Will Microsoft ever win a console war?

#41flamesaber111Posted 11/5/2013 10:55:41 PM
AFreeby posted...
TheCyborgNinja posted...
A console war is a win when the competition is extremely close. When it's not, you get lots of turds because the winner isn't trying and the loser has nothing left to give.

That's simply not true. Some of the best games ever were made for the PS2, and Sony was so far ahead of the competition at that point it wasn't even a war, it was a slaughter. The reason so many of us want Sony to dominate is because we know what it is like when they are doing well. Great games still get made, and they are generally pretty hands off to the gaming community.

This so much.
---
Can't wait for October!
Pokemon Y FC: 3609-1106-5751
#42GreenMage7Posted 11/5/2013 10:56:20 PM
gameboybryce posted...
teehee23 posted...
Nintendo was once fined 275 million for price fixing and sony allowed 80 million users personal info to fall into criminal organizations hands. Gaming nerds are quick to forgive. The general gaming population doesn't care about Microsoft's E3 anymore. They want Xbox #1 and Microsoft won't make the same mistakes again. The backlash helped Microsoft and the Xbox brand to be stronger because now it's clear to them what needs to be done.

Gaming is about the games and the Xbox brand always has the bestest exclusives.

Hahahahaha seriously, you're funny. Okay on to my rebuttal.

Anonymous is not a criminal organization. Know your facts please. Plus understand why they actually took PSN down. It was because Sony filed charges against GeoHot for hacking the PS3 and releasing the keys to it. They actually did nothing with the info stolen, they just wanted to get Sony back for what happened to GeoHot.

Who "won" the console war has always been about who sold the most consoles not who made the most profit. Technically Nintendo won this current gen in terms of pure numbers but given the circumstances surrounding the Wii most gamers don't include them. So it's really just between Sony and Microsoft. Microsoft was winning up until last year when the PS3 started overtaking it in WW sales. So given the benchmark that has always been used Sony is now winning the console war. Yes, Microsoft may have made more money this gen but Sony has the more consoles in the homes which is the real benchmark.

Either Nintendo won by selling the most consoles or Microsoft won by making the most money. It's one or the other. Pick.

I have no idea why selling units that you literally lose money on is the metric for success and why one of the big three gets thrown out because it's convenient for your argument, but whatever man.
#43gameboybrycePosted 11/5/2013 11:52:45 PM
GreenMage7 posted...
gameboybryce posted...
teehee23 posted...
Nintendo was once fined 275 million for price fixing and sony allowed 80 million users personal info to fall into criminal organizations hands. Gaming nerds are quick to forgive. The general gaming population doesn't care about Microsoft's E3 anymore. They want Xbox #1 and Microsoft won't make the same mistakes again. The backlash helped Microsoft and the Xbox brand to be stronger because now it's clear to them what needs to be done.

Gaming is about the games and the Xbox brand always has the bestest exclusives.

Hahahahaha seriously, you're funny. Okay on to my rebuttal.

Anonymous is not a criminal organization. Know your facts please. Plus understand why they actually took PSN down. It was because Sony filed charges against GeoHot for hacking the PS3 and releasing the keys to it. They actually did nothing with the info stolen, they just wanted to get Sony back for what happened to GeoHot.

Who "won" the console war has always been about who sold the most consoles not who made the most profit. Technically Nintendo won this current gen in terms of pure numbers but given the circumstances surrounding the Wii most gamers don't include them. So it's really just between Sony and Microsoft. Microsoft was winning up until last year when the PS3 started overtaking it in WW sales. So given the benchmark that has always been used Sony is now winning the console war. Yes, Microsoft may have made more money this gen but Sony has the more consoles in the homes which is the real benchmark.

Either Nintendo won by selling the most consoles or Microsoft won by making the most money. It's one or the other. Pick.

I have no idea why selling units that you literally lose money on is the metric for success and why one of the big three gets thrown out because it's convenient for your argument, but whatever man.

I said technically Nintendo did win. But considering most gamers (the only people who care about the "console war") don't consider the Wii as a competitor to the 360 or PS3, hell even Sony and Microsoft didn't consider it a competitor (they told people to buy one along with their consoles), they don't consider the Wii a legitimate when for Nintendo. Units sold has always been the benchmark because it is the indicator by which you can judge a company's install base. In this regard like I said technically Nintendo won but, since gamers only consider Sony and Microsoft to be true competitors Sony won, or is winning currently (and more likely until both systems stop being sold).
---
This board has become a haven for Sony trolls, you have no idea what it is like going to sleep each night punching your pillow furiously.~TrashBoat
LMAO
#44GuitaristMattPosted 11/5/2013 11:56:49 PM
GreenMage7 posted...

Microsoft made the least money though. In every way they are currently in last. If anything, they have the achievement of taking over the US market only.
---
Question about the PS4? Check here vvv
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/67619422
#45LEGEND_KILLERRRPosted 11/6/2013 12:14:18 AM
- It is official, Xbox 360 has outsold PS3 worldwide

fallen
Currently Online
293 posts since 24/04/10
Recent Badges:
fallen 56 minutes ago
As I and other astute number crunchers would have suggested...the PS2 combining gave people an opening to claim PS3 was in the lead, but the numbers didn't supprt that.

Today Sony announces 80 million PS3's sold today Nov 6. Microsoft announced the same on Oct 17

Links:

http://gematsu.com/2013/11/worldwide-playstation-3-sales-reach-80-million

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/17/xbox-360-80-million-sold-and-counting

Edit: oops I meant this in the sales forum? Not sure the protocol here...Guess I will repost it in sales?
---
Look out!
#46Izec(Topic Creator)Posted 11/6/2013 12:44:51 AM
LEGEND_KILLERRR posted...
Today Sony announces 80 million PS3's sold today Nov 6. Microsoft announced the same on Oct 17

"sold to retailers"
---
Throwback Mode 4 Lyfe
#47GuitaristMattPosted 11/6/2013 1:14:03 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#48NSGraphitePosted 11/6/2013 1:21:16 AM
khardbored posted...
You don't win a console war. And even if you could, what would it matter? I enjoyed games on nearly every single console that has released in America. And I plan to continue to do so despite infantile posts degrading people over their choice of console.

Sony quite obviously "won" with the PS2. No one can argue against this, so yes, its possible to "win" a console generation.
---
http://m.quickmeme.com/meme/3va9jp/
I don't always Troll on the internet. But when I do, I make it the Xbox-One forums...
#49Madness2012Posted 11/6/2013 1:31:17 AM
stawg007 posted...
MS went from 20+ million sold to 80+million and counting

I'd say they'd consider that a win

Totally agree....
#50CyborgTwentyPosted 11/6/2013 4:43:31 AM
*Nintendo enters the console business and reigns supreme for 2 generations straight*
*Sony enters the console business and reigns supreme for 2 generations straight*
*Microsoft enters the console business and is barely able to keep second place 2 generations in a row*