Why are people acting like launch exclusives matter?

#41EvilTrashPosted 11/6/2013 5:31:07 AM
I thought it was pretty obvious that Microsoft moved some of their developments from 360 to One to pad out their launch window? Ryse, for sure. Whether other titles were ever being developed for 360 is kind of irrelevant to what I'm trying to say, which is that Microsoft kind of gave up on developing games for the 360 a while ago. Meanwhile, Sony has shown continued strong support for the PS3. There are exactly 3 disc-based retail games that Microsoft has released (or will release) in 2013 for the Xbox 360: Gears of War Judgment, Zoo Tycoon, and Minecraft.

The only real exclusive for core gamers this whole year is Gears of War: Judgment, and that was back at the very beginning of the year. I don't think anyone takes Zoo Tycoon or a port of Minecraft seriously as core game support from the first party.

Sony on the other hand has released Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, MLB 13: The Show, God of War: Ascension, The Last of Us, Puppeteer, and Beyond: Two Souls, and still will release later this year Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus and Gran Turismo 6.

Rather than abandoning their console and moving all developments onto the new machine, current generation owners are still be given plenty of first party options throughout the year.

Now that these games are all finished, developments are going to be swinging over to the PS4 and you'll start to see huge quantities of releases on the PS4 next year and in the future. If you ask me, the couple of games difference you see between the launch windows from Microsoft and Sony is a good indicator for Sony... they haven't abandoned their current machine, they didn't halt all major developments for the current machine over a year ago and just start releasing games basically only on the new machine. Sony CAN release more games than Microsoft, they just chose to devote some resources to the new machine and leave some on the old machine. NOW those resources will all shift to the new machine and you'll really start to see a lot of PS4 games being announced in the coming months.
#42GothmogzPosted 11/6/2013 9:09:41 AM
Every argument of I want to play now, is bad, as they are making a 5 or more year investment based of the enjoy of a couple months as much.
---
Gamertag: Alehappy
#43embrandedonePosted 11/7/2013 1:38:11 PM
Ramsus082 posted...
Bragging rights. You'll notice nobody ever talks about Kameo or PDZ anymore. Or whatever the hell the PS3 launched with. They're just another tally on the board for obsessed gamers' console of choice.

---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzLUYX7M1SQ -- The Xbox One Board
#44PraetorXynPosted 11/7/2013 5:24:05 PM
Gothmogz posted...
Every argument of I want to play now, is bad, as they are making a 5 or more year investment based of the enjoy of a couple months as much.

This.

Not to mention that Microsoft has come out and said all first party games will be coming to PC.

I don't want a PS4 either as none of Sony's exclusives interest me. But buying any console based solely on its launch window is idiotic. People should know that system sellers won't be releasing until the machine's been out for at least a year. By which time there's a good chance the "elite" or "Slim" or whatever else SDK's will probably be out.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#45PsychoGatesPosted 11/7/2013 5:27:20 PM
um, launch window should be the only reason to buy a console now, otherwise you shouldnt be getting the console period.

If you dont like the games then you shouldnt get them, if you like games that will come out in the future of the console then you should wait till those games come out.

Never understood this argument, if you are buying the system then it better be because it currently has games you want to play...
#46assassin10133Posted 11/7/2013 5:35:40 PM
Launch games matter because look at the Wii U. Initial hype sold it good at launch, lack of games made console sales tank after. Best way to sell hardware is with good software.
#47darkness1018Posted 11/7/2013 5:40:08 PM(edited)
They matter to me so ill have something to play when I get the system. The reason Im not getting a PS4 at launch is nothing interest me until InFamous Second Son in feb. I'm getting an Xbone at launch for Dead Rising 3 & Ryse. I agree that long term Sony always has the better exclusives hence why I've sold my 360 but will keep my PS3.
---
PSN: nightwing2099 (PS3 & PS Vita)
Systems I own: PS2, PS3, PSP, PSV, Original Xbox
#48elchris79Posted 11/7/2013 5:43:51 PM
The did matter to me. That's why I went 360 and got a PS3 back in 2010. This gen, I don't feel it's a big deal. Most games I want to play are x-platform, and looked at as a whole it's a great lineup for both next gen consoles. Best I remember anyway since I swapped my Amiga for a PS1.
#49Bigdaddy422Posted 11/7/2013 5:44:39 PM
Better question to ask is "why by a system at launch, if not for launch exclusives?"

I have never bought a system at launch to say Oh man i cant wait for the games that come out in a year.

And im pretty sure Titanfall will still be talked about. Along with DR3.
#50scoobydoobydontPosted 11/7/2013 5:47:51 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
scoobydoobydont posted...
Ramsus082 posted...
Bragging rights. You'll notice nobody ever talks about Kameo or PDZ anymore. Or whatever the hell the PS3 launched with. They're just another tally on the board for obsessed gamers' console of choice.

Kameo is brought up regularly, actually.

As how horrible it is

No, I don't mean the clueless trolls like you, I mean real gamers who cite it as a game that still holds up visually and was pretty great to play as well. Sorry if I confused your tiny troll brain.
---
"I don't hate people, I just feel better when they're not around." - Charles Bukowski
http://i.imgur.com/mRh5ifp.png