Will Microsoft ever win a console war?

#81THE_PS1_PATRIOTPosted 11/9/2013 11:54:46 PM
MetroidFan9999 posted...
I laugh a little inside when "...but...but....PROFITS!" shows it's face on a video game message board.

Indeed. These companies aren't giving you any money. Nintendo and Sony would owe me a ton then!!
---
PLAYSTATION PATRIOT
#82James_4ortPosted 11/10/2013 12:42:15 AM
teehee23 posted...
GreenMage7 posted...
teehee23 posted...
Microsoft already won the war.
How did newbie Microsoft defeat Nintendo with a higher priced console during the Xbox Original / GCN era?
Why weren't Nintendo's 1st party titles enough?
How did Nintendo and sony allow Microsoft to sell 80 million Xbox360's despite no sales from the land of Japan?
How did Nintendo and sony allow Xbox360 become the bestest selling console in the U.S?

They didn't allow it.
Microsoft just decided to kick their asses.

And they're going to do it again with Xbox #1.
The most powerful console doesn't win the sales war.
Ask 3DO.
Ask Atari Jaguar.
Ask N64.
Ask ps3.
Ask ps4.

A console with this much pre-release consumer backlash has also never "won the war". Being the most expensive console doesn't help too much either. You maybe were on to something there until you went too far.

Nintendo was once fined 275 million for price fixing and sony allowed 80 million users personal info to fall into criminal organizations hands. Gaming nerds are quick to forgive. The general gaming population doesn't care about Microsoft's E3 anymore. They want Xbox #1 and Microsoft won't make the same mistakes again. The backlash helped Microsoft and the Xbox brand to be stronger because now it's clear to them what needs to be done.

Gaming is about the games and the Xbox brand always has the bestest exclusives.

I lol'd
---
~House of Red Leaves~
Let no1 misguide you. The true hearted will fall to the glory of eternity, and as the darkness arrises the light within will shine true
#83James_4ortPosted 11/10/2013 12:55:08 AM
YodaCrackers posted...
PS2: 120 million (at PS3's launch)
Xbox: 25 million

PS3: 80 million
360: 80 million

If you went back to 2005 and showed people the PS3/360 numbers no one would believe you. The PS2 completely dominated the industry last gen. There was no contest. For Microsoft to come back with their second console and tie the PlayStation is a bigger victory than even they could have imagined. Sony made so many mistakes and Microsoft took advantage. Xbox was solidified as a household name synonymous with gaming just as PlayStation had once been.

The PS3 had a bit of a surge later in its life but it was too little, too late. The Xbox brand has made nothing but progress in the last 8 years, while PlayStation has completely fallen behind the glory days. And that is precisely why Sony is fighting so hard now to retake the crown. The competition is fierce. Xbox and PlayStation are equally strong brands now with Xbox dominating English-speaking countries and PlayStation more popular in Europe.

But there is no way I would consider this gen a loss for Microsoft. It was an absolute win for the Xbox brand, a win for Nintendo, and a loss for Sony. I can't imagine Sony seeing it any other way either. If you're only looking at the hardware numbers, or the PS3 passing the 360 by a few thousand units, then you are completely missing the bigger picture.

Soooo we shouldn't look at the 360 launching a year early, 33% of the systems completely failing after 2 months, having less exclusives, having lower rated exclusives, no 1080p support (no native 1080p, not even movies), no wifi support, no HDD support.. But bc they tied the ps3, that means they won?

No... If they hadn't released so far ahead of Sony, it wouldn't have survived.
---
~House of Red Leaves~
Let no1 misguide you. The true hearted will fall to the glory of eternity, and as the darkness arrises the light within will shine true
#84Deja Blue 03Posted 11/10/2013 1:11:53 AM
They already did and I wouldn't be surprised if they took this one.
---
I love Owen Wilson. When he tried to commit suicide, I went on a hunger strike. -PresidentSears
#85James_4ortPosted 11/10/2013 1:13:30 AM
http://www.ign.com/blogs/bravo.4/2013/03/20/ps3-vs-360-exclusives-metascores-fullretail-games-updated-3202013

Ps3 won

More exclusives, better rated exclusives.
---
~House of Red Leaves~
#86darkness1018Posted 11/13/2013 7:19:44 PM
Nope, I don't think they'll ever win one. If the XB1 doesn't do well this may be their last console. Its worldwide sales that count not just the US, we are not the only country that matters & I say for games Japan is more important. I'm lucky to have a job that sends me to Japan quite often & I gotta say I enjoy living, gaming & working in Japan way more then the US.
---
PSN: nightwing2099 (PS3 & PS Vita)
Systems I own: PS2, PS3, PSP, PSV, Original Xbox
#87MuflagginPosted 11/13/2013 9:41:08 PM
I mean some would consider them the winner of this gen so I'd say yes.
---
"In the real world. You see that's where most people live and that's where Lara Croft is more well-known than Mario." - LuminescentRule
#88freesithPosted 11/13/2013 9:45:32 PM
James_4ort posted...
http://www.ign.com/blogs/bravo.4/2013/03/20/ps3-vs-360-exclusives-metascores-fullretail-games-updated-3202013

Ps3 won

More exclusives, better rated exclusives.

When it comes to games, then yes.

MS inadvertently admits it.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-on-xbox-one-we-are-winning-the-games-message/1100-6414898/
---
I take solace in knowing that consoles can never cause a Steam outage.
#89181stCommanderPosted 11/13/2013 9:54:21 PM
Lol the people saying MS made more money than Nintendo clearly doesn't know about the DS and 3DS.
---
Join The Galactic Empire, like the Imperial Fleet facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/theimperialfleet
#90dnmtPosted 11/14/2013 2:33:06 AM
darkness1018 posted...
Nope, I don't think they'll ever win one. If the XB1 doesn't do well this may be their last console..

Very true, several potential CEOs have already floated the idea of selling off the Xbox division due to its continued money hemorrhaging. The future for the Xbone is uncertain at best.