kinect), to only their advantage. Google NuAds...the real reason MS wants everyone to own a Kinect...their is no incentive gaming or otherwise to warrant it's $100 price hike.

The truth is MS knows that they need to capture an audience other than core gamers...what they didn't factor in is that...when casuals go to buy their system, they usually get the system recommended by gamers...or the most popular system....the most popular system is not going to be the weakest, it's not going to be the most expensive...

They are trying to make a profit day 1 from the xb1, and traditionally that's not how it's done...normally consoles sell at a loss for the first couple of years...the idea behind this is to get it in as many hands as they can, so software sales will be higher...

Do you honestly think they will be the software leader this gen? With nothing but bad publicity since day one...the only people who will be lining up for this this year are hardcore xbox fans...

I wish them the best, I wish MS was as loyal as it's fans are to them
---
The Closest You'll Ever Come to Afghanistan in Gaming...
http://youtu.be/GIhqUiQJt6Q