Microsoft Should Have Taken Sony's Approach

#1gameboybrycePosted 11/5/2013 7:10:59 PM
After watching Mark Cerny's talk from the Developer13 Conference I realized the big reason devs are preferring the PS4 over the X1 and why studios like Bungie and Blizzard and Bethesda are working closely with Sony: Sony listened to them. Cerny explained how in the process of the development of the PS4 Sony created a questionnaire and sent it to the top devs in the industry and asked a huge number of questions pertaining to what they want in a console. One of the main things devs said they wanted was simplicity and a unified GPU.

I completely understand Microsoft's choosing of the esRAM as the natural evolution of the architecture of the 360. However, I think not have developer input in the process of their console was and is a bad thing especially when your competition is doing it. It's clear that devs are gravitating towards the console that's easy to develop for and I think Microsoft could have had that if they would've chosen to make a video game console before a multimedia device. All of their choices in hardware architecture shows that the video game aspect came second to the all in one multimedia device and it's clear devs are taking note of this.

Instead of throwing money at devs and expecting them to jump to catch it Microsoft should have been fostering relationships with them the way Sony has been by trying to give them the console they want.
---
This board has become a haven for Sony trolls, you have no idea what it is like going to sleep each night punching your pillow furiously.~TrashBoat
LMAO
#269bladezPosted 11/5/2013 7:13:30 PM
Xbox one offers more variety. Between cloud and kinect, if done right will separate the two. Ps4 offers nothing but better graphics.
#3BraxSimeonPosted 11/5/2013 7:14:19 PM
The PS3 had HALF the RAM of the 360, and it survived just fine. There's way too much focus put on specifics of the architecture 'round here.
---
GT: Brax
13 12 4 X
#4KID VIDPosted 11/5/2013 7:20:40 PM
I'm getting an Xbox One and I'm not interested in the PS4. That being said, I think you do make a good point, TC. I'm glad you're able to come across with an intelligent post instead of the usual "LOL XBONE SUX" comments.
---
Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KIDD VIDD
#5RagnoraokPosted 11/5/2013 7:26:33 PM(edited)
you mean MS should have just upgraded the 360 and make a ton of empty, "Greatness Awaits" ads?

MS is taking the proper path; choosing diversity over power is the best choice for next gen. Lets see how well the ps4 does once ppl realize that the specs were grossly blown out of proportion. The ps4 has nothing to fall back on.....

Edit: After rereading your post, I disagree more. MS fostered an intense relationship with EA, Activision, the NFL, and select cable providers. The reason for the DRM was pushed by major developers who later abandoned MS once they saw the backlash. Nonetheless, MS listened just as much to the devs as Sony, but applied different tactics to appease them.
---
Here at gamefaqs, you are either a troll, noob, or fanboy.....not like it matters, we are all losers anyways.
#6gameboybryce(Topic Creator)Posted 11/5/2013 7:24:18 PM
Look at what happened to the PS3. Their system was very hard to developer on which ended up making third party devs give the worse version of their games to it for years. Many, many games ran better on the 360.
The fact that Microsoft chose an exotic piece of hardware in the esRAM is the same thing.

And people please stop using the cloud as the answer to all the Xbox One woes. Like many, including Cerny himself, have said, the cloud is useful for tasks such as offloading AI, dedicated servers, etc. The cloud will not make the game look or run better and it will not do much in terms of gameplay mechanics either.
As far as the Kinect, I honestly don't see third party devs utilizing it in the way Microsoft and their supporters think they will. And any Kinect related features they put into the games can be implemented into the PS4 versions too because PS4 has a camera too. I have yet to see even one big time dev speak about how Kinect will change the way we game.

Microsoft should have focused on what devs wanted over deciding to make a device that can snap apps and watch TV on your Xbox on your TV.
---
This board has become a haven for Sony trolls, you have no idea what it is like going to sleep each night punching your pillow furiously.~TrashBoat
LMAO
#7orestes1981Posted 11/5/2013 7:24:42 PM
69bladez posted...
Xbox one offers more variety. Between cloud and kinect, if done right will separate the two. Ps4 offers nothing but better graphics.

The PS4 has the cloud, processing power, and pretty much everything the Xbox One can do...but better. I guess the only difference is the Kinect is bigger than the PS4 Eye.
---
Cappin' thine enemy is not exactly something Jesus would do, it's what Suge Knight would do.
-Bill Maher
#8RagnoraokPosted 11/5/2013 7:32:25 PM
orestes1981 posted...
69bladez posted...

The PS4 has the cloud, processing power, and pretty much everything the Xbox One can do...but better. I guess the only difference is the Kinect is bigger than the PS4 Eye.

what a flat out lie. The ps4 cannot handle the clud on par with the X1 because the X1 has more OS multitasking capabilities. Anyways, i missed the Sony conference confirming the tv integration, voice command, instant switching, etc, but I have heard that the ps4 will not have basic media support at launch. -_-
---
Here at gamefaqs, you are either a troll, noob, or fanboy.....not like it matters, we are all losers anyways.
#9orestes1981Posted 11/5/2013 7:34:53 PM
Ragnoraok posted...
orestes1981 posted...
69bladez posted...

what a flat out lie. The ps4 cannot handle the clud on par with the X1 because the X1 has more OS multitasking capabilities. Anyways, i missed the Sony conference confirming the tv integration, voice command, instant switching, etc, but I have heard that the ps4 will not have basic media support at launch. -_-

So, Microsoft will be more effective at things that do not involve video games? Sounds like a sound business decision in the console video game market. If people want a TV switcher, they can get good ones that cost 1/10th the price of the Xbox One.
---
Cappin' thine enemy is not exactly something Jesus would do, it's what Suge Knight would do.
-Bill Maher
#10gameboybryce(Topic Creator)Posted 11/5/2013 7:35:07 PM
Ragnoraok posted...
you mean MS should have just upgraded the 360 and make a ton of empty, "Greatness Awaits" ads?

MS is taking the proper path; choosing diversity over power is the best choice for next gen. Lets see how well the ps4 does once ppl realize that the specs were grossly blown out of proportion. The ps4 has nothing to fall back on.....

One, how are Sony's ads empty? Where are the hype videos from Microsoft for the Xbox One?

Second, yes, they should have made an upgraded 360 honestly. As a gamer who speaks for the majority of gamers Microsoft's focus on being the only device in your living room is foolish. I'm not knocking all the features that the X1 has but Microsoft's focus on being a jack of all trades will leave them as a master of none. Microsoft incorrectly assumes that the casual non gaming crowd will spend $500 on a device that they will associate as a gaming device. Like I said no big time dev has come out and talked about how the Kinect will help them utilize their next gen gaming dream. The Kinect is a dead dream that Microsoft should never have invested that much money into again. The motion control fad is gone and passed. Sales for the Wii dropped off back in 2011 while sales for the PS3 and 360 continued to pick up steam. Sales for the 360 (with Kinect) dropped off in 2012 while sales for the PS3 kept going strong. Kinect sales went strong for awhile then continued to drop off.

To any analysts this would show that motion controls were like 3D. Fun at the point in time but now let's go back to what we know and love. Microsoft decided that people still wanted the Kinect even though market evidence was of the contrary.

How exactly is that next gen gaming?
---
LMAO