New version of Kinect is pretty impressive sounding !

#1archibald3Posted 11/7/2013 11:27:23 AM
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/11/07/how-next-gen-kinect-is-more-accurate-than-ever

I`m a little suprised in all this console ballyhoo that all the other features and possibilities of the xbox one aren`t more of a factor in peoples decision. I have a 360 and a ps3 and i`ve got to say i much prefer the interface on the xbox. The ps3 has the utilitarian interface of a blu-ray players menu or something. The interface of the xbox one combined with the motion and voice activation kind of blows away the ps4 - yet its completely lost in kids shouting about pixels and framerates.
#2BadLuckIncPosted 11/7/2013 11:30:16 AM
I'm excited for the new Kinect, and really happy that EVERYONE who owns an Xbox One will have the option to use the Kinect. This gives more incentive for developers to use it in great new ways. Never had a fear about spying or whatnot that 65 year old gamers and 12 year olds had =)
---
Xbox One Day 1 edition Pre-Ordered via Amazon~ Arrival Date Nov 22nd!
Xbox GT: Bad Luck Ink ~]=|~ Wii U NNID: BadLuckInk
#3EllesarienPosted 11/7/2013 11:31:53 AM
I agree...but this won't end well.
---
I will try and see it from your point of view, but I doubt we'll be able to fit both our heads up there.
#4Dev0311Posted 11/7/2013 11:46:39 AM
Kinect is useless outside of casual dance/fitness games. I'm getting tired of the phrase 'Kinect will be awesome if developers make good use of it' my goodness...

Hello?! Kinect is already years old. If there wasn't any interesting, worthwhile implementations back then, what makes you think there will be any now? It's the same peripheral but can now see you in the dark and scan your room for Doritos. Whoop-dee-doo.

Like I said, the honeymoon phase is over for Kinect, it's a burnt out match. The hype train had left the building years ago, and somehow people still think that it's gonna ignite again? People are more impressed by genuinely new innovations, not upgraded versions of concepts already released years ago.

So what if the new Kinect can sense your heart rate or see you in the dark? MS has not demonstrated enough practical applications in its launch titles to get excited over this new Kinect. But if you like daydreaming about all the new features that may be possible one day, be my guest.... Just don't get mad that others don't share the same kind of vivid imagination as you.
#5SlikkSterrPosted 11/7/2013 12:12:05 PM
Dev0311 posted...
Kinect is useless outside of casual dance/fitness games. I'm getting tired of the phrase 'Kinect will be awesome if developers make good use of it' my goodness...

Hello?! Kinect is already years old. If there wasn't any interesting, worthwhile implementations back then, what makes you think there will be any now? It's the same peripheral but can now see you in the dark and scan your room for Doritos. Whoop-dee-doo.

Like I said, the honeymoon phase is over for Kinect, it's a burnt out match. The hype train had left the building years ago, and somehow people still think that it's gonna ignite again? People are more impressed by genuinely new innovations, not upgraded versions of concepts already released years ago.

So what if the new Kinect can sense your heart rate or see you in the dark? MS has not demonstrated enough practical applications in its launch titles to get excited over this new Kinect. But if you like daydreaming about all the new features that may be possible one day, be my guest.... Just don't get mad that others don't share the same kind of vivid imagination as you.

But there were. Voice commands were a fantastic start and they can build on that. Changimg weapons in mass effect on the fly without having to pause the action was great. Same with its use in Skyrim. I'm sorry you didn't find the value in it, but there's more coming them just dance/fitness. It wasn't utilized enough by big titles because it wasn't something they could count on everyone having access to. I see great things coming that will supplement controllers, not replace them. I'm sorry you can't be excited for this tech, but maybe it will change your mind in the coming years. You may want to read your last sentence to yourself with non vivid inserted
#6teehee23Posted 11/7/2013 12:14:41 PM
Kinect 2.0 is a game changer and more proofs that Xbox #1 is the champion of next gen.
---
I don't deserve to be so happy. :)
#7archibald3(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2013 7:07:34 PM
Dev0311 posted...

Sorry but you seem like the person with no imagination. Its interesting because i believe the direct opposite to be true -kinect was a technology in its infancy and is now maturing in its capabilities on xbox one. Sony owners are going to be left in the dirt in that regard.

What i can`t imagine is where any technology would be if it was never given a chance to grow and was thrown on the scrapheap just because peoples attention span is like that of a gnat.

I`m pretty excited about the capabilities of the xbox one , both game and slick media center. I have both consoles now but i`m going to take a pass on the ps4. The xbox one is far more then just a gaming machine and that`s being grossly overlooked by kids in their fanboy zeal to get at the next Ratchet and Clank game.
#8ImThe8thWonderPosted 11/7/2013 7:11:59 PM
Yeah...supplemental actions don't impress me at all. Microsoft should contact me once they create a peripheral that replaces the controller as a whole. I'm not interested in an expensive controller side-kick.
---
The Xbox One board: Where people don't believe that objective superiority for consoles exist but will attack you on your general opinions if they disagree.
#9SlikkSterrPosted 11/7/2013 7:25:55 PM
ImThe8thWonder posted...
Yeah...supplemental actions don't impress me at all. Microsoft should contact me once they create a peripheral that replaces the controller as a whole. I'm not interested in an expensive controller side-kick.

That's interesting because I'm not interested in replacing the controller at all, but pumped about the supplemental stuff. I guess the conclusion we can come to is people have different tastes and different opinions. It sounds like there is going to be a little of both of these options.
#10elchris79Posted 11/7/2013 7:30:53 PM
BadLuckInc posted...
I'm excited for the new Kinect, and really happy that EVERYONE who owns an Xbox One will have the option to use the Kinect. This gives more incentive for developers to use it in great new ways. Never had a fear about spying or whatnot that 65 year old gamers and 12 year olds had =)

Developers will only use this to an advantage if it's platform exclusive. Otherwise, why risk alienating another system by forcing them to buy a diet version of the game? Gimmicks don't work. They worked for the Wii in terms of actual consoles sold, not in terms of games sold, which is where the real cheddar is.