Battle of the gimmicks: Is Kinect worth it?

#11KID VIDPosted 11/5/2013 7:41:59 PM
Dev0311 posted...
69bladez posted...
The potential is there. Between motion control, heart rate effects, voice, etc.... Horror games could be incredible.

Idk. The Kinect concept in general is already years old and what breakthrough gameplay additions came out of that? Just Dance and that's probably it.

This new Kinect is just an upgraded version of a peripheral that didn't really make a noticeable impact in any game genres to begin with, outside of dance games.

Maybe it didn't make an impact on any game genres, but I had fun with my wife, daughter and friends playing some Kinect games. You can't put a price on those cherished memories.
---
Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KIDD VIDD
#12gameboybrycePosted 11/5/2013 7:42:15 PM
My thing is what big time dev has came out and talked about how the kinect will help them realize their next gen dreams? None.

I said this in my other post but I'll say it here too.

As a gamer who speaks for the majority of gamers Microsoft's focus on being the only device in your living room is foolish. I'm not knocking all the features that the X1 has but Microsoft's focus on being a jack of all trades will leave them as a master of none. Microsoft incorrectly assumes that the casual non gaming crowd will spend $500 on a device that they will associate as a gaming device. Like I said no big time dev has come out and talked about how the Kinect will help them utilize their next gen gaming dream. The Kinect is a dead dream that Microsoft should never have invested that much money into again. The motion control fad is gone and passed. Sales for the Wii dropped off back in 2011 while sales for the PS3 and 360 continued to pick up steam. Sales for the 360 (with Kinect) dropped off in 2012 while sales for the PS3 kept going strong. Kinect sales went strong for awhile then continued to drop off.

To any analysts this would show that motion controls were like 3D. Fun at the point in time but now let's go back to what we know and love. Microsoft decided that people still wanted the Kinect even though market evidence was of the contrary.
---
This board has become a haven for Sony trolls, you have no idea what it is like going to sleep each night punching your pillow furiously.~TrashBoat
LMAO
#13SythisTaruPosted 11/5/2013 7:42:25 PM
scoobydoobydont posted...
Well worth it. Easily the best hardware feature of not only Xbox One, but the best hardware "gimmick" of this coming gen. What's better, a touch screen? A touch PAD? Sony's constantly not good enough camera? If Sony pulls off VR well, it'll change maybe, but for now Kinect is the best thing going on the hardware side of things.

Yah, I actually wish the Kinect 2 that comes with Xbox One would be usable on PC, but from what I've read, it doesn't have an adapter like Kinect 1 did. I've already pre-ordered a dev-kit http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming/consoles/kinect-2-for-windows-moving-to-developers-this-november-1162066 , but 399 kinda annoying :P I'd rather just be able to buy an Xbox One!
#14SilentS89Posted 11/5/2013 7:55:59 PM
SythisTaru posted...
People have literally no idea what the Kinect 2 is capable of...

Sounds like Microsoft has been doing a poor job of informing the public and justifying their Kinect.
#15SythisTaruPosted 11/5/2013 7:56:46 PM
SilentS89 posted...
SythisTaru posted...
People have literally no idea what the Kinect 2 is capable of...

Sounds like Microsoft has been doing a poor job of informing the public and justifying their Kinect.

They have been definitely.
#16ImThe8thWonderPosted 11/5/2013 9:19:30 PM(edited)
SythisTaru posted...
People have literally no idea what the Kinect 2 is capable of. It's just a matter of time until a dev uses it.

So gesture controls and voice commands are completely new to gaming and or technology as a whole? Weird...could have sworn there was a kinect before the XB1's kinect...

Anywho, nobody needs to be a rocket scientist to know that on a gaming level, the kinect will only supplement the controller. It will be of lesser importance and relevance than the controller itself when it comes to most games, save for the casual motion games (like dance central). Its accuracy in motion detection or voice recognition isn't what is in question here. Even if it is the best motion peripheral in the world, it is still just a motion peripheral.

Given how it will not replace or improve on the basic controller actions, its importance to the individual is subjective and possible even in this point in time. If you like motion gaming, you'll like the kinect 2. If you're a core gamer who doesn't care for those things, there is nothing there that will surprise you.
---
The Xbox One board: Where people don't believe that objective superiority for consoles exist but will attack you on your general opinions if they disagree.
#17Dannyson97Posted 11/5/2013 9:15:53 PM
The Wii also had BC, I would rather have that then the kinect. The Wii had the gimmick used to it's fullest by making the console revolve around it. The kinect it's optional, a option very few take seriously it's not required for many things on the system, and it's affecting the whole system in bad way.
---
I'm pro Nintendo, my friend is pro Sony,
my other friend is pro Microsoft.
#18MikasaAyanamiPosted 11/5/2013 9:22:04 PM
It's not worth it.
#19BraxSimeonPosted 11/5/2013 11:38:06 PM
KID VID posted...
Dev0311 posted...
69bladez posted...
The potential is there. Between motion control, heart rate effects, voice, etc.... Horror games could be incredible.

Idk. The Kinect concept in general is already years old and what breakthrough gameplay additions came out of that? Just Dance and that's probably it.

This new Kinect is just an upgraded version of a peripheral that didn't really make a noticeable impact in any game genres to begin with, outside of dance games.

Maybe it didn't make an impact on any game genres, but I had fun with my wife, daughter and friends playing some Kinect games. You can't put a price on those cherished memories.

Yep. Guitar Hero, Dance Central, and Kinect Sports are the most fun a lot of "non-gamers" have had at my place. I know of MANY people that bought consoles just for Rock Band and 360s just for a Kinect game. People on GameFAQs have such a hard time realizing not everyone thinks about games the same way that they do. Sometimes, the "gimmicks" to one person are the "features that matter" to another.
---
GT: Brax
13 12 4 X
#20monkeyluv101Posted 11/5/2013 11:46:32 PM
If developers make solid use of it, then of course, if it ends up being as useless as it is now then no, that's $100 extra down the drain. I would like for it to be implemented on a solid basis, but kind of have my doubts, developers are inherently lazy to make use of such things...Unless exclusives...