Battle of the gimmicks: Is Kinect worth it?

#1Dev0311Posted 11/5/2013 6:13:54 PM
Battle of the gimmicks: Is Kinect worth it? - Results (100 votes)
Yes
26% (26 votes)
No
74% (74 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Wii's gimmick paid off, people loved the new motion controls.

Nintendo had to sacrifice hardware performance to go this route, though. Now it looks like MS is trying the same strategy, sacrificing hardware performance to include motion controls.

Will people love the new Kinect? I'm not sure, especially cause it's not new anymore and there seems to be too much focus on ads and TV features.

Plus, there's no game like Wii Sports which was revolutionary back then. Kinect Sports Rivals is something people already played before. I don't think it will be enough to sell a $500 console. There is just nothing new and exciting enough about Kinect right now.

What do you think?
#2SythisTaruPosted 11/5/2013 6:16:54 PM
People have literally no idea what the Kinect 2 is capable of. It's just a matter of time until a dev uses it.
#3SunDevil77Posted 11/5/2013 6:18:23 PM
I love the supplemental things that Kinect can do. Not too much a fan of full Kinect games, but the tech is incredible.
---
Hell, it's about time.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#469bladezPosted 11/5/2013 6:19:53 PM
The potential is there. Between motion control, heart rate effects, voice, etc.... Horror games could be incredible.
#5BraxSimeonPosted 11/5/2013 6:19:55 PM
I love loaded questions.
---
GT: Brax
13 12 4 X
#6Dev0311(Topic Creator)Posted 11/5/2013 6:27:17 PM
SythisTaru posted...
People have literally no idea what the Kinect 2 is capable of. It's just a matter of time until a dev uses it.

That's exactly the problem. MS is banking on possibilities that just aren't here today.
#7AurawhispererPosted 11/5/2013 6:28:57 PM
If I want motion, I'll stick with the Wii. Xbox when I first started playing it on the 360 was bested for a laid back console
---
Loving Pokemon X. Best Gen ever created :D
FC is- 3695 0271 8597. Zak: Safari Flying- Woobat, Farfetch'd, and Rufflet.
#8Dev0311(Topic Creator)Posted 11/5/2013 6:33:28 PM
69bladez posted...
The potential is there. Between motion control, heart rate effects, voice, etc.... Horror games could be incredible.

Idk. The Kinect concept in general is already years old and what breakthrough gameplay additions came out of that? Just Dance and that's probably it.

This new Kinect is just an upgraded version of a peripheral that didn't really make a noticeable impact in any game genres to begin with, outside of dance games.
#9SythisTaruPosted 11/5/2013 6:34:40 PM
It's not even about the motion anymore, Kinect 2 (and even Kinect 1, just in less detail) can read facial expressions, track eye movements and pupil dilation all in real-time. If online games wanted, they could have full real-time lipsync and eye motion-capture, which would make interacting with other players way more immersive than it's ever been before. This could be especially cool for RPGs and MMO's.That's just one of the uses for it.
#10scoobydoobydontPosted 11/5/2013 6:40:46 PM
Well worth it. Easily the best hardware feature of not only Xbox One, but the best hardware "gimmick" of this coming gen. What's better, a touch screen? A touch PAD? Sony's constantly not good enough camera? If Sony pulls off VR well, it'll change maybe, but for now Kinect is the best thing going on the hardware side of things.
---
"I don't hate people, I just feel better when they're not around." - Charles Bukowski
http://i.imgur.com/mRh5ifp.png